Intel Skulltrail D5400XS Bios Mod - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Intel Skulltrail D5400XS Bios Mod

post #41 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:49 PM
B10S TInk3r

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by terianx View Post
Flashing back the backup bios with your cpu microupdates, the one you uploaded now. It worked, but I don’t see any new updates in cpuz. No changes in bios, no new settings to enable, such as vt-x or sse4.1 etc.
Great news then, good it's working again now! Stop there, no need to program anymore until I make another BIOS.

In order to make another BIOS, I will need to try and enable those settings I showed you on page one from the Intel BIOS Integrator Toolkit.
Then you will need to flash that BIOS from windows, then make a new dump with that BIOS, for me to edit back in microcodes again. ONce you verify the VT and VT-d show up in BIOS.

You never did reply to me about that post and these settings (in post #3) are those VT settings already visible to you in the BIOS, just disabled by default?
I need to know wether "Disable" in that app is a disable by default setting or disabled means invisible to the user. I can adjust those two shown settings, that's the only ones related to what you asked about initially.

When flashing with the stock bios, it just sits there, black screen, no codes on the led indicators, it just 00. With the backup bios with cpu microcode updated. It post fine, just no new instruction sets appear in cpuz. I noticed there are sse3 and ssse3, any difference? I didn’t really pay attention with cpuz before the microcode updates. It appears to be the same before the update. Maybe I should try installing Windows 10 again and see what happens.
I assumed this would happen. The stock BIOS is made only for flashing from windows, or DOS, using Intel's flash update tools. It's not a BIOS you can program with the programmer like your backup or any made from your backup.
CPU-z does not show microcodes in use. To see that you will need to either find in BIOS if you see CPUID info anywhere, or in windows with app like AIDA64 (In motherboard, CPUID section, then microcode update revision) - https://www.aida64.com/downloads.
Freeware HWInfo will also show you - https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

I do not see compareexchange or compareexchange128 mentioned on your Intel CPU link, not sure what this error is I'll have to dig around in google and see if I can find what causes that.
Clearing CMOS might help, but I am not sure the cause, have to read more first. If you do clear CMOS, be sure once you're done go into the BIOS and load optimal or optimized defaults, whatever the terminology is, then make any needed changes you want and save.

I found this at microsoft, it's old, but seems some CPU's may not support installing x64 Win10 no matter what???? What the heck I say to that!
I kenw they initially tried to say Win10 would only work with latest CPU's, but that was quickly squashed out I thought.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-8fe93d9ee5b3

See also, about CPU instruction, and see if that mentioned instruction is shown for your CPU in HWinfo
https://www.akshatblog.com/fix-compa...-error-solved/

And see here too, it shows how to check the exact instruction with AIDA64 (Scroll down in AIDA64 from where you see image above, to see all instructions supported), and covers some BIOS settings may need changed or set
https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-ha...supported.html

Then, finally lets verify the microcode update is being applied, show me image of HWinfo so I can see and check the version and date compared to what's in the ucodes.

Tonight I will make you new BIOS with those VT settings changed, so you can flash from windows, make a new backup with programmer, and send over so I can update.
Before you do the backup though, verify the VT settings show up in BIOS after I change the settings.

Last edited by HelpDatBIOS; 06-20-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by HelpDatBIOS View Post
Great news then, good it's working again now! Stop there, no need to program anymore until I make another BIOS.

In order to make another BIOS, I will need to try and enable those settings I showed you on page one from the Intel BIOS Integrator Toolkit.
Then you will need to flash that BIOS from windows, then make a new dump with that BIOS, for me to edit back in microcodes again. ONce you verify the VT and VT-d show up in BIOS.

You never did reply to me about that post and these settings (in post #3) are those VT settings already visible to you in the BIOS, just disabled by default?
I need to know wether "Disable" in that app is a disable by default setting or disabled means invisible to the user. I can adjust those two shown settings, that's the only ones related to what you asked about initially.

I assumed this would happen. The stock BIOS is made only for flashing from windows, or DOS, using Intel's flash update tools. It's not a BIOS you can program with the programmer like your backup or any made from your backup.
CPU-z does not show microcodes in use. To see that you will need to either find in BIOS if you see CPUID info anywhere, or in windows with app like AIDA64 (In motherboard, CPUID section, then microcode update revision) - https://www.aida64.com/downloads.
Freeware HWInfo will also show you - https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

I do not see compareexchange or compareexchange128 mentioned on your Intel CPU link, not sure what this error is I'll have to dig around in google and see if I can find what causes that.
Clearing CMOS might help, but I am not sure the cause, have to read more first. If you do clear CMOS, be sure once you're done go into the BIOS and load optimal or optimized defaults, whatever the terminology is, then make any needed changes you want and save.

I found this at microsoft, it's old, but seems some CPU's may not support installing x64 Win10 no matter what???? What the heck I say to that!
I kenw they initially tried to say Win10 would only work with latest CPU's, but that was quickly squashed out I thought.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-8fe93d9ee5b3

See also, about CPU instruction, and see if that mentioned instruction is shown for your CPU in HWinfo
https://www.akshatblog.com/fix-compa...-error-solved/

And see here too, it shows how to check the exact instruction with AIDA64 (Scroll down in AIDA64 from where you see image above, to see all instructions supported), and covers some BIOS settings may need changed or set
https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-ha...supported.html

Then, finally lets verify the microcode update is being applied, show me image of HWinfo so I can see and check the version and date compared to what's in the ucodes.

Tonight I will make you new BIOS with those VT settings changed, so you can flash from windows, make a new backup with programmer, and send over so I can update.
Before you do the backup though, verify the VT settings show up in BIOS after I change the settings.
replying to post #3, vt-x or vt setting are not visible to me.
post #43 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

replying to post #3, vt-x or vt setting are not visible to me.
I will post a screen shoot of hwinfo tomorrow, cause the computer is at work. i'm at home now.

i tried all the links you posted, read and followed the suggested steps to try and get win10 to installs, none of them helped. They suggest i install win10 32-bit, but i want 64-bit to take advantage of the cpu and memory. I'll also tried aida64 on the home computer and i think compareexchange128 is listed as CMPXCHG16B. here's a screenshot

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gs...mA-vEz3XEY-t6w

Last edited by terianx; 06-20-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:38 PM
B10S TInk3r

@terianx - OK, thanks for the reply about VT and VT-d. In what I see in the BIOS configuration tool, it looks like they should be shown to user (Marked as "unlocked" and "Shown"), in the "Security" section of the BIOS?
I can't test how to enable visibility without board here and testing few edits myself. I will set these all to enabled by default for now, if XD Tech disabled helps install happen, remember to set back to enabled later after you get win10 installed.
Hopefully these are all visible to you in that "Security" section but you didn't notice until I said where to locate them.

Yes, that looks like what you'd want to check in this system with AIDA64, and the new modified BIOS I sent before with updated microcodes.
You may need to install a quick test system, like Win7 so you can boot to windows with that setup and check this all with HWInfo and AIDA64

Be sure to dig around in the BIOS and see if you have setting to enable "Execute disable bit NX or DX (EDB)". It's Intel XD Technology, I found in this BIOS, default is enabled but see next sentence!
Or test disabled too, it's counter-intuitive & should be enable this to disallow, but disable may help with the windows install issue, so try both ways.
If disable allows you to install, you can then re-enable the setting later, that is the desired setting "enabled" for that setting.
Also make sure you set Max CPUID Value Limit to disabled, that is default so only mentioned in case you changed it.

Did you noticed the clean install method mentioned in the link they provided you over at BIOS-mods?
The "AskhatBlog" link, it's also in same link I gave above earlier, install 32 bit then "Upgrade" in place with x64, mentioning in case you didn't notice that

The VT settings should be visible to you in the "Security" page of the BIOS, if not it's OK I set them both to enabled and software in windows will reflect that support is enabled (VT and VT-d - NOT VT-x)
I also set "User Access Level" to Full Access, not sure what all that will reveal to you, but it was view only and I think that applied to the "Security" section, which should have still showed you the VT settings but greyed out and not selectable.
Should be unlocked now, for you to see, and change enable/disable, hopefully!

The BIOS uploaded here are not to correct the windows install issue, however you may proceed testing and tinkering.
I'm posting this now so we can get a final updated BIOS mod for you, this BIOS does not have updated CPU microcodes only the changes noted in above image.
I need you to flash this from windows, then once done remove the BIOS chip and make another new backup with your programmer and send that file.
Then I will update that file again with the new CPU microcodes, probably required for Win10 install so maybe tinkering is waste of time
Please read the included ReadME Flash and BIOS info before updating
http://www.filedropper.com/intel-xs54010jmodgetbackup
post #45 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

@terianx - OK, thanks for the reply about VT and VT-d. In what I see in the BIOS configuration tool, it looks like they should be shown to user (Marked as "unlocked" and "Shown"), in the "Security" section of the BIOS?
I can't test how to enable visibility without board here and testing few edits myself. I will set these all to enabled by default for now, if XD Tech disabled helps install happen, remember to set back to enabled later after you get win10 installed.
Hopefully these are all visible to you in that "Security" section but you didn't notice until I said where to locate them.

Yes, that looks like what you'd want to check in this system with AIDA64, and the new modified BIOS I sent before with updated microcodes.
You may need to install a quick test system, like Win7 so you can boot to windows with that setup and check this all with HWInfo and AIDA64

Be sure to dig around in the BIOS and see if you have setting to enable "Execute disable bit NX or DX (EDB)". It's Intel XD Technology, I found in this BIOS, default is enabled but see next sentence!
Or test disabled too, it's counter-intuitive & should be enable this to disallow, but disable may help with the windows install issue, so try both ways.
If disable allows you to install, you can then re-enable the setting later, that is the desired setting "enabled" for that setting.
Also make sure you set Max CPUID Value Limit to disabled, that is default so only mentioned in case you changed it.

Did you noticed the clean install method mentioned in the link they provided you over at BIOS-mods?
The "AskhatBlog" link, it's also in same link I gave above earlier, install 32 bit then "Upgrade" in place with x64, mentioning in case you didn't notice that

The VT settings should be visible to you in the "Security" page of the BIOS, if not it's OK I set them both to enabled and software in windows will reflect that support is enabled (VT and VT-d - NOT VT-x)
I also set "User Access Level" to Full Access, not sure what all that will reveal to you, but it was view only and I think that applied to the "Security" section, which should have still showed you the VT settings but greyed out and not selectable.
Should be unlocked now, for you to see, and change enable/disable, hopefully!

The BIOS uploaded here are not to correct the windows install issue, however you may proceed testing and tinkering.
I'm posting this now so we can get a final updated BIOS mod for you, this BIOS does not have updated CPU microcodes only the changes noted in above image.
I need you to flash this from windows, then once done remove the BIOS chip and make another new backup with your programmer and send that file.
Then I will update that file again with the new CPU microcodes, probably required for Win10 install so maybe tinkering is waste of time
Please read the included ReadME Flash and BIOS info before updating
http://www.filedropper.com/intel-xs54010jmodgetbackup
XD technology setting is under security, I do see that and i can enable and disable it. but no vt, or vt-x etc.

heres an image of aida64 and hwinfo.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zc...F5st6mlbXfCyVD
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kz...2wkCV8ZHW4VVPT
post #46 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

I flashed the bios with the instructions you gave in windows running the .exe provided and it boots and post fine. here is a backup of the flashed bios from the programmer

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10s...hr6A6foBBnhHJo

Last edited by terianx; 06-21-2018 at 12:47 PM.
post #47 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:54 PM
B10S TInk3r

OK, thanks for the images, please check that again after you reflash the new BIOS and play with VT settings.
Check to see only for the instruction issue you had and see if CMPXCHG8B and CMPXCHG16B are checked scroll down on that AIDA64 microcode page to see. They may not be, until new Microcodes are put back in BIOS, you can check now before you flash though
Microcode will go back to old one you had before I made mod for you, while we do the new BIOS update, backup, and then upload to me again. Then I will put back new microcodes for you.

And recheck in Security tab of BIOS after reflash too of course, then you should see VT and VT-d
You can flash using the EXE or w/ included Intel utility itoolkitW via inst_bio_w.bat.
I am not sure if other Intel utilities will flash these BIOS or not, it creates it's own packages, exe and non-exe for win and DOS, that's why so many files included

* Edit - thanks for the backup, I posted the above before you edited in the backup I'll update your backup tonight, then you can recheck what I mentioned above!
Sorry it will have to wait until tonight, but I am leaving in few minutes so I can't edit now.
You can check Security Tab of BIOS now while you wait though, and see about VT settings again.
But, even if they show, may need microcode update again before you can install windows, also may need microcode update before they show too, not sure how the old microcodes will affect that.
I'll get it updated for you tonight and posted back as soon as I can!

Last edited by HelpDatBIOS; 06-21-2018 at 01:00 PM.
post #48 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

OK, thanks for the images, please check that again after you reflash the new BIOS and play with VT settings.
Check to see only for the instruction issue you had and see if CMPXCHG8B and CMPXCHG16B are checked scroll down on that AIDA64 microcode page to see. They may not be, until new Microcodes are put back in BIOS, you can check now before you flash though
Microcode will go back to old one you had before I made mod for you, while we do the new BIOS update, backup, and then upload to me again. Then I will put back new microcodes for you.

And recheck in Security tab of BIOS after reflash too of course, then you should see VT and VT-d
You can flash using the EXE or w/ included Intel utility itoolkitW via inst_bio_w.bat.
I am not sure if other Intel utilities will flash these BIOS or not, it creates it's own packages, exe and non-exe for win and DOS, that's why so many files included

*Edit - thanks for the backup, I posted the above before you edited in the backup I'll update your backup tonight, then you can recheck what I mentioned above!
Sorry it will have to wait until tonight, but I am leaving in few minutes so I can't edit now.
that is the latest mod backup bios. I flashed it on the board and make sure it works and post. then i removed it and made a backup which i uploaded in post before this. I booted into windows and try the windows 10 installer and it gave me the same error. compareexchange128 missing. i also checked aida64 and there appears to be only compareexchange8 checked, compareexchange16 is not. i also checked with hwinfo and the instruction set checked are the same. no change. like i said, there is a option called "XD technology" which i can enable and disable under security tab. i enabled it and i get the same error. try disable it and same error.
post #49 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 01:07 PM
B10S TInk3r

Yes, the latest mod I posted in post #44 above has old microcodes, so I expect probably same win10 install error. Check AIDA64 again later, after I send new mod with updated microcodes again made from this latest backup.
There is no VT or VT-d tab shown in security tab of BIOS right now? With BIOS from this post above - https://www.overclock.net/forum/27505162-post44.html, correct? If not, it's OK, maybe need microcodes update before it will show.

I'll get new update for you tonight, hopefully it will all be sorted out then! Nevermind, I forgot saved the part that had the new microcodes, so easy insert without having to make new one.
Attached is new BIOS, updated with microcodes and should also have VT and VT-d shown in security tab of BIOS.

Please program via your programmer, then clear CMOS and turn on board, then load optimal or optimized defaults and save and reboot back to BIOS to check security tab.
VT and VT-d should be there and enabled, if not they are enabled by default since I edited the BIOS, not sure why they wouldn't show.
Verify that by looking in AIDA64 too (scroll down on microcode page, look for virtual machines VMX/vanderpool) , along with the CMPX thing too.
Attached Files
File Type: zip intelbiosM.zip (737.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by HelpDatBIOS; 06-21-2018 at 01:17 PM.
post #50 of 368 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Yes, the latest mod I posted in post #44 above has old microcodes, so I expect probably same win10 install error. Check AIDA64 again later, after I send new mod with updated microcodes again made from this latest backup.
There is no VT or VT-d tab shown in security tab of BIOS right now? With BIOS from this post above - https://www.overclock.net/forum/27505162-post44.html, correct? If not, it's OK, maybe need microcodes update before it will show.

I'll get new update for you tonight, hopefully it will all be sorted out then! Nevermind, I forgot saved the part that had the new microcodes, so easy insert without having to make new one.
Attached is new BIOS, updated with microcodes and should also have VT and VT-d shown in security tab of BIOS.

Please program via your programmer, then clear CMOS and turn on board, then load optimal or optimized defaults and save and reboot back to BIOS to check security tab.
VT and VT-d should be there and enabled, if not they are enabled by default since I edited the BIOS, not sure why they wouldn't show.
Verify that by looking in AIDA64 too (scroll down on microcode page, look for virtual machines VMX/vanderpool) , along with the CMPX thing too.
flashing with your bios now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in