i9 9900k overclocking on Intel XTU - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

i9 9900k overclocking on Intel XTU

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
i9 9900k overclocking on Intel XTU

I unknowingly cheaped out on a motherboard and bios settings really confuse me so I have resorted to using Intel xtu. Has anyone overclocked their 9900k using xtu? If so, can you post your settings? I'm a noob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 385 (Unique: 275)
Quote: Originally Posted by rkalak View Post
I unknowingly cheaped out on a motherboard and bios settings really confuse me so I have resorted to using Intel xtu. Has anyone overclocked their 9900k using xtu? If so, can you post your settings? I'm a noob
If you're unhappy with your motherboard purchase, why don't you just RMA it, admit your mistake and ask for an exchange or upgrade? It should still be in the return period.
It's not a good idea to cheap out on motherboards. Never get the lowest end board for something like a 9900K or 9700K. You don't need top of the line but at least get something decent.

I haven't seen anyone use XTU to overclock these newer processors. Most of the people who use XTU are using it to overclock locked down laptops with cancer firmwares with locked down Bioses.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
If you're unhappy with your motherboard purchase, why don't you just RMA it, admit your mistake and ask for an exchange or upgrade? It should still be in the return period.
It's not a good idea to cheap out on motherboards. Never get the lowest end board for something like a 9900K or 9700K. You don't need top of the line but at least get something decent.

I haven't seen anyone use XTU to overclock these newer processors. Most of the people who use XTU are using it to overclock locked down laptops with cancer firmwares with locked down Bioses.
I didn't completely cheap out on the motherboard (I have the msi gaming edge ac), so I think I'm fine sticking with it. Also I've gotten to a stable 5ghz using intel xtu, so all the more reason to stick with the current setup. Thank you for your input though, I will make sure to get the best of the best in terms of motherboards for my next build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xtu perf.PNG
Views:	399
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	233974  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
I hope you got a good deal on that board. The prices I see are around $175...for an 8-phase board that lists DisplayPort like it's a special feature?
Meanwhile the Gigabyte z390M Gaming is only $145 with a 10+2 phase design.

Either way the arch is still the same as Coffee/Kaby in terms of overclocking so the guide will still work just fine:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...tatistics.html

Overclocking with XTU is going to be about the same as using the BIOS as far as the multiplier/vcore procedure goes. You can use it to get into the ballpark but the fine tuning and final OC need to be in the BIOS to be stable.
If you're a noob you shouldn't be overclocking, you should be educating yourself on how to to it. If the BIOS is beyond you I don't think you can call any OC "stable"...especially since you're using XTU to do it.

There are loads of stress tests out there but the only one that's ever gotten be stable enough to run every game and program I use without issue is Prime95. You should ignore AVX to start with by using v26.6 as it has no AVX. Once you get your core, cache and ram 100% stable then you can take the time to find your AVX offset.

None of this is meant as an insult but knowing what you're doing is a critical part of doing something...if that makes any sense. Also, I'd punt the board and get a better one if you're overclocking. A stock 9900k (just the CPU) is capable of pulling 200w under an AVX stress test, a little vcore could easily make that 250w. MSI also has a bad track record of making some really crappy boards in comparison to the competition. They make some good boards too but I really wouldn't buy from them if there's another option.
People were complaining that Asus was selling 8 phase boards for over $150 with coffee lake so this MSI board is seriously whack for the price. The additional phases on other boards handle more power but they also provide more stable power to the CPU. Most people that switched from 8 phase boards reported stabilizing with much less vcore and in some cases were even able to get to the next multiplier...and that was with an 8700k, now add 2 more cores and 4 more threads plus more cache to the mix. For the price the board is a huge rip off IMO.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 11-24-2018 at 11:52 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
I hope you got a good deal on that board. The prices I see are around $175...for an 8-phase board that lists DisplayPort like it's a special feature?
Meanwhile the Gigabyte z390M Gaming is only $145 with a 10+2 phase design.

Either way the arch is still the same as Coffee/Kaby in terms of overclocking so the guide will still work just fine:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...tatistics.html

Overclocking with XTU is going to be about the same as using the BIOS as far as the multiplier/vcore procedure goes. You can use it to get into the ballpark but the fine tuning and final OC need to be in the BIOS to be stable.
If you're a noob you shouldn't be overclocking, you should be educating yourself on how to to it. If the BIOS is beyond you I don't think you can call any OC "stable"...especially since you're using XTU to do it.

There are loads of stress tests out there but the only one that's ever gotten be stable enough to run every game and program I use without issue is Prime95. You should ignore AVX to start with by using v26.6 as it has no AVX. Once you get your core, cache and ram 100% stable then you can take the time to find your AVX offset.

None of this is meant as an insult but knowing what you're doing is a critical part of doing something...if that makes any sense. Also, I'd punt the board and get a better one if you're overclocking. A stock 9900k (just the CPU) is capable of pulling 200w under an AVX stress test, a little vcore could easily make that 250w. MSI also has a bad track record of making some really crappy boards in comparison to the competition. They make some good boards too but I really wouldn't buy from them if there's another option.
People were complaining that Asus was selling 8 phase boards for over $150 with coffee lake so this MSI board is seriously whack for the price. The additional phases on other boards handle more power but they also provide more stable power to the CPU. Most people that switched from 8 phase boards reported stabilizing with much less vcore and in some cases were even able to get to the next multiplier...and that was with an 8700k, now add 2 more cores and 4 more threads plus more cache to the mix. For the price the board is a huge rip off IMO.
Thank you for this, what board do you suggest I purchase? I'm fine with anything below 350 as long as it means for qualitative maintenance and stability in overclocks.

I got the msi board for 150 btw

Last edited by rkalak; 11-25-2018 at 12:20 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 12:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

If Micro ATX is a must the Gigabyte z390M Gaming looks nice. It looks like the best board in the price range, considering the CPU the VRM should be your primary concern and this board is the only one for a around $150 that I'd have any confidence in.
Past that you're looking at simply getting a bigger board, Micro ATX is notorious for skimping on the power delivery.

The MSI board does appear to have a good VRM, probably capable of a good bit of power like the Strix boards but the lack of phases is often noticed when you start putting getting to your 1.4v range. It just struck me as odd that it was listed at $170.

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Is there a micro atx version of the gaming edge ac? I currently have the normal size in a mid size case. Are the Asus rog maximus XI motherboards good?

Also, I'm not a gamer, I'm just looking to get max speeds on all cores for certain multi threaded rendering tasks and topology optimizations. I don't know if my reason for wanting to overclock is relevant in terms of choosing a good motherboard for overclocking, but I thought I'd say it, even if it was to just rule out the presumably presumed idea that I would be a gamer.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 01:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Omg I forgot about this thread. Are you still here? I'd assumed it was micro since that's what I found when I looked it up.
For normal boards you have lots of options. The Extreme4 and Taichi being two of the better budget options. For all I know the full sized version of your board is better. Lmk if you're still here lol

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in