i7-7700k - Hotspot??? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

i7-7700k - Hotspot???

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
i7-7700k - Hotspot???

I am overclocking my i7-7700k delidded cpu to 5GHz. Three of the four cores are running supper low temps, but one core (Core #1) is running 10-15 degrees hotter than the others:

https://imgur.com/aAypDtd

I've heard of 'hotspots' on CPU dies, and issues with putting on thermal pastes. I am hoping that isn't the case, as I would have to pull my whole custom loop apart to inspect the CPU/VRM Monoblock that I have installed.

I delidded, and added LM (Liquid Metal) to the die and IHS. I noticed that there was some exposed contacts below the die. I was worried that the LM would make contact with that, so I covered it with some non-conductive TIM.

Additionally, the EK Monoblock instructions stated to do the "Pee" method for applying the TIM to the IHS, but I opted to spread it fully with a credit card.

So.... does anyone think that the LM or TIM may be an issue, and creating a 'hotspot,' or is it normal for some cores of a CPU to be hotter than others. Did I NOT win the silicon lottery on this chip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
So, I opened up the PC this weekend. Ripped out the monoblock, and two graphics blocks. Cleaned them out, and reinstalled everything. There was a bit of buildup on the CPU block, but nothing that should have made too much of a difference. I've flushed these RADS out about 5 times now, and still getting manufacturing particles. Sigh.

Anyway, the cool labs liquid ultra on the CPU was COMPLETELY dried up. I removed that and replaced it with the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. Also, used Grizzly Kyronaut between the IHS and the monoblock.

I also used the Conductonaut on the GPUs.

All in all, there is no more hotspot on the CPU, and temps are stable, and under control (best they can be for an air starved case.

Before, I was getting into the high 70's on the package, and now, only the low 60's.
Same my graphics - they were getting into the low 60's! Now, they haven't pushed past 41.
NOTE: The prior graphics temps had an overclocked applied, which has been removed for this stabilization test. I doubt they will increase past the high 40s, once replied.

This is while doing prime95, and running Valley benchmark for an hour. Things are stabilized. Back to overclocking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in