Skylake Non-K Overclock on ES? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Skylake Non-K Overclock on ES?

post #11 of 1442 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 03:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
You seem pretty knowledgeable regarding the engineering sample CPUs so if you wouldn't mind I would like to ask a few questions.

The base clock is 2.2Ghz with boost to 2.6Ghz, should you be able to set 26 as the max multiplier?

Do you see any reason you wouldn't be able to BLCK overclock these ES CPUs?

I ask because being limited to a x22 multiplier means that a base clock of over 180 would be required just to reach 4Ghz. I BCLK overclocked an i5 6400 and it was stable at 4.4Ghz (163 or 164 base clock I can't remember) at only ~1.25V, but bumping up the multiplier by just 1 caused issues no matter the voltage (boot but with no monitor output, wasn't boot looping). I am guessing this was likely due to my motherboard not having an additional clock gen like manty Z170 boards do (I was using a MSI Z170A PC MATE).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 1442 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 03:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 202 (Unique: 167)
The max 26 multiplier is likely only available when running the default 100 MHz BCLK and it might only be available when a single core is active. On locked CPUs, as more cores become active, the multiplier usually drops. When BCLK overclocking, you are stuck with the 22 multiplier and you will need to use a board that likes to run at a very high BCLK to get the most out of your chip.

Some Asus Z170 boards have a feature called Pro Clock Technology which allows them to run at sky high BCLK values.
Quote:
Meet ASUS Pro Clock, a dedicated base-clock (BCLK) generator designed for 6th-generation Intel® processors that ramps BCLK frequencies up to 400MHz or even beyond*.

This feature is available on their high end boards but there are some boards like the Z170-E that also use Asus Pro Clock at a reasonable price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132691&cm_re=z170-e-_-13-132-691-_-Product

Here is a list of Asus boards that shows which boards have this feature.

http://www.asus.com/us/site/motherboards/Z170/compare/

Other manufacturers might have a similar feature.

post #13 of 1442 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Well shoot. I bought a used z170-k, which doesn't have that feature. I guess I should probably resell it back out and get one with the pro clock thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 1442 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
ES, engineering sample, which means what ever Intel enabled on that CPU will be enabled and there is no way for anyone to find out, you just gotta test it yourself what works and what doesn't. I don't know if Intel owns ES sample CPUs but obviously someone got their hands on them and is selling them, maybe if Intel wasn't so greedy and wasn't locking BCLK OC out of everything but K series people wouldn't consider so much to buy cheaper ES random samples on ebay.
The BCLK OC on Skylake has been disabled by microcode, mobo manufacturers also updated their newer UEFI versions that removed the BCLK OC for nonK, Intel stomped on it as usual when people started buying cheapest i5 and i7 instead of overpriced 6600K and 6700K while achieving similar OC. Too bad you can't just enable HT on i5s etc. by using a pencil, such tricks were possible many years ago to unlock CPU features. Intel wants people to buy K series if they want to OC, pay the hefty price for it and disable it for everyone else so they can keep the money going until AMD comes up with something better to challenge them.
post #15 of 1442 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

BCLK overclocking is pretty much in the exact same state as it was when it was first released. With the correct bios, you can BCLK OC to your heart's desire. MSI has even released an updated BIOS:

http://overclocking.guide/updated-msi-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide-new-bios/
post #16 of 1442 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiemal View Post

Well shoot. I bought a used z170-k, which doesn't have that feature. I guess I should probably resell it back out and get one with the pro clock thing.

Without an external clock gen 170 is the highest you can set the base clock, so ~3.7Ghz max with a 22 multiplier.

I would wait to get the board and chip to ensure that BCLK overclocking works on the eng sample chip before investing more into another mobo.
post #17 of 1442 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

...so this is odd
I got the chip motherboard and all that set up today. Started to test things.... Got the clock up to 150 mhz.

What's weird though.... Is that the BIOS version is from 10/26/2015... Which I'm pretty sure is before they released the whole non k overclock.

BIOS also reports that turbo still operates fine, along with accurate temperatures.

I'll do more extensive testing tonight when I get home from work. Gonna get Windows running and do some benchmarks and whatnot. Pretty excited!!!

post #18 of 1442 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 202 (Unique: 167)
The Ebay seller has dropped his price 10% so if your numbers look good, he might have some buyers lining up.

It will be interesting to see if Turbo Boost still works in Windows when you have the BCLK at 150 MHz. Looking forward to your tests.

The benchmark in XTU should confirm if the AVX instructions are working or not.

post #19 of 1442 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 02:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 16)
I have this cpu+asrock z170 pro4s, can in fact say that the low end boards like ours will not get much further than 172.8 stable.
I have tried it on a different motherboard and got over 190 but it wasn't mine. Will be looking into purchasing a better board at a later date still want to pick up a second gtx 980 first.
post #20 of 1442 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

this is what i'll leave with for the night.

I haven't had a chance to really play around with any values yet, but turbo boost does in fact seem to work. The frequency also changes dynamically, so speedstep is still working. Temperature readings however are not, and is stuck at 100 C as expected.

I can't seem to get intel XTU to actually start though, I wonder if it's having issues since it's an ES processor. Throttlestop also won't work, says it's an unsupported CPU. Guess OCing will have to be solely on the bios then, unless there's some other program I'm unaware of that could potentially work. smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in