Why would "auto" voltage give i7-9700k 5.0GHZ overclock stability, but fixed voltage won't? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Why would "auto" voltage give i7-9700k 5.0GHZ overclock stability, but fixed voltage won't?

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 427 (Unique: 298)
Quote: Originally Posted by jfriend00 View Post
Actually, there are two separate VR VOUT values in HWiNFO64 (image attached). Which do you want?
The first one. It's impossible for your vcore to be 1.104v. That's a dummy value. I got 0.004v on the second VR VOUT on my GB so I just deleted the entire field (notice VR loop 1 and 2 are now inverted?)

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 23 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Is there a 'VR VOUT' sensor in the voltage regular in your HWinfo64 and does it report an actual voltage (not a dummy value like 65.535v or 0.004v?)
If yes, then post what it says in both of your tests (the stable and unstable tests, yes, redo them).

Also when re-doing your stable and unstable tests ,please post the CPU package power draw as well (this is extremely important).
Can you do this, even if you don't have a VR VOUT voltage sensor?
I ran both tests and recorded VR VOUT and CPU Package Power. Neither test failed this time in a 35 minute run. The results are in the attached image.
Attached Images

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

I ran both tests and recorded VR VOUT and CPU Package Power. Neither test failed this time in a 35 minute run. The results are in the attached image.
The reason why your test failed before on fixed voltage was because your VR Vout was 20mv lower than your auto voltage test. So you were running on lower actual voltage and flirting with stability.
However I'm not sure why you were unstable at level 1 LLC but are now stable at level 2 LLC. Either way don't test level 1 anymore at such high voltages.
Also am not sure why now suddenly you are stable.
The package power reporting is strange. Same power draw even though voltage is lower. i suspect something else is influencing the power reporting. Also seems a bit erratic in fluctuation. That's why it's also important to see temps as well, just in case.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Memory Overclocker

The reason why your test failed before on fixed voltage was because your VR Vout was 20mv lower than your auto voltage test. So you were running on lower actual voltage and flirting with stability.
However I'm not sure why you were unstable at level 1 LLC but are now stable at level 2 LLC. Either way don't test level 1 anymore at such high voltages.
Also am not sure why now suddenly you are stable.
The package power reporting is strange. Same power draw even though voltage is lower. i suspect something else is influencing the power reporting. Also seems a bit erratic in fluctuation. That's why it's also important to see temps as well, just in case.
Yes, I see the 10-20mv difference. Now I'm trying to understand why.

Can you explain the meaning of all these separate measurements in HWiNFO64:

VCore - 1.328V
VR VOUT - 1.281V
Core #0 VID - 1.372V

What are each of these items? Which one is supposed to be the 1.370V I set in the BIOS?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 02:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Please read my other posts I wrote in the 9900K thread and the Aorus thread. It would take me WAY too long to write everything I said here again for you. I don't have time for that.
All I can say is VID is used for voltage target with adaptive voltage (before any extra loadline calibration is factored in). VR Vout is CPU on-die sense voltage (most accurate voltage).

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Memory Overclocker

Please read my other posts I wrote in the 9900K thread and the Aorus thread. It would take me WAY too long to write everything I said here again for you. I don't have time for that.
All I can say is VID is used for voltage target with adaptive voltage (before any extra loadline calibration is factored in). VR Vout is CPU on-die sense voltage (most accurate voltage).
So, why when I set a fixed CPU voltage of 1.370V in the BIOS, do I get a VR Vout of 1.270V? Is this just a wonky motherboard? Or is it expected that VR Vout is less than the CPU voltage you set in the BIOS?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

So, why when I set a fixed CPU voltage of 1.370V in the BIOS, do I get a VR Vout of 1.270V? Is this just a wonky motherboard? Or is it expected that VR Vout is less than the CPU voltage you set in the BIOS?
All motherboards are like this except Maximus XI.
Read.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/27686004-post2664.html

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 07:45 PM
Not new to overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 62)

If I set the Voltage control to "Fixed" instead of "Auto" (which I'm advised "real" overclockers do in order to get finer grain control and optimization), then I get the following results:
Negative. Real overclockers use manual voltage as a tool and then use adaptive for their 24/7 solid overclock. As I have come to learn in my pursuit of perfecting adaptive mode is that people shy away because its...."hard".

Sandy-Capable
(14 items)
CPU
i7-8700k
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus X Code
GPU
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming Trio
RAM
GSkill Trident Z Rgb
Hard Drive
970 evo
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G3
Cooling
H150i Pro
Case
LianLi PC011 Air
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
HP Omen 27"
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Razer Abyssus
CPU
i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3
GPU
MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme
GPU
MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme
RAM
Gskill Sniper 8gb 1866mHz @ 1.35v
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 pro
Optical Drive
Lite-On
Power Supply
Corsair hx 750
Cooling
rs 240
Case
OBSIDIAN 800D
Operating System
WINDOWS 7 64
Monitor
Alienware aw2310
Keyboard
corsair k70
Audio
Logitech Z906
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 12:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by guitarmageddon88 View Post
Negative. Real overclockers use manual voltage as a tool and then use adaptive for their 24/7 solid overclock. As I have come to learn in my pursuit of perfecting adaptive mode is that people shy away because its...."hard".
Hard?
You find your minimum stable voltage with manual and enter it into adaptive...or skew the offset to equal that number.
We use manual mode because if we used adaptive the stress tests would be using a much higher vcore than what was set.
It's not something that enthusiasts do, it's something you have to do to get consistent values so you actually know your vcore.

If you wanted to you could set your multiplier and enter a low adaptive or offset value while keeping your LLC the same. If you crash you'd just up the vcore in the same way. This would make overclocking your cache and ram more like guess work though. Plus a different stress test might load it up differently and end up with less or much more voltage than it needed. Variables bruh.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
auto voltage , i7-9700k , vcore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in