Overclocking a Xeon x5670 on an Asus p6t? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Overclocking a Xeon x5670 on an Asus p6t?

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hey, I just purchased a xeon x5670 to replace my old i7 930 (lga 1366), so I can keep my motherboard and extend it's lifespan a little longer. it's an asus p6t, no deluxe version, no special edition, just the p6t model.

I've read a few overclocking guides, but there are many small details that I can't keep up with. at one end, I read a guide where I just had to enable something, dial the multiplier and get going, while at the other end, another guide made very little specific changes to different voltages that I just couldn't get a clue what those meant. I've seen a few guides between those two, and many guides for different or slightly different motherboards, with different settings, so for me it's still very confusing, and that's the reason I'm asking for help here.

my cpu cooler is a noctua nh-d14, wich is the bigger/better that would have clearance for my ram dimms, and fit into my case, a nzxt s340. it has plenty airflow, I replaced the stock fans with 2 corsair af-140 as intakes, one af-140 as top exhaust, and one 120mm corsair fan as back exhaust, wich I took from my carbide air 240 case at work. my room temperature is never above 20ºC, and currently the cpu package is idling at 32ºc.

so I think I should have plenty headroom to do a decent overclock, just need some directions.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 08:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
What's your idea of "decent"?

The chips usually overclock from 3.8 to 4.2GHz easily. You gotta keep an eye on the QPI frequency and Uncore speeds for the most part.

CPU
Xeon X5690 3.46GHz
Motherboard
Asrock X58 Extreme
GPU
EVGA GeForce GT 210
RAM
Muskin
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex2 SSD
Hard Drive
8 x Samsung 1Tb F3
Power Supply
2009 Seasonic X650w Gold
Cooling
Megahalems
Case
ABS Black Pearl
Operating System
Windows 10 64 Professional
Monitor
Asus VG278H
Keyboard
Steelseries 6Gv2 Cherry MX Reds
Mouse
MS Sidewinder X3
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

In general I consider a 30-40% boost to be a decent overclock. 20%- poor and 50%+ great.

my intention is to get around 40-50 percent boost, I don't expect much more than 50%, but anything above 40% I'll consider a success.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

right so... trying to get started here

my bclk is 133 and apparently multiplier goes up to 24, even though cpuz says 25, bios only allows 24.

so I could just dial 24 on cpu ratio setting, and set bclk to 170 to try to get a starting 4.08ghz, but I'm sure there's more to it. I don't know what voltages I should change, by how much, I don't know what ram timings I need to manually dial in, there are so many.

so I'll just upload some screenshots of my bios see if I can get some help that way.

I just disabled c1e and eist wich disabled turbo mode with it, and set the ai overclock tuner to manual even though I didn't dial anything yet.

I did a quick test with prime95 to see my voltage, and I don't know why, but apparently while Idle it stays around 1.106v while under load it decreases to 1.070v for some reason. no clue what's going on.woth mentioning that with bios on stock, core voltage varies between 0.952v to 1.2v while during a prime95 stress test, it's fixed at 1.184v

so yeah, I don't know where to start

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 05:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

So with your BCLK your QPI frequency and Uncore speed change, as well as your RAM speed. When you change your BLCK for core overclocking you'll also be stability testing these three other areas. Isolate one thing at a time. To give you general ideas about these three areas we will start with the QPI Frequency. In my findings the QPI PLL and CPU VTT voltages seem to do best when they are = to each other. My Uncore is able to hit 3.8GHz while my QPI frequency can push 4GHz with both set to 1.325v - other boards will vary. At 170 x 24 you are pushing 4GHz on the QPI freq (if you are running 6.4GT/s). That's too high to start off with, I would use the lowest multi which is aka the 18 multiplier. There also is a 'slow mode' which some boards offer. Also set your Uncore multi to 18x and you won't need to touch any of the voltages for either QPI or Uncore. I think some boards default both at 1.20v Mine does, anyways.

Now with your core overclocking remove all the power saving features, and keep Speed Step activated. No need to run it wide open if i'ts not necessary. The easiest way to control your core speed is through the power settings in your control panel.. I made a short cut for each of the three. I think this will walk you through setting them up on desktop. Getting back to your 170x24 core overclock I'm thinking 1.10v is a little too low but you never know. Some chips can do it. So go ahead and test it out with the settings I mentioned above that isolate the core clocks. Don't forget to use the lowest ram multi so we can be sure any error that comes up is from the cores. Personally I use IBT 2.54v for stability testing, as well as Asus Real Bench. I've found that if Real Bench doesn't complete a check of my system and tell me it's 'done' then something isn't stable.

CPU
Xeon X5690 3.46GHz
Motherboard
Asrock X58 Extreme
GPU
EVGA GeForce GT 210
RAM
Muskin
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex2 SSD
Hard Drive
8 x Samsung 1Tb F3
Power Supply
2009 Seasonic X650w Gold
Cooling
Megahalems
Case
ABS Black Pearl
Operating System
Monitor
Asus VG278H
Keyboard
Mouse
MS Sidewinder X3
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

thanks for replying

let me just slow you down a bit, these differences in the terms between different bios is what confuses me the most.

so I should set the multipliers to 18x, would that be in my bios the CPU Ration Setting and the QPI Link data rate?
the other thing would be setting QPI PLL and CPU VTT to 1.325v? I'm not sure wich ones are those in my bios, there's CPU PLL voltage and QPI/DRAM core voltage but that doesn't seem right

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 09:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 14)
When you attempt to overclock the CPU's core frequency, you'll be interacting with the BCLK Frequency. When changing the BCLK Frequency, this will affect the DRAM Frequency, UCLK Frequency, and QPI Link Data Rate alongside the core frequency. With the P6T motherboards, however, the only multiplier they'll display is the CPU Ratio Setting (core multiplier) if you manually set it. Multipliers for DRAM, UCLK, and QPI are displayed as what their final frequencies (Data Rate for QPI) will be.

To get started, you can set the BCLK Frequency to 170 and CPU Voltage to 1.25. Now set DRAM Frequency, UCLK Frequency, and QPI to the lowest values presented and set QPI/DRAM Core Voltage to 1.25 so that tests can be focused on core stability for the moment. PLEASE NOTE: These settings are merely suggestions to get you started. Optionally, set DRAM Bus Voltage to 1.5 if you want to explicitly tell the motherboard the voltage (1.5 volts in this case) to supply to RAM. All selections in DRAM Timing Control are fine being left as [Auto].

Once you save these changes, grab a temperature monitor for the CPU and a few stress test programs such as Prime95 and LinX [or IBT]. It's always worth stress testing with more than one program since one program may trigger an error that another program doesn't. If you run into a BSOD, this list can be useful for figuring out the source of the instability.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Right, thanks.
Just did everything you said, then two different stress tests, and no bsods. Temps are stable at ~62°c at 1.25v and peaked at 64°c.

The cpu ratio setting is set to auto, so it's 170*22 now, giving me a 3.74ghz.

Gonna run a few more tests, then what's next?

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

should I increase the CPU ratio setting to 24? it's on auto and it's only giving me a 22.

edit: mistyped GPU instead of CPU.

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by fael097 View Post

should I increase the gpu ratio setting to 24? it's on auto and it's only giving me a 22.

Looking through your bios options and i'm not seeing gpu ratio.. :hmm:

CPU
Xeon X5690 3.46GHz
Motherboard
Asrock X58 Extreme
GPU
EVGA GeForce GT 210
RAM
Muskin
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex2 SSD
Hard Drive
8 x Samsung 1Tb F3
Power Supply
2009 Seasonic X650w Gold
Cooling
Megahalems
Case
ABS Black Pearl
Operating System
Monitor
Asus VG278H
Keyboard
Mouse
MS Sidewinder X3
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in