How common is 3466 MHz RAM support on coffee lake? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How common is 3466 MHz RAM support on coffee lake?

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
I have a Z370-F Strix, 2x8 GB Samsung B-die(?) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 MHz CÖ16 and an i7 8700K.
The RAM is on my motherboard QVL.

I got blue screens daily of various sorts. Intel XTU one hour processor benchmark was fine. 10 minutes RAM too, or if I'm mixing things up. Prime also ran fine.

However running memtest86 default even within 15 minutes I had 30 errors with XMP on all caused in test 6.

Running test 6 again with sequential core usage over all cores added another 14 errors.

I've run 30+ minutes of two passes of test 6 (block move) sequentual core usage at 2666 MHz haven't generated any error.

Is the largest chance my i7 8700K memory controller too **** for 3466 MHz at least at stock XMP settings?
I figured it would be worry free on Intel because of the high listed numbers as far as MB support goes and all the whining on AMD.

I have an MSI Gaming M5 card here too should I try to see if I get better results with that?

I guess I could try single modules and frequencies in between as well as running a but longer on 2666 MHz.

Any top recommendations to try first to hit 3466 MHz?

What are the odds of improved motherboard support solving it or should I assume it's the processor? Is this common or bad luck? I had another processor at home but didn't felt comfortable putting it in and haven't done any CPU over clocking and didn't felt like I wanted to use a better cooler and figure out which one was better but now with all the blues screens ..

Worth trying the other motherboard? Return this motherboaRd? They may not let me return the CPU any longer. I could possibly try another. If 2666 MHz work I'm doomed as far as RMA goes I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 08:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I had a faulty z370 board that wouldnt wake from sleep seems likely but more likely is bad ram that gets through memtest.

I'd make sure youre on latest bios ten try running each dimm separately to see if you still get crashes, lowering memory clocks, making sure the correct voltage is set, testing a good dimm in each of the boards memory slots separately.

Main Rig
(8 items)
CPU
Intel 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Z370-F
GPU
Asus GTX 1080 Strix
RAM
8gb 3200mhz corsair from CEX
Hard Drive
Samsung 250gb PM961 NVME
Hard Drive
500gb Samsung 850 Pro
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
27" Acer G-sync
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Well they didn't get through the mem test for sure. Failed fast at 3466 as said.

2666 worked when tested a pair of hours and 3200 worked for hours too.

Running the first stick alone at 3466 (xmp settings) now.

I don't know if the 3200 setting give other latencies or voltage.

Once I've tried both sticks like this should I also try xmp on the gaming m5?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

They work alone (xmp 3466 mhz) for four passes from the bios version (never run the uefi version first and hence haven't used it if the results are different.)

That's only like 35 minutes per module though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in