Need help with OC 3770 (non-K) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need help with OC 3770 (non-K)

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
NOKFORME

Need help with OC 3770 (non-K)

Hi,
Can somebody help me with OC my 3770 non-k version?
I OC'ed it to 4.1 with multiplier but even if I set it to x43 I can't pass 4.1 ghz (I've seen some people did and I have some room for OC left too), so what is the best way to do it? Right now I get around 50-60c with only +0.2V over stock and I use MSI Z77A-G41 with latest BIOS.
Also, I have my RAM on 1866 and I wonder, should I worry more about ram freq or cpu freq? I play at 1440p and will buy 1080 or 1080 Ti soon when I'll find a good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:05 PM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Use a good cooler, add voltage, delid and add more voltage.
Make sure you're cache and ram have been set manually to lower speeds so they aren't causing the crash and make sure your input voltage is around .5v over vcore.

Edit: oh crap...non K...gotcha.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 02-02-2019 at 07:47 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:18 PM
New to Overclock.net
unclewebb is an unknown quantity at this point unclewebb is an unknown quantity at this point unclewebb is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to enable the C states, C3 or C6, so the non-K CPUs can access their maximum multiplier. When this is working correctly, you should see a difference in single threaded benchmarks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:13 PM
New to Overclock.net
J7SC

Quote: Originally Posted by NOKFORME View Post
Hi,
Can somebody help me with OC my 3770 non-k version?
I OC'ed it to 4.1 with multiplier but even if I set it to x43 I can't pass 4.1 ghz (I've seen some people did and I have some room for OC left too), so what is the best way to do it? Right now I get around 50-60c with only +0.2V over stock and I use MSI Z77A-G41 with latest BIOS.
Also, I have my RAM on 1866 and I wonder, should I worry more about ram freq or cpu freq? I play at 1440p and will buy 1080 or 1080 Ti soon when I'll find a good deal.

I used to have one of those. You can get 1 core to 43 on multi, but really, it's all about good cooling and then BCLK (bus speed from 100 to 103 or so). Fastest 3770 non-k on Dry Ice I have seen is 4677MHz at a BCLK bus of over 108, but most of the time, your PCI devices start to act weird after 103.5 BCLK in daily use (it can also potentially damage them if you clock BCLK too high), give or take...also remember that your memory speed will change with the bus speed. I suggest you max the multi, then change BCLK to 101, test thoroughly, then another 0.5 MHz BCLK step after that...rinse and repeat.

Good luck
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:54 PM
New to Overclock.net
ssateneth Level 1

You are subject to rules set by intel for running turbo states for non-k multiplier OC. Intel allows you to set the multiplier 4 bins higher than the stock max turbo frequency. A 3770 has a max turbo of 3.9GHz, so you should be able to set 4.3GHz, but it is still considered a turbo frequency, so don't expect those clocks 24/7 as it will still obey rules and limitations of turbo (amount of current, length of time of turbo state, temperatures, etc).

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
Asrock X399 Taichi
2x G.SKILL F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW (4x16GiB 4000MHz 19-19-19-39-2T)
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Seasonic PRIME 1300W 80+ Platinum
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
NOKFORME

Thank you guys for your replies, I will try one more time as soon as my case fans will be delivered! Performance is still good @4.1 but I'm still thinking maybe I should go with 9700k and not to wait for the 10th series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in