i7 8700k overclock results and settings - Page 412 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

i7 8700k overclock results and settings

Old 01-31-2019, 10:17 AM
New to Overclock.net
postem Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by ArneR View Post
Haswell / Devils Canyon and Broadwell has a FIVR on die, that explains that. I used adaptive on my 4790k on an Asus z97-e, so naturally I went the adaptive route with the 8700k too, as I really like the power savings as opposed to a manual vcore and full perf overclock.
I tested power consume in fixed voltage vs adaptive.
In terms of raw power draw its almost irrelevant, when cpu is idle current draw is very low, and with speedstep it can low to 800mhz.

Voltage alone doesnt means anything, you can shave some watts while running on lowest speedstep values with low voltage, and it can add up in long term, but its pretty common during common usage, like going into browser the cpu will spike to full turbo frequency.

What i mean is, you can have some watt savings, but its not anything in the range of 40w+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 10:24 PM
New to Overclock.net
ArneR

I'm aware that it might not be the biggest savings, but as it is winter now and the electricity bill is ridiculously high some savings are better than none.
However, I have yet to successfully have the cpu downvolt and downclock without using adaptive vcore, enbaling only speedstep or c-states or whatever will not work for me. Adaptive vcore and balanced powerplan does the trick, and that makes me happy.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:04 AM
New to Overclock.net
postem Level 1

I'm aware that it might not be the biggest savings, but as it is winter now and the electricity bill is ridiculously high some savings are better than none.
However, I have yet to successfully have the cpu downvolt and downclock without using adaptive vcore, enbaling only speedstep or c-states or whatever will not work for me. Adaptive vcore and balanced powerplan does the trick, and that makes me happy.
This is a big concern here too, with 1$+ for a kilowatt/hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 03:14 PM
New to Overclock.net
TaintedEon Level 1

So I made my own post but I'm wondering if this would be a better spot...

Can't OC a i7 8700k on Asus Prime z370-p

So I've currently got everything on stock except for the ram profile...but no matter what video I follow/guide I look at, it won't boot/fails shortly after. I've used various videos as other resources and nothing works...any advice? Any solid way to determine what the issue is?

Here are my results at stock using a Coolermaster 212 running small prime 95 26.6

https://imgur.com/a/6uaoa47

Newest version of prime 95

https://imgur.com/a/0yYo8wK

Attached is also my intel...for some reason the "powers" tab under CPUID kept fluctuating pretty heavily thus the temp changes in green...any advice?

https://imgur.com/a/eYLpuyj

Last edited by TaintedEon; 02-07-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:09 AM
New to Overclock.net
Thoth420 is an unknown quantity at this point Thoth420 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all. I am pretty new to overclocking and am using an 8700k(no delid) on the Maximus Code X (release BIOS) cooled by an H150i Pro(fans and pump at max duty, ambient room temp is 73F max) and would like to know what various software(and versions if that matters) I should I use for stability testing AND thermal testing this chip as well as what software is most trustworthy for monitoring temps etc.? My goal is just a modest 24/7 gaming OC but even if I don't plan on using programs with AVX it would be nice to know the system is stable no matter what is tossed at it and if that means losing .1 or something to do it that's ok and I also don't mind using an AVX offset either to achieve this.

I am starting with a base of 4.7 (all cores synced) , MCE OFF, AVX Offset 0, LLC 5 @ 1.3v which is a combination of settings from the deb8auer video guide and this guide:

RAM is set to 3200 14 14 34 @ 1.35 which is it's out of the box specs.

If you all have any other setting suggestions or need to know what I have for other unlisted settings please let me know will be happy to supply.

I appreciate it ahead of time and thanks for reading.

P.S. Before someone inevitably asks why my BIOS is so out of date. I have never updated one and we get spotty power during the winter so I would prefer to wait until the weather is better and ever since I have put these values I haven't experienced any issues like I did with XMP on this version so why fix it if not broken. The only thing is one of the settings was missing from what the guy had in the guide but he left that one default anyways so I am assuming its not a big deal.

Last edited by Thoth420; 02-08-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:39 AM
New to Overclock.net
ArneR

Quote: Originally Posted by Thoth420 View Post
Hi all. I am pretty new to overclocking and am using an 8700k(no delid) on the Maximus Code X (release BIOS) cooled by an H150i Pro(fans and pump at max duty, ambient room temp is 73F max) and would like to know what various software(and versions if that matters) I should I use for stability testing AND thermal testing this chip as well as what software is most trustworthy for monitoring temps etc.? My goal is just a modest 24/7 gaming OC but even if I don't plan on using programs with AVX it would be nice to know the system is stable no matter what is tossed at it and if that means losing .1 or something to do it that's ok and I also don't mind using an AVX offset either to achieve this.

I am starting with a base of 4.7 (all cores synced) , MCE OFF, AVX Offset 0, LLC 5 @ 1.3v which is a combination of settings from the deb8auer video guide and this guide:
https://youtu.be/pbRauc8gpQM

RAM is set to 3200 14 14 34 @ 1.35 which is it's out of the box specs.

If you all have any other setting suggestions or need to know what I have for other unlisted settings please let me know will be happy to supply.

I appreciate it ahead of time and thanks for reading.

P.S. Before someone inevitably asks why my BIOS is so out of date. I have never updated one and we get spotty power during the winter so I would prefer to wait until the weather is better and ever since I have put these values I haven't experienced any issues like I did with XMP on this version so why fix it if not broken. The only thing is one of the settings was missing from what the guy had in the guide but he left that one default anyways so I am assuming its not a big deal.
First, begin with setting LLC to lvl6, IA AC/DC loadline to 0.01 and set vcore to auto. Yes, that's right, auto. SVID needs to be either auto or enabled, since you are leaving the vcore up to the cpu it self. Keep the multi at 47x sync all for now. This way you get a feel for what the default VID in your chip is preprogrammed to, and you will find that it is completely stable even during p95 loads, as long as you have some form of decent cooling. The reason I recommend this is because there really is no need to feed the cpu 1.3v on 47x, IF the default VID is maybe 1,25v. I've found that this voltage with LLC6 (no vdroop) is stable under all circumstances.

Next step would be to bump the multi up to 48x leaving everything else the same. You should find that you are 99% just as stable, in my case I only needed to set vcore +5mv for full stability, no WHEA errors or anything.

From there it is only a matter of trial and error, since the default VID table stops after the highest single core multi which is 47x on an 8700k. Just for information, my cpu defaulted to 1.255v at 47x which is 1.260 VID (+5mv discrepancy over vcore reading), 1.260v was enough for 48x, 49x needed 1,270v, and 50x 1,305v. These are non avx loads by the way. You will find that hwinfo periodically reports vcore/VID spikes, these are the AVX offset preprogrammed into your spesific cpu. It ranges from +10mv in one cpu all the way up to +60mv in another, it all depends on silicon quality and luck of the draw I guess. The one I have now has a default vcore offset during AVX loads of +40mv, which is completely smoothed out when using an AVX offset multiplier of -2, meaning the vcore readings are more or less equal regardless of avx or non avx loads. The frequency drops ofcourse though, but during gaming that drop is only momentarily, and as soon as the job is done it reverts to the same max freq. meaning you won't notice much of anything.

You might also want to check your vccio and vccsa voltages, especially if you just set XMP. Those tend to get set way to high using XMP, over 1,3v was normal during early bios revisions. I've set my SA voltage to 1.15, and IO to 1.05, using same ram speed and timings (Trident Z b-die)

When the time comes that you've found the frequency and vcore you want to run daily, I would recommend that you set LLC back to lvl5, and bump the vcore up a little (say 35-40mv) and retest quickly to see if your vcore under load is the same as it was with LLC6.

Good luck, and happy overclocking

Last edited by ArneR; 02-08-2019 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:23 PM
New to Overclock.net
Thoth420 is an unknown quantity at this point Thoth420 is an unknown quantity at this point

First, begin with setting LLC to lvl6, IA AC/DC loadline to 0.01 and set vcore to auto. Yes, that's right, auto. SVID needs to be either auto or enabled, since you are leaving the vcore up to the cpu it self. Keep the multi at 47x sync all for now. This way you get a feel for what the default VID in your chip is preprogrammed to, and you will find that it is completely stable even during p95 loads, as long as you have some form of decent cooling. The reason I recommend this is because there really is no need to feed the cpu 1.3v on 47x, IF the default VID is maybe 1,25v. I've found that this voltage with LLC6 (no vdroop) is stable under all circumstances.

Next step would be to bump the multi up to 48x leaving everything else the same. You should find that you are 99% just as stable, in my case I only needed to set vcore +5mv for full stability, no WHEA errors or anything.

From there it is only a matter of trial and error, since the default VID table stops after the highest single core multi which is 47x on an 8700k. Just for information, my cpu defaulted to 1.255v at 47x which is 1.260 VID (+5mv discrepancy over vcore reading), 1.260v was enough for 48x, 49x needed 1,270v, and 50x 1,305v. These are non avx loads by the way. You will find that hwinfo periodically reports vcore/VID spikes, these are the AVX offset preprogrammed into your spesific cpu. It ranges from +10mv in one cpu all the way up to +60mv in another, it all depends on silicon quality and luck of the draw I guess. The one I have now has a default vcore offset during AVX loads of +40mv, which is completely smoothed out when using an AVX offset multiplier of -2, meaning the vcore readings are more or less equal regardless of avx or non avx loads. The frequency drops ofcourse though, but during gaming that drop is only momentarily, and as soon as the job is done it reverts to the same max freq. meaning you won't notice much of anything.

You might also want to check your vccio and vccsa voltages, especially if you just set XMP. Those tend to get set way to high using XMP, over 1,3v was normal during early bios revisions. I've set my SA voltage to 1.15, and IO to 1.05, using same ram speed and timings (Trident Z b-die)

When the time comes that you've found the frequency and vcore you want to run daily, I would recommend that you set LLC back to lvl5, and bump the vcore up a little (say 35-40mv) and retest quickly to see if your vcore under load is the same as it was with LLC6.

Good luck, and happy overclocking
Wow! Thank you so much! I know my VCCIO and System Agent are both default. I didn't apply xmp for the main profile or the ram, did it all manually(same RAM Trident Z b-die). Should I use Prime95 26.6 or the latest version for temperature testing? What's the best software for stability testing?

Old 02-08-2019, 03:38 PM
New to Overclock.net
ArneR

No problem. I did the same, but you could always input saner voltages after loading the XMP.
You can use whatever, but personally I use two separate folders of prime95 29.4, one where I have disabled AVX (CpuSupportsAVX=0 in local.txt), and one where I have disabled FMA3 (CpuSupportsFMA3=0) in order to test AVX. No need to use an older version when it is that simple to use whatever instructions you'd like. I use p95 for both temp testing and stability testing (small fft's or 1344k min and max inplace fft's), I've found that my pc can handle everything I throw at it after testing with the aforementioned voltages. Since you mostly game, I'd stick to testing with 1344k's

Another popular choice is Asus ROG Realbench, or OCCT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p95_1344.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	252278  

Old 02-08-2019, 04:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

No problem. I did the same, but you could always input saner voltages after loading the XMP.
You can use whatever, but personally I use two separate folders of prime95 29.4, one where I have disabled AVX (CpuSupportsAVX=0 in local.txt), and one where I have disabled FMA3 (CpuSupportsFMA3=0) in order to test AVX. No need to use an older version when it is that simple to use whatever instructions you'd like. I use p95 for both temp testing and stability testing (small fft's or 1344k min and max inplace fft's), I've found that my pc can handle everything I throw at it after testing with the aforementioned voltages. Since you mostly game, I'd stick to testing with 1344k's

Another popular choice is Asus ROG Realbench, or OCCT.
Again ArneR thank you so much for the help! I wasn't aware you could configure the new versions like that. Cheers

Old 02-11-2019, 09:49 PM
New to Overclock.net
CoreyL4 Level 1

was having some issues with my z370 mobo. swapped it out for a z390. wow what a difference that made. overclocks with ease now and all functions (adaptive, etc) work correctly.

Rig 1: i7-5775c @4.1, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @2037/6102, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400, Corsair AX860, Corsair H110i

Rig 2: i7-4790k @4.8, MSI 980ti Gaming X @1440/7800, ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1, Corsair Vengeance Pro 1886, EVGA GS 850W, Corsair H105

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in