Windows 10 X5460 issue - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Windows 10 X5460 issue

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Windows 10 X5460 issue

Hello i have a Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2 with an X5460 that is booting fine and running at 3.16GHZ with 4GB DDR2 at 800MHz. Windows 7 64 bit works properly but when i try to install windows 10 or upgrade from win 7 to win 10 i get an error CompareExchange128 missing. I have updated the Gigabyte bios Ver FCD with the micrococodes from the following link https://www.delidded.com/how-to-upda...-phoenix-bios/ but i still get the same issue i cannot install win 10. Can anybody please help thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 02:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Sorry to inform you of this but your cpu is not supported by MS.
They prevent installing win 10 on what they deem out-of-spec hardware.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/wind...specifications
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:09 AM
B10S TInk3r

You're CPU supports that instruction, it's VMX/virtualization. Those are all old microcodes (2010), but that is not the main issue. Did you load optimized details in the BIOS?
You need no execute bit (NX bit) enabled. Default is enabled, it's called no execute memory protect in this BIOS.
Virtualization also has to be enabled, this boards BIOS has that option I looked it's right above "Full screen logo show" option on the "Advanced BIOS Features" page (Above setting is in same section too), set it to enabled.

If you have both of those settings enabled, then it's the old microcodes not working for you probably.
Here is updated BIOS with all latest microcodes - after flash, clear CMOS and then boot into BIOS and load optimized defaults and save/apply then exit and reboot back to the BIOS then make all other changes you need before going to windows again.
Spoiler!
https://www.sendspace.com/file/hbu1es

Flash using flashSPI and if it gives you error do again using /x switch at end of command.

Last edited by HelpDatBIOS; 07-30-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Hi HelpDatBios thanks a lot for the reply. After flashing the bios i used fail safe defaults settings like it was mentionned on delided i did not got for load optimized settings. I did turn off no execute memory protect and also switched off C1E plus virtualization option was on.

I also tried a bios i found on Genius but i ended up getting Bios file error when flashing with QFlash.

I will check how to use FlashSPI

I will still redo my steps with my bios and then try the new bios you provided. I will keep you updated.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:27 PM
B10S TInk3r

You're welcome! Several things there you are doing wrong, some of these will cause this combo CPU/Win10 to fail.

1. Please load optimized defaults, then save and apply, reboot back to the BIOS and make all other changes you need. Do not load fail safe defaults.
2. No execute bit (NX bit) needs to be set to enabled. Default is enabled (w/ Optimized loaded), it's called no execute memory protect in this BIOS - set this enabled, should already be enabled once you load optimized defaults
3. Ensure Virtualization is enabled too

Don't use BIOS from random websites, only Gigabyte official site, or places like this forum where other users might help you update them.

You might be able to use the BIOS I posted with Qflash, but I am not sure, that's why I suggested to go ahead and use FlashSPI right away from DOS, save you some hassle maybe.
Sometimes Qflash will not accept modified BIOS images, so you get an error when trying, I assumed you might so said to use FlashSPI.
But yes, if you can flash it with Qflash without Checksum error or invalid BIOS image error etc, then go ahead and use Qflash.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Hi HelpDatBIOS I managed to get windows 10 working on my gigabyte motherboard with my X5460 xeon. Qflash was able to updated the bios image and i used load optimized defaults plus all other steps you mentioned. I have left no execute bit to disabled and it did not cause any issue. I will set it back to enable. Thanks a lot for your advice and your assistance i owe you a great one.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:14 PM
B10S TInk3r

Cool you got it working now!
No execute bit disable can be set to disabled if you want, since Win10 works for you either way, but best for security to have it enabled (default) so it disables any NX Bit type instructions.

You're welcome, and I'm glad you were able to get it working now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in