Intel Skulltrail D5400XS Bios Mod - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Intel Skulltrail D5400XS Bios Mod

post #11 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
I already ordered the items I mentioned but I can return then. I’m going to buy the one you posted last with the plcc32 socket. No need to buy adapter. Also can I just use the software provided by the seller? I think is called “nano usb programmer”.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:18 PM
B10S TInk3r

Very sorry about that mix-up! That is a great programmer - https://www.ebay.com/itm/271313593344 I use all the time.
Maybe go ahead and keep the other programmer too, as backup or spare and you can use when it's easier for certain things.

I have one of the cheaper CH341A programmers too, use both sometimes, but mainly now I use the one linked above because I have all adapters for it

Yes, you only need to use his program - https://www.dropbox.com/s/baycx4uwqg...45678.zip?dl=1
Password - 12345678
post #13 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

the program you link is a virus. I deleted it. also do i need any drivers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:48 PM
Linux Lobbyist

I recently picked up two skulltrail systems, (one of them was DOA, but I'm planning on fixing it) and a bunch of different CPUs for them.
Two pairs of QX9775s came with the systems, then I bought a pair of X5492s and a pair of X5482s

As mentioned earlier, the X5492s don't seem to be properly supported by the BIOS.

I've tried flashing the modified .BIO file using the usual methods, to no avail

Unfortunately, my particular boards also don't seem to have the same socketed BIOS chip as the one pictured earlier in the thread.

Mine look like this: https://i.imgur.com/FqmZBEJ.jpg

Is there anything I can do to mod the BIOS without soldering? If not, can they replaced with the socketed variety?

Is there anyone I can send the board(s) to for modification?

post #15 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote: Originally Posted by JTF195 View Post
I recently picked up two skulltrail systems, (one of them was DOA, but I'm planning on fixing it) and a bunch of different CPUs for them.
Two pairs of QX9775s came with the systems, then I bought a pair of X5492s and a pair of X5482s

As mentioned earlier, the X5492s don't seem to be properly supported by the BIOS.

I've tried flashing the modified .BIO file using the usual methods, to no avail

Unfortunately, my particular boards also don't seem to have the same socketed BIOS chip as the one pictured earlier in the thread.

Mine look like this: https://i.imgur.com/FqmZBEJ.jpg

Is there anything I can do to mod the BIOS without soldering? If not, can they replaced with the socketed variety?

Is there anyone I can send the board(s) to for modification?

I think you got a newer revision of the board than me. my chipset fan doesn't have any graphics on it, i noticed yours does.
mines is just plain black. there are ways around the chip being soldered on the board. first you can unsolder it and use a ch341a programmer to flash it. cause intel bios is encrypted and when you modified it. you can't flash it with the bios. it gives you an error "can't open file". second, if you don't want to unsolder the chip, there are cables you can buy to clip on the legs on the chip and flash it that way. both methods requires the ch431a programmer. I have seem alot of programmers on ebay. also ask the user "HelpdatBios" he can help you, like he helped me with flashing the bios.

I just ordered the ch431a programmer as he suggested and waiting to flash my bios. If i'm successful, i can help you flash yours if you like.

Last edited by terianx; 06-07-2018 at 07:48 PM.
post #16 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:45 PM
B10S TInk3r

It is not a virus, your software may detect that because of how the program works (ie reprograms flash chips), and licensing issues. No virus there, unless some virus on drop box add that moment in time.
Some apps detect programs like that as virus anyway, that is why he add password to the file too so host does not delete when uploaded.
* Note * his same message regarding this on the software download page - http://shop3.nanobios.cafe24.com/article/download/7/8

I uploaded the 1.1h (1.1) version and attached here, you will have to tell your virus app to ignore. Or after extract attempt, from quarantine restore and exclude from future scan, that's what I put for Eset Smart Security
Password is now 1234 on my zip, I added the PDF in there too.

You don't need any drivers, well it installs a driver itself at end of program setup, and it does work on windows 7, unsure about newer OS.
You can only use this program, none of those other CH341A programs are compatible with this programmer.

@JTF195 - sockets are cheap and can be soldered in place of that chip, but it will need to be done via solder paste and hot air or infrared solder setup due to the locations of the pins inside the socket.
Possibly could be done without hot air, but it would be easier that way
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183232630640
Attached Files
File Type: zip Nano USB BIOS flasher.zip (7.29 MB, 5 views)
post #17 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

I see, I just installed the file and i turn off protection just to get it to install. now, i'm waiting for the flasher to arrive. I just got confirmation that it got shipped. hoping to get it faster than expected.
post #18 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:05 PM
B10S TInk3r

Sorry I didn't mention that about the false positive when initially posting the link, didn't mean to scare you or worry you I was trying to send Virus I forgot about that until you mentioned it
Last few shipments I got from him were 12 and 14 days from him saying shipped till they arrived, so hope you get quickly! Did you ask him if he had PLCC32 flash rom he could include?
You don't need one, but it's always nice to have a spare so you can have one known working programmed chip, while you maybe try to tinker or fix/update something on the other.
post #19 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

I returned the chip puller and adapter, keep the ch341a programmer. The bios flashed on my board is the one I got from intels website. Do you still need me to make a backup? Can’t you just modified it?
post #20 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 PM
B10S TInk3r

The BIOS mod I did already on post #3, I'm not sure if that is safe to program in, may just fail.
t's much easier and safer to modify a backup that's already programmed to the chip, then you program back that modified image, it's a much better chance of it working when doing it that way.
Plus that way you keep correct MAC address and board serial as well as any other unique board numbers already contained in your BIOS that's not contained in a downloaded image from Intel.
You also need to make a backup, and a copy of that, then stash somewhere safe so you'll always have it to recover to.

Is your Nano USB programmer well on it's way yet?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in