i5 8600k looking for a few advice - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

i5 8600k looking for a few advice

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
i5 8600k looking for a few advice

Hey there,

I bought my first K cpu. It sits in a msi z370 a-pro. I'd search for a few posts here and there and i see that the ppl are getting 5ghz with this cpu. Well im not shooting for that far, I would be satisfied with a 4.5 ghz, (not so extreme) and the understanding of the tunning i change.

So i began to learn and test a few hours ago and im a bit stuck mostly because of lack of knowledge in which i would like to ask your help. So some of the posts said it is far than enough to just set the multipler to 45 and thats it. I installed prime95, and HWMonitor aswell. So after this change has been made it shows the correct amount of 4,5 ghz on all the cores, however if i start the small ffts torture test it immediately dropping voltage and mhz to 3,8-3,9 ghz.

So i started to set manually the voltage instead of auto starting from 1,165 at this point one of the cores said workers stopped, on 1,185 or 1,2 nothing stopped but it lowered the mhz to 3600, which later on i googled that there is a thing called AVX something about generating unnecessary heat by prime95 and its dropping mhz with the 900 mhz. So i set it to 0 but still nothing really changes.

Then i found options like dynamic or fixed ratio mode and other stuff which made me confused a little thats why im here providing as many information as i could get under this few hours from 0, trying to understand how things are working.

Here are some pictures of the possible options in the bios
PICTURE

Now i do have to tell, that after i set it to like 4,5 i probably wont change a thing so i just have to set it 1 time in my career so sorry if i might sound noob or misunderstood anything so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
8600k , Overclock , stresstest , voltage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in