9900k/Aorus Master temp issues stock and oc - Help Please! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

9900k/Aorus Master temp issues stock and oc - Help Please!

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
9900k/Aorus Master temp issues stock and oc - Help Please!

Gigabyte Aorus Master - BIOS F8B and F8E
Corsair H80vi2 AIO
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz ram 32gb

It's been many years since I've played around with overclocking. I've been struggling with this new build for a couple weeks now and trying to figure out if this is a bad chip or a bad board.

When I first ran some benchmark tests at stock settings, I was getting 27-28c idle and low 80s at 100% load using Intel XTU and at times the idle temps were dropping under 25 with peak temps under 80.

I then tried to do some OC'ing and was never able to get anything working right using the Gigabyte provided overclocking guide. I had to stop as anything I throw at it over 1.25v sends XTU load temps to throttle at 100c. Since then I've been trying to get it back to stock, but the idle temps are now +5c and peak temps are hitting 100c even at default settings.

I made sure the pump fan is at 100%. I've tried reflashing the bios with F8E which came out recently. That didn't make a difference. I then went back to F8B, same thing. I've tried XMP on and disabled as well.

My voltage is set to auto, and it looks like even at auto its sending over 1.25v? Does Auto voltage change even across the same bios reflashes? I tried to drop it manually to 1.2v, but then it crashes.

The problem with this is when I export photos in Lightroom, I'm hitting 100. So for day to day use, this is not useable. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
That H80vi2 is way too small, my H115i platinum can't even handle 5ghz AVX loads.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by alientek View Post
That H80vi2 is way too small, my H115i platinum can't even handle 5ghz AVX loads.
Sure I get that but I’m not trying to do 5ghz. This is stock. And these were temps that I was getting already with the same cooler.

Last edited by ocococ; 01-21-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ocococ View Post
Sure I get that but I’m not trying to do 5ghz. This is stock. And these were temps that I was getting already with the same cooler.
Check if the paste is spread out completely, im using liquid metal and that shaves off a few C.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by alientek View Post
Check if the paste is spread out completely, im using liquid metal and that shaves off a few C.
Thanks. I’m using noctua paste. I reapplied it before but didn’t reseat it after the 25-27 temps.

Last edited by ocococ; 01-21-2019 at 11:02 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:39 AM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast

Rep: 104 (Unique: 82)
Even a corsair H60 can run that 9900k at allcore turbo.

What are your SA and IO voltages? System Agent and VCCIO help to run higher speed ram and core clocks.

If you have adaptive or offset voltages with "auto" settings, these can CERTAINLY blast the chip with high voltage and cause overheating.

Id suggest going into the BIOS, and ticking "load optimized defaults". Reboot back into the bios, look at the voltage and temperature monitoring in the BIOS, and set your voltages that you can see, manually. Most likely, the vcore voltage will be very low, so set a temporary 1.25 volts and save settings and exit.

Boot into windows, and use an older program called "intel burn test". you will see it on majorgeek as a download, should say Agent GOD somewhere around it.

Start with the standard 1024mb test. Run it for 100 runs. This should allow you to CREEP onto a high load temp, if it still is the case.

If after 100 runs of only using 1gb, try jumping right to the "very high" 4096mb, which isnt all that high nowadays, when everyone and their momma has 8 or 16gb of ram.

If you still get odd temps, a re-paste may need to be done.

The 9xxx series of intel chips are sometimes plagued with concave chip covers (IHS), and may need a bit more thermal paste than usual. If using a non-conductive paste, throw a little more than normal on there, and use a little extra pressure when tightening the chip down. Still be careful/mindful of stripping threads though
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

@mattliston - thanks for the insight. I'm out right now but will try that when I get back. I've tried both fresh bios defaults, as well as load optimized defaults and I'm still not getting to the lower temps.

I will try again, but I don't think it's the thermal paste as nothing has changed from the lower temps to the higher temp idles (and peaks). It seems to me the auto voltage is higher now than it was before. Any thoughts on why the difference in Auto settings?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm getting some really weird inconsistencies. I'm wondering whether it's the cooler or the mobo that's causing the problem.

Here's what I did. The H80vi2 has 3 cables. Two cables go from each radiator fan into the radiator. Then one from the main unit to CPU_FAN. Previously I had the the radiator into the CPU_FAN set to Full. Then separately the two radiator fans into CPU_OPT and SYSFAN1, both of which were tied to the CPU utilization in the bios. I changed it back so that the two radiator fans went into the radiator pigtail, which then when into CPU_FAN1. I ran the test and saw temps top out in the low 80s! Success right? So I then upgraded my bios back to F8E, loaded optimized defaults...and the temps topped out at 100 again . Ran this several times...same thing. After a while, i shutdown...rebooted....and now temps are topping out at 84! What gives? Is it possible the mobo is changing the max vcore on reboot since it's set to auto?

I took a HWInfo screenshot, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vyS...ew?usp=sharing
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 385 (Unique: 275)
I'm getting some really weird inconsistencies. I'm wondering whether it's the cooler or the mobo that's causing the problem.

Here's what I did. The H80vi2 has 3 cables. Two cables go from each radiator fan into the radiator. Then one from the main unit to CPU_FAN. Previously I had the the radiator into the CPU_FAN set to Full. Then separately the two radiator fans into CPU_OPT and SYSFAN1, both of which were tied to the CPU utilization in the bios. I changed it back so that the two radiator fans went into the radiator pigtail, which then when into CPU_FAN1. I ran the test and saw temps top out in the low 80s! Success right? So I then upgraded my bios back to F8E, loaded optimized defaults...and the temps topped out at 100 again . Ran this several times...same thing. After a while, i shutdown...rebooted....and now temps are topping out at 84! What gives? Is it possible the mobo is changing the max vcore on reboot since it's set to auto?

I took a HWInfo screenshot, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vyS...ew?usp=sharing
If your vcore is on auto, then that should be the same as "Normal" except inability to adjust offset (DVID). Auto voltage is based on the default CPU VID. The default CPU VID is based on the cache ratio.
If when set settings after messing with your radiator, if the cache speed was set to 4300 mhz (x43), then your default VID should be anywhere between 1.13v to 1.20v, depending on if IA AC loadline is set to 1 or default. However when you loaded optimized defaults, it may have set your cache ratio higher.

Find out what your cache ratio is and see if the 100C temps correspond to your cache speed being higher and the 80C temps with the cache speed being lower, and you have your answer.
P.s. never use auto settings. Set your cache speed manually. Also if you want even more fine tuned control of your adaptive (Auto/ normal) voltages, set IA AC loadline to "1" if you want (you can set IA DC loadline to 1 as well).

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok I made some changes. Manually the following changes:

XMP - enabled
CPU Clock Ratio: 47
Enhanced Multi-core: Disabled
Speedshift, C1E, C3, C6/7, C8, C10 - Disabled
Uncore Ratio 4300mhz
VT-d: Disabled
CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration - Turbo
CPU VCore 1.25

With these settings, idle temps are at 30c, but when I run Intel Burn Test 1024mb, it's hitting 90-91c after a few runs. It hasn't crashed yet but I stopped it.

Intel Extreme Utility benchmark does complete, but it also hits low 90s.

For Internal AC/DC Load line I have Auto, Extreme, Turbo, Performance or Power Saving. It's set to Auto.

Here's the HWInfo screenshot - https://drive.google.com/file/d/14AX...ew?usp=sharing

Suggestions on what to do next? Am I stuck at 1.25 or lower til I get a better cooler?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in