Self binning 8086Ks - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Self binning 8086Ks

Old 02-03-2019, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Bun-Bun Level 1

Self binning 8086Ks

Long story short... I have four 8086Ks. I get to pick one to keep for delidding and putting in my main rig. Thought picking one would be easy. Turns out I am mistaken in that thought.

Board is a Maximus X Formula. Ram is 2x 16GB G.Skill Trident-Z RGB 3200MHz CAS14 (yes RGB puke move along ). PSU is 700W Seasonic Titanium Prime. Cooler is a Noctua DH15 with both fans on 100% and a fan blowing over the RAM and VRM.

I set up bios using XMP and disabling all the multicore and adaptive voltage crap and set cache to 4.7GHz for all tests. Basically followed der8auer's Maximus IX Formula video. Set vccio and system agent to 1.2375V and left it there. Will try and get those lower once I get into the final config. Using prime95 v29.4 with AVX disabled as when I started this process I didn't have my liquid loop going. I'll go for full AVX stable once delidded and under water. Basically run 1344 in place until its stable for an hour. Then switch to 24 hours of the default prime95 tests, finding blend being the toughest to get 24 hour stable.

Note: voltage recorded are the setting in bios, not actual read by software. In all the testing I didn't see the reported voltage change between them so I didn't bother to record it. And temps are not directly comparable, due to space constraints my test bed kept moving around between tests.

First round: 5.0GHz

CPU #1 - 5.0GHz @ 1.29V (forgot to record temps)
CPU #2 - 5.0GHz @ 1.25V (71 76 83 79 78 78 max temps)
CPU #3 - 5.0GHz @ 1.24V (75 70 75 73 71 72 max temps)
CPU #4 - 5.0GHz @ 1.25V (74 72 76 74 72 72 max temps)

So at first glance CPU #3 is the best chip and I should keep it right? But I wasn't comfortable with how close the results were and the fact I kept moving the computer around so the ambient conditions weren't always the same. But CPU#1 is clearly the worst so I dropped it from round 2.

Second round: 5.1GHz

CPU #2 - 5.1GHz @ 1.32V (87 81 89 85 83 83 max temps)
CPU #3 - 5.1GHz @ 1.31V (85 80 86 84 80 83 max temps)
CPU #4 - 5.1GHz @ 1.29V (79 75 81 79 78 77 max temps)

Ah, so now CPU #4 pulled ahead! At least... I think so? During the 5.0GHz testing the CPU was more prone to hardlocks vs just causing errors in prime95 than CPU #3. Think that means anything?

I have my water loop going again. EVO Supremecy and a big ass 560 rad. Should I try testing @ 5.2GHz before delidding?

What are everyones thoughts on my testing and results. Go with CPU #4? Or the less prone to hard locking #3? Or do some different testing methodology?

Last edited by Bun-Bun; 02-03-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 04:45 PM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Adding AVX would further complicate things lol
I'd go big or go home. Keep going higher and higher using P95 26.6 with FFTs in place with a size of 1344k
Test a single CPU, take it as high as you possibly can doing 15 minute P95 runs on whatever voltage you're willing to use. Save the profile, swap CPUs and see if it can do it with more or less vcore. I'd set input at around 1.85-1.9v and use the same LLC each time...whatever it takes to make the input voltage drop a tiny bit under load. If Asus uses the same scale as z97, it should be 5 or 6 LLC.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Old 02-03-2019, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Bun-Bun Level 1

Yeah I didn't think to do shorter tests as I've always cared more about 24/7. But maybe shorter runs of higher frequency would be better to expedite this process.

What do you mean input voltage of 1.85-1.9V? LLC is set based on der8auer's which does give the slight droop instead of overvolting like the next setting does. All settings between tests are kept the same only adjust all core frequency and vcore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 05:10 PM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post
Yeah I didn't think to do shorter tests as I've always cared more about 24/7. But maybe shorter runs of higher frequency would be better to expedite this process.

What do you mean input voltage of 1.85-1.9V? LLC is set based on der8auer's which does give the slight droop instead of overvolting like the next setting does. All settings between tests are kept the same only adjust all core frequency and vcore.
Setting a high input rules out crashes based on input voltage. It's typically advised to use 0.5v over vcore and since you have a loop you should be able to push more than 1.4v so 1.9v is reasonable and safe. This should not be left on auto when using a higher vcore.
LLC hase a larger affect on input voltage than it does vcore so as long as you only get a slight input droop under load, it's all good there.

The point here isn't to stabilize it, it's to find the fastest one at a give voltage. Usually XOC guys don't even stress, they just run the bench and increase then run again. You can stabilize after the binning.

15 minutes won't confirm 100% stability but it will get you in the ball park which is enough to verify the fastest CPU. I'd actually only do 5 minutes or so if I were doing 10 CPUs.

If you want to 100% stabilize all of them, I'm not going to stop you lol

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Old 02-03-2019, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Bun-Bun Level 1

Alright, I've never looked at this input voltage stuff before. I shall do that now.

I also have the VRM block in the loop now as well.

I think I will limit the further testing to CPU #3 and #4 since in my second round #2 definitely fell behind.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:32 PM
New to Overclock.net
Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Setting a high input rules out crashes based on input voltage. It's typically advised to use 0.5v over vcore and since you have a loop you should be able to push more than 1.4v so 1.9v is reasonable and safe. This should not be left on auto when using a higher vcore.
LLC hase a larger affect on input voltage than it does vcore so as long as you only get a slight input droop under load, it's all good there.

The point here isn't to stabilize it, it's to find the fastest one at a give voltage. Usually XOC guys don't even stress, they just run the bench and increase then run again. You can stabilize after the binning.

15 minutes won't confirm 100% stability but it will get you in the ball park which is enough to verify the fastest CPU. I'd actually only do 5 minutes or so if I were doing 10 CPUs.

If you want to 100% stabilize all of them, I'm not going to stop you lol
What exactly is input voltage?
(on gigabyte boards?)
I've never seen such a thing before.
I see "VIN3" in HWinfo as 1.705v, but there is no entry in the Aorus master bios for this setting....

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
Old 02-03-2019, 05:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
What exactly is input voltage?
(on gigabyte boards?)
I've never seen such a thing before.
I see "VIN3" in HWinfo as 1.705v, but there is no entry in the Aorus master bios for this setting....
Socket/Input voltage is what feeds the different components on the die including the cache, IMC, core, PCH and so on. It's just the bus that all those things feed from becasue it's much harder to reduce 12v inside the CPU opposed to on the board and have the various components step down from there.
It might be called something else but it's gotta be there, it's usually called VCCIN on Intel but for all I know it's changed now.

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Old 02-03-2019, 05:41 PM
New to Overclock.net
Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Socket/Input voltage is what feeds the different components on the die including the cache, IMC, core, PCH and so on. It's just the bus that all those things feed from becasue it's much harder to reduce 12v inside the CPU opposed to on the board and have the various components step down from there.
It might be called something else but it's gotta be there, it's usually called VCCIN on Intel but for all I know it's changed now.
I sent you a PM with a screenshot.
My VIN3 reads 1.705v~1.693v but I don't seem to have access to this in the bios.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
Old 02-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Overclocker
JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about

Set max comfortable voltage, set the highest clock each chip will run under some complex load such as encoding or for the lazy pass a Cinebench R15. Prime95... I don't use that even for older Intel CPUs, it's too simple, it's a burner to test your cooling not the CPU really.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Set max comfortable voltage, set the highest clock each chip will run under some complex load such as encoding or for the lazy pass a Cinebench R15. Prime95... I don't use that even for older Intel CPUs, it's too simple, it's a burner to test your cooling not the CPU really.
Only if you use it wrong.
If used correctly is can find instability faster than anything else that doesn't use AVX. Plus P95 will allow you to focus on certain areas. Also It's only a furnace test if you allow it to be.
I'm not sure what too simple means...it's calculating prime numbers and supports several instruction sets plus allowing you to only stress what you need to at a given time.

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in