I7-9700k -+Asus Z390-F OC issue after bios update - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

I7-9700k -+Asus Z390-F OC issue after bios update

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Marshall160 Level 1

I7-9700k -+Asus Z390-F OC issue after bios update

I7-9700k + Asus ROG Z390-F + noctua D14.

Ran a baseline Prime95 test stock and temps never went above 60 deg.

For ****s and giggles I ran the auto-asus OC tool and it ran at 5.1ghz all cores with a 1.35V, ran Prime again, passed with flying colors 72deg max.

Installed the lastest Bios in the mobo and now as soon as prime gets to the 2nd test the temps skyrocket from 62 to 95 and the PC obviously crashes, i mean it literally jumps 30 degree in 2 seconds.

Removed the auto-OC and tried going manual, I ran 5ghz at 1.375 and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could a bios update actually do this? What is happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:34 PM
New to Overclock.net
Jidonsu Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Marshall160 View Post
I7-9700k + Asus ROG Z390-F + noctua D14.

Ran a baseline Prime95 test stock and temps never went above 60 deg.

For ****s and giggles I ran the auto-asus OC tool and it ran at 5.1ghz all cores with a 1.35V, ran Prime again, passed with flying colors 72deg max.

Installed the lastest Bios in the mobo and now as soon as prime gets to the 2nd test the temps skyrocket from 62 to 95 and the PC obviously crashes, i mean it literally jumps 30 degree in 2 seconds.

Removed the auto-OC and tried going manual, I ran 5ghz at 1.375 and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could a bios update actually do this? What is happening?
Did you try increasing the load line calibration?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Marshall160 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
I am unaware of what this does, I am currently asking google

I dont have that much experience at OCing, I ran by previous 7600k @ a mild 4.6ghz OC with 1.2v.

I only did the basic stuff, ie: go up in multiplier, start high in voltage, then work your way down until its stable.

However I have never seen something like this, where the temp will shoot up literally 20-30degs in 1 second.

Last edited by Marshall160; 02-01-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:37 PM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
You really think that'll lower temps?
Jesus Christ...
Just leave LLC on Auto until you actually need to change it.

Tbh I have no idea how your OC was set up to begin with so I have no idea what changed but is it possible that you needed to disable AVX in Prime the first time and now it's not disabled? It will change it's self back to AVX eventually so I use 26.6.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Marshall160 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
You really think that'll lower temps?
Jesus Christ...
Just leave LLC on Auto until you actually need to change it.

Tbh I have no idea how your OC was set up to begin with so I have no idea what changed but is it possible that you needed to disable AVX in Prime the first time and now it's not disabled? It will change it's self back to AVX eventually so I use 26.6.

Running the smallest test in Prime even at stock clocks will make the temps spike to 75 as soon as it start and then drop to 50 but the cpus are only running @ 3.8-4.0.... are they throttling? Could a poorly installed cooler do that?

I was running a 7600k @ 4.6ghz previously and I am getting worse gaming performance out of this 9700k.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:00 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Yes that could be an issue but didn't you say this happened after a BIOS flash, not after installing the cooler? Yes they could be throttling, a lot of things could but if you used auto settings to start with I have no way to pin point anything.

I would advise setting the board to defaults and go from there.
You mentioned that auto set vcore to 1.35 and now it's running hot, then you added more vcore?
What version of P95 are you using? Is it the same as before? Do you remember disabling AVX the first time? Did the board configure an AVX offset?

I'd make sure the cooler is installed properly, set defaults, use manual vcore, input and cache voltage and set the ram to JDEC (2133) with the cache set manually to stock speed. Typical overclocking really.
Use P95 v26.6 (no AVX), using Small FFT is great for core and cache stressing.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in