i7 7800K @ 5.0Ghz + 1.34V, looking to allow it to cool down on idle. - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

i7 7800K @ 5.0Ghz + 1.34V, looking to allow it to cool down on idle.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
So, I managed everything from utilisation to CPU.

The fix was:

Create a new plan and put minimum CPU utilisation on minimum at 5% and max at 100%. Nothing else matters.

For some reason, it seems the basic plans don't let you do it.

Now, into my BIOS, I have 1.34V @ 5.0 Ghz, no offsets, no nothing.

C-States disabled.
Enchanced Turbo enabled.
EIST enabled.
LLC Mode 4.

I'm stuck as to what I should do now. The voltage mode seems to have many options such as Adaptive + Offset, Offset, Adaptive, etc.

I still don't understand what the offset should be. I saw my CPU pushing 1.4V in CPU-Z at max speeds. Does that mean I need to set an offset of -0.5V? -- I did just that, but the computer would just go BSOD after load, it means it's not getting enough power.

So, my current goal is to have the computer say "Okay, I see that my frequency is lower, so is my utilisation, I will only use as many volts as I need, instead of 1.34V, so this way I'll stay cooler 99% of the time."

Last edited by dandelionworker; 04-17-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 04:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 67)
Quote: Originally Posted by dandelionworker View Post

The fix was:

Create a new plan and put minimum CPU utilisation on minimum at 5% and max at 100%. Nothing else matters.

C-States disabled.
Enchanced Turbo enabled.
EIST enabled.
LLC Mode 4.

I'm stuck as to what I should do now. The voltage mode seems to have many options such as Adaptive + Offset, Offset, Adaptive, etc.

I still don't understand what the offset should be. I saw my CPU pushing 1.4V in CPU-Z at max speeds. Does that mean I need to set an offset of -0.5V? -- I did just that, but the computer would just go BSOD after load, it means it's not getting enough power.

So, my current goal is to have the computer say "Okay, I see that my frequency is lower, so is my utilisation, I will only use as many volts as I need, instead of 1.34V, so this way I'll stay cooler 99% of the time."
This guy seems to have done it on the Maximus X Hero: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...and-speedstep/

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 01:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 375 (Unique: 336)
Quote: Originally Posted by dandelionworker View Post

The fix was:

C-States disabled.
Enchanced Turbo enabled.
EIST enabled.
LLC Mode 4.

I had an offset OC going with -40 and it was working fine but after a couple of days I noticed that my vcore was higher than it was before...strange same -40 offset...then it was lower than normal so I kept bumping it up, -30, -20, -10 and by that time I knew what I wanted my vcore to be for the benching/stressing I was doing so I went to fixed and it's been solid ever since.

12 Pack
(16 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asrock Z370 Taichi
GPU
1080ti FE
RAM
GSkill Sniper X
Hard Drive
WD Black M.2
Power Supply
Seasonic Platinum
Cooling
Corsair H110i
Case
Dimas Tech Easy V3
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift
Keyboard
Das Keyboard Ultimate
Mouse
Mionix NAOS 7000
CPU
R5 2600
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Gaming K4
GPU
eVGA GTX 780 FTW Dual
GPU
eVGA GTX 780 FTW Dual
RAM
Patriot Viper
Hard Drive
Samsung 970EVO M.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 860EVO
Optical Drive
LG DVD burner
Power Supply
Corsair TX850
Cooling
Corsair H115i
Case
Silverstone Raven RV02
Operating System
Win10 Pro
Monitor
Samsung PX2370
Keyboard
Saitek cyborg
Mouse
Mionix Naos 7000
Mousepad
Mionix
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
5.0 , 8700k , c-state , voltage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in