Overclock.net banner

9900k Overclock Results and Questions:

352K views 3K replies 250 participants last post by  Salve1412 
#1 ·
I have questions!!!

I overclocked my 9900k (retail version) using asrock z390 taichi to 5.1 Ghz: Vcore=1.26v, AVX offset=0 (no offset) LLC=level 1

Result:
R15 = 2215 (average)
BMW(Blender benchmark) = 193s
BMW(Blender program) = 201s
stable in Aida64 stress test, Temp= 65 - 78 c (avg temp range) and 82 c (max), (my room temp=24 c)
(I observed that my cpu use a Vcore=1.280v when under stress test load)

My Questions:

1) Is my CPU bad? average? or good? (I am sooo confused)

2) Should I return the cpu for a better lottery?

3) Should I try to overclock to 5.2Ghz for daily usage?

I have tested 5.2Ghz... but for some reason, I couldn't get it stable in Blender. For some reason, my cpu is stable in aida64 stress test (with avx test), but never stable in blender at 5.2Ghz.
I tried Vcore=1.4v (in BIOS) with LLC=level2 and the resulting Vcore(under load during test)=1.409v <--- Stable in aida64, but not stable in blender!

Note: Please feel free to post your overclocking results for 9900k below, what's everyone's overclocking results? I want to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~

See less See more
#6 ·
I've watched a few review channels on YouTube in regards to overclocking the i9-9900K. If I remember correctly, I don't think any of them reached 5.1GHz, let alone using such low voltage like yours at even 5GHz. I would definitely keep it! Be happy with the result, and don't worry about upgrading for a really long time. Also, please don't go and delid your CPU. There's no need to do it any longer with the reintroduction of soldered CPUs from Intel. Your temperatures will drop very little in comparison to what they are already. I know you didn't say you were going to, but you did mention it nonetheless. :)

If you really want to push it to the extreme, find the highest voltage your CPU can run at for daily usage. Put it at that voltage, and then start bumping up your core clock little by little. You might be able to get 5.15GHz.

#7 ·

#8 · (Edited)
@Wihglah Wow would you look at that. Well, it's still a fresh CPU that a lot of hands haven't got a hold of. You may or may not have gotten a golden chip. Time will tell until more results are shared from other users. If I had to bet on it though, I would say you got yourself a golden chip. If not, then some YouTube reviewers have no idea how to actually overclock which wouldn't be too surprising, or there's only so much time they have until they move on to a different piece of hardware to review.

PS: Do mention that your CPU is stable at that speed and voltage. I'm sure you know CBR15 is not a way to test a CPU's stability. Make sure that your CPU has been tested stable in Prime95 or LINPACK at that speed and voltage. Otherwise, enjoy the beast of a processor you have. :)

#10 ·
@Wihglah
Wow would you look at that. Well, it's still a fresh CPU that a lot of hands haven't got a hold of. You may or may not have gotten a golden chip. Time will tell until more results are shared from other users. If I had to bet on it though, I would say you got yourself a golden chip. If not, then some YouTube reviewers have no idea how to actually overclock which wouldn't be too surprising, or there's only so much time they have until they move on to a different piece of hardware to review.
PS: Do mention that your CPU is stable at that speed and voltage. I'm sure you know CBR15 is not a way to test a CPU's stability. Make sure that your CPU has been tested stable in Prime95 or LINPACK at that speed and voltage. Otherwise, enjoy the beast of a processor you have. :)
prime95 is really a no no for intel chips anymore, unless using an old version of configuring it to NOT use AVX instructions by adding the following line to local.txt located in the same folder as the executable file:
CpuSupportsAVX=0
fwiu, just running prime95 will slam the cpu to 90c+ :devil:

but since i don't have a coffee chip, i could be mistaken.

#11 · (Edited)
@looniam That reminds me of when I used Prime95 to stress test my X5690 before I ran it into the ground with 1.5V. It gave me a good excuse to finally upgrade. :)

Anyways, you should turn off AVX in the latest version of Prime95 using the line you've shown there in the local.txt document. I didn't need to when stress testing my AMD 1800X though.

#14 ·
Asus z390 Gene
g.skill 4266 stock

Attachments

#15 ·
Is there any statistics over 9900K potential? SL is dead silent ATM, I beleive they keep the statistics up to binned chips launch.

Though, 9900K is already around ~900$ here, in local stores. And thing that makes it more hilarious - that I found my cpu block with wrong jet installed, thus, with right one I get lower temps -> and -surprise- it occured my CPU handles 5 GHz at ~1.32V LLC5, which is fan-f-ing-tastic. And it makes 9900K upgrade even more questionable.

#17 ·
SL is still binning it, so they don't have accurate statistics yet. They will in a few days though. They stated they expect it to be thermally limited though.

#18 ·
i dont believe any of yours "stable" clocks.

or maybe on power throthling aka cpu clocks dropped down on some cores (LinX Gflops show how much GFlops you get=how fast yours cpu/ram truly are).

Give me picture with Prime95 (non-avx) with smallfft preset and 2 hours bench.

And benchmark LinX, at least 1 round calculated and it gives yours GFlops speed.

9900K @5.0Ghz stable with fast rams gives over 520 GFlops...at least here, in Finland. ☺

LinX dl link:
http://greentechreviews.ru/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/LinX-v0.9.0-E-x64-Ready-to-Start.zip

#19 ·
Seeing as there is no dedicated 9th-gen Intel CPU's thread, thought I'd just post this here and see what other people get.

9700k @ 4.8Ghz ~1.225v
Have tried 4.9Ghz at ~1.285v but haven't done enough testing.
5Ghz would instant-crash at 1.35v so I haven't bothered.
Running -4 on the AVX for stability, not that I use many AVX workloads.

Temperatures are pretty hot with my NH-U14S, granted I live in Australia though and ambient was probably 27C
4.8Ghz with Prime95 (AVX Disabled) FTT ~80-85C. Gaming was ~60-65C
4.9Ghz with Prime95 (AVX Disabled) FTT ~92C. Gaming ~74-80C

So yeah, seems like I lost the silicone lottery here. I'm happy with 4.8Ghz I guess but 5Ghz would've been great.

#22 ·
Damn there are some good 5Ghz+ voltages in this thread. A lot of the youtube reviewers needed 1.35V+ for 5Ghz stable, much like many 8700k's (mine included). I really hope my 9900k will do 5Ghz under 1.30V in my custom loop. Hoping to keep the temperatures reasonable since it will be sharing a loop with a 2080Ti (two 360 rads).

#23 ·
Yeah, that's too high, as for me. Moreover, it's not that much was changed since 8700K, only +2 cores and + ~20% ring additional space, so why is it so hot? And I think it's not only about thicker die - I beleive Intel is just screwing everyone all over again with their STIM being complete sh**t.

IMHO, taking into account awfull pricing in eu region and zero OC improvements (even negative), I consider 9900/9700 as an replacement for my 8700 less and less :thumbsdow

#24 · (Edited)
Have you tried increasing your LLCR to level 5 or 6 to see if that helps stabilize your overclock? Disable all C-states, turbo boosting, etc. I'm at 5.2Ghz at 1.30v on all cores idle at 30c load 50-70c. Completely stable. Could just be silicon lottery.

forgot to mention I am on one of the 12 phase VRM boards, the Gigabyte Aorus Master z390, which may have helped stabilize my clocks from what I'm reading some 300 boards may not overclock well.

#25 ·
Maybe I'm thinking of another vendor, but I think Asrock LLC is opposite so 1 is already highest. I'd daily up to 1.3v, so both look good. It's fun to see how far it would go, but even with non-throttling temps, north of 1.4v just to get that extra 100-200 MHz, meh, sure for some benches, but no point otherwise.

#26 ·
I'm stable @ 4.9Ghz - 1.225v with auto LLC on my 9900k

I'm able to get 5.0Ghz to boot into windows @1.25v, but with my board being a Z370-A i'm not going to push any higher and blow my board up. 5.0 Would probably be stable around 1.275v.

#27 · (Edited)
I hit 5 Ghz too at like 1.23v and I run a bunch of benchmarks and games no problem but when I start Prime 95 stress test it goes to 100C degrees on my Corsair H110I GTX (assuming you unlock all power limits in the bios).... For me at least that's not a normal overclock. I am simply not leaving it to run more than 10 minutes at 100C and i don't consider this a stable overclock at all. In my opinion for air coolers and most AIO's in cases (not open benches), 5 Ghz is not that easy for proper stability. You can make it run becnhmarks and games but if it gets loaded anything harder it will not be stable at 5 Ghz for long. At least those are my impressions after playing with a 9900K on a Maximus 11 Hero for a day.

#30 ·
Sorry, I missed your post before mine above. Anyway, we both share the same opinion. Even down to the 10 minutes bit!

#37 ·
Kendar gave me his settings for his OC but it didn't work on my system for some reason. Windows BSOD. Hoping someone could give me some basics on what to use for the OC.

Stock, I ran Cinebench, and got 1988 and Temps hit 80s.

Maximus X Code w/Kraken X62 cooler, and i9-9900k retail chip.

#46 ·
I followed this tuto and it help me to overclock my 9900k and found out that my pb is with the XMP profil of my RAM and not the CPU

https://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

You should start to find a stable OC without OC the RAM (without XMP profile):

So far if it can help you here is my setting

9900k on Hero XI with Ram 3200 CL14 and Noctua NH-D15s :

All core 5.0 Ghz

BCLK: 100.0
Ratio 50
Cache ratio : 43

Vcore adaptative : 1.284 Offset -0.010

Internal CPU Power Management:

IA DC Load Line to 0.01

IA AC Load Line to 0.01

Work well without XMP profil for me

With the XMP profil still working on it but setting the following help a lot
( they were way to high on my system )

First you have to use the XMP I (it's seem more stable than the XMP II in my case)

CPU VCCIO : 1.1 or 1.15
CPU System Agent :1.1 or 1.15

Temps are 94°C max under prime95 with FTT set to min/max 12

Still in progress but if it can help :) it will have to be ajust according to your CPU and RAM but I can give you some good start to play around

#38 ·
so is there a tutorial for overclocking?

#41 ·
Hi everyone

I just got my 9900k up and running, air cooled for now. Planning to throw it in the loop later after everything is properly tested.

I'm using a Maximus XI Formula motherboard and a Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler. The CPU is running at stock speeds (4.7Ghz all core) and when running Realbench Stress test the CPU cores are regularly in the mid 90s. When running AIDA64 (CPU, FPU and Cache selected) it reaches 100C at least once within 5 minutes. Vcore during AIDA64 is around 1.250V. When running Cinebench the temperatures and voltages are lower due to it not being an AVX stress test, around 75C and 1.144V.

In Realbench and AIDA64 the CPU cooler and case fans are blasting at max speed. It's currently summer here in Australia but I am running the air con in the room, it's probably about 22C or so.

Does anyone else see these crazy high temps on high end air coolers when running these tests (RealBench and AIDA64) at stock settings? The core temperatures are all very close to each other so I think my thermal paste application was good. I'm concerned that I'm not going to be able to overclock this thing even on water without running an AVX offset to bring it back down to 4.7Ghz when using AVX.

#45 ·
Tried following this... https://www.docdroid.net/0DX0yFQ/overclocking-guide.pdf

but I couldn't find these settings. (Using an ASRock board if that matters)

- CPU SVID Support
- Short Duration Package Power Limit
- Min/Max CPU Cache Ratio (I just have CPU CACHE RATIO) ('the maximum should be the same as the CPU ratio)

Set CPU Core/Cache Voltage to manual mode and set 1.30v
• 1.35 (1.40 max)
• Can set to adaptive mode after overclock is stable

I only have 'fixed' or 'offset'.

Not sure what the 135/1.40 means in the pdf

This is what I ended up with. Temps peaked in the 90s. https://i.imgur.com/dRkSRI8.jpg

What settings should I use for Prime95 testing?

#48 · (Edited)
#49 ·
#51 ·
Is that stock or overclocked? What cooler are you using? If the fans are connected to the motherboard you should be able to see their RPM readout in HWinfo64.

Mine runs pretty hot at stock settings with a huge air cooler at max fan speed, mid 70s in Cinebench and mid 90s in AVX stress loads.. :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.