Xeon E5-2697 v3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Xeon E5-2697 v3

Old 02-02-2019, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
fra z Level 1

Xeon E5-2697 v3

Hi,

I bought a used one of these - 14 cores - i've been trying to get the full turbo speed of 3.6 Ghz on all cores but I've not been able to yet. What I have been able to obtain is a 103 base clock - and a multiplier of 31 which equals a 3.1 Ghz.

In CPU-Z the multiplier shows 12-36 - I can get 31 automatically but not 36

AsRock X99X Fatality Killer board used.

On an Asus Z10 PE D8 WS there is a asus turbo ratio lock in the BIOS which helps to get the 31 multiplier but not the 36

Is there a way to get the 36 multiplier in the BIOS?

I've noticed some other performance settings though there are not many

Any helpful tips please -

3.1 Ghz on all cores isn't bad but I've noticed idle temps are around 50 c which is quite hot - I've used a Noctura (not D15) a less beffy one but may add one later

Do XEONS delid or is there no point? -It would be good to get 3600 Mhz on all cores - any chance ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 07:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
unclewebb is an unknown quantity at this point unclewebb is an unknown quantity at this point unclewebb is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to enable the core C states, C3 or C6, so the CPU can use the maximum multiplier. This is only going to be available when a limited number of cores are active. Maybe 1 or 2 cores, not all cores.

Run CPU-Z, go to the About tab and click on Save Report. Inside this report it should show what multipliers are supported. Upload it somewhere so I can have a look.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
fra z Level 1

Hi,

I've had another look in BIOS - C states or similar has been enabled -as well as C6 which was already enabled - In the clocks within CPU-Z I can see the fluctuations between the multipliers 12 31 34 etc.....

On Asus Z10 PE D8 WS there is a BIOS setting for Asus Turbo Ratio Lock which locks the multiplier at 31 x 103 (102.8) = 3100 Mhz approx.

However, on AsRock X99X Fatality Killer the multiplier fluctuates - Is this how it is meant to be at its best? - If it is I've no problem with this....

There are some other settings which I'd need to research though the AsRock BIOS is not too vast albeit for some items I'm not sure about

Maybe some other X99 boards may have more BIOS options?

It's good to have a used XEON on an X99 board
Attached Files
File Type: txt 2697 v3 report.txt (239.5 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
fra z Level 1

OK I've tried out a number of boards with the XEON - AsRock X99 is the best - It seems possible to enable C-States 3 & 6. There is another option...

I've tried out the passmark software and done a basic CPU test with 64 GB DDR4 RAM and the score was 22,9xx - This was consistent.

Without C states enabled the score was around 21,500+

It also seems that C-states does not work on Asus X99 motherboards??? - It wrecked an installation that needed recovering.....So it must be that AsRock have made it possible to work where Asus have not.

The Asus X99-E WS was different where C-states did work in the BIOS and the system booted so the score was 22,500 - Anyhow it's good to have it working and learning a little more.....and even without C states the CPU still performs as per the Passmark base scores....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in