Help my cool 9900k/RTX 2080 Ti (cooled) - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Help my cool 9900k/RTX 2080 Ti (cooled)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:10 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
postem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 305
Rep: 14 (Unique: 10)
Quote: Originally Posted by Yomny View Post
Using Realbench. I max out at 90C but its usually anywhere from 70-85C considering a 23C ambient, not sure its too bad. I'll wait for the thermal past and liuid metal to settle in and give it another go. Right now i could only get 4.9ghz with no avx offset, cache 48 get pretty decent bench results. 5ghz with this boards seems to not be possible. Tried all sorts of vcore, cache speeds, AVX offset...no luck. I could post and run benchmarks, play games but cant pas realbench.
I was considering 9900K, but, besides the extra cost, i am worried about those temps.
With 8700K @ 5ghz 1.34v, its dellided, but on noctua dH15 i managed to max 75c on realbench on a day with 32c ambient on my room, so 43c delta. 8700k rocks like a champion, on colder days like today i run it around 65c its really awesome.

I know the thing is you want to run it fully under 5ghz, but there are options:
a) Use some 360mm AIO, but with loudy fans
b) Consider lowering it to 4.8ghz. As far as i checked around, its a sweet spot between frequency x voltage x temps
c) direct mount
d) lapping the die

AFAIK, part of the issues are due to the bigger diffusion barrier that intel increased to deal with the solder.
postem is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Yomny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,138
Rep: 20 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by postem View Post
I was considering 9900K, but, besides the extra cost, i am worried about those temps.
With 8700K @ 5ghz 1.34v, its dellided, but on noctua dH15 i managed to max 75c on realbench on a day with 32c ambient on my room, so 43c delta. 8700k rocks like a champion, on colder days like today i run it around 65c its really awesome.

I know the thing is you want to run it fully under 5ghz, but there are options:
a) Use some 360mm AIO, but with loudy fans
b) Consider lowering it to 4.8ghz. As far as i checked around, its a sweet spot between frequency x voltage x temps
c) direct mount
d) lapping the die

AFAIK, part of the issues are due to the bigger diffusion barrier that intel increased to deal with the solder.
The 360 is prob the way ill end up going. I also have it running at 4.9ghz with no avx offset and 46 cache and its really happy there, using 1.27vcore under stress. The thing that bugs me is the difference in vcore in various loads. For example, under gaming i get 1.32vcore, Realbench 1.27

Ive also delidded the bastard and used a bigger cooper IHS which im assuming is helping temps. I'd just hate to spend nearly $200 for a new cooler and have it be worse than what i have lol. All this for the same of overlcocking because the 9900k at stock frequencies is great, it's already pushing 47 on all cores and touches 50 on a few cores while loaded. Mind you, some people get 5.1 at 1.32vcore without issues, not many but 5.0 under 1.3vcore also without hiccups. Ive just never had much luck with that or my testing methods are too strenuous.

I do appreciate your input.

Corsair
(9 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900k 4.9ghz @1.3
Motherboard
Asrock Z390 Extreme4
GPU
RTX 2080 Ti EVGA HC Waterblock
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series F4-3000C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo m.2 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
Cooling
HWL 280-120mm CPU/GPU
Case
Corsair 460x RGB
Operating System
Win 10
▲ hide details ▲
Yomny is offline  
post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 01:38 AM
Knowledge is Success
 
Knoxx29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 320
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I was considering getting a 9900K myself but i refuse to give up to my 8086K which is a damn good overclockable one.

BlackWidow
(16 items)
SR 2 Prototype
(11 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8086K
Motherboard
Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
RAM
G.skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue
Power Supply
Enermax platimax
Cooling
Waterchiller
Case
Lian Li V3000
Operating System
Windows 10 pro
Monitor
Asus rog swift pg278q
CPU
Xeon X5677
Motherboard
Evga SR 2
GPU
Geforce Gtx 1080 classified
RAM
G.Skill RipjawsX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Hard Drive
Western Digital blue
Power Supply
Enermax Platimax 80Plus Platinum OC Edition
Cooling
ARCTIC Freezer XTREME Rev. 2
Case
Lian Li PC-A75WX
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q
▲ hide details ▲
Knoxx29 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Yomny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,138
Rep: 20 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by Knoxx29 View Post
I was considering getting a 9900K myself but i refuse to give up to my 8086K which is a damn good overclockable one.
I think that's a good choice lol specially with the cost of the 9900k.

Corsair
(9 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900k 4.9ghz @1.3
Motherboard
Asrock Z390 Extreme4
GPU
RTX 2080 Ti EVGA HC Waterblock
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series F4-3000C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo m.2 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
Cooling
HWL 280-120mm CPU/GPU
Case
Corsair 460x RGB
Operating System
Win 10
▲ hide details ▲
Yomny is offline  
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:43 AM
Overclocked
 
scracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 1,989
Rep: 116 (Unique: 83)
Quote: Originally Posted by Knoxx29 View Post
Unfortunately Intel started messing up things since they launched the 7700K ( temp spikes )after that they wanted to offer CPUs with more cores and high clock speed which leaded to high temps and from now on who wants to buy an Intel CPU needs to buy/build a Watercooling System, well done Intel
Sadly this is the case the amount of power a 9900K draws during a decent stress test requires a custom loop, the only way around this would be to get a very low voltage 9900K sample. Even with my custom loop [email protected] 1.344V (load) my temps spike at 80 degrees C with a 23 degrees C ambient running OCCT large data sets which doesn't produce as much heat as AIDA64 with FPU option ticked which topped out at 91 degrees C with a 30 degree ambient. Bottom line depending on the custom loop your basically limited to a Vcore of around 1.35V under load.

ROG Maximus X Formula, Intel Core [email protected]/4.8Ghz Cache 1.344V (OCCT Load) (OCCT Stable), Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition [email protected], EVGA GTX1070 SLI, Samsung 960 Pro x2 (Raid 0) (O/S), Samsung 850 Pro x4 (Raid 0) (Data)
ROG THOR 850W PSU, EK Custom Loop 2x PE-360 Radiators, Corsair ML120 Pro Fans, Phanteks Evolv X, Creative Soundblaster Z, Woo Audio WA7D, Sennheiser HD660S, ROG PG279Q 2560x1440 165Hz IPS Monitor, Windows 10 Pro Build 1809.

Last edited by scracy; 02-18-2019 at 04:52 AM.
scracy is offline  
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:39 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Shawnb99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver,Canada
Posts: 345
Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
91c for the CPU would scare the hell out of me

I just upgraded to a 9900k myself and seeing all these high temps has me concerned. Glad I have a custom loop cause i could never accept temps that high. I’d worry it would burn itself out that high
Shawnb99 is offline  
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 AM
Overclocked
 
scracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 1,989
Rep: 116 (Unique: 83)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
91c for the CPU would scare the hell out of me

I just upgraded to a 9900k myself and seeing all these high temps has me concerned. Glad I have a custom loop cause i could never accept temps that high. I’d worry it would burn itself out that high
Keep in mind though that's worst case scenario with relatively high ambient temperature. Real world it wouldn't get that high in day to day use in most cases.

ROG Maximus X Formula, Intel Core [email protected]/4.8Ghz Cache 1.344V (OCCT Load) (OCCT Stable), Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition [email protected], EVGA GTX1070 SLI, Samsung 960 Pro x2 (Raid 0) (O/S), Samsung 850 Pro x4 (Raid 0) (Data)
ROG THOR 850W PSU, EK Custom Loop 2x PE-360 Radiators, Corsair ML120 Pro Fans, Phanteks Evolv X, Creative Soundblaster Z, Woo Audio WA7D, Sennheiser HD660S, ROG PG279Q 2560x1440 165Hz IPS Monitor, Windows 10 Pro Build 1809.
scracy is offline  
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:58 AM
Knowledge is Success
 
Knoxx29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 320
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by scracy View Post
Sadly this is the case the amount of power a 9900K draws during a decent stress test requires a custom loop, the only way around this would be to get a very low voltage 9900K sample. Even with my custom loop [email protected] 1.344V (load) my temps spike at 80 degrees C with a 23 degrees C ambient running OCCT large data sets which doesn't produce as much heat as AIDA64 with FPU option ticked which topped out at 91 degrees C with a 30 degree ambient. Bottom line depending on the custom loop your basically limited to a Vcore of around 1.35V under load.
At least for me heat wouldn't be problem my Watercooling System could handle the hotter 9900K out there.

Quote: Originally Posted by Yomny View Post
I think that's a good choice lol specially with the cost of the 9900k.
It's not because the price, i paid more for the 8086K than what a 9900K cost.

BlackWidow
(16 items)
SR 2 Prototype
(11 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8086K
Motherboard
Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
RAM
G.skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue
Power Supply
Enermax platimax
Cooling
Waterchiller
Case
Lian Li V3000
Operating System
Windows 10 pro
Monitor
Asus rog swift pg278q
CPU
Xeon X5677
Motherboard
Evga SR 2
GPU
Geforce Gtx 1080 classified
RAM
G.Skill RipjawsX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Hard Drive
Western Digital blue
Power Supply
Enermax Platimax 80Plus Platinum OC Edition
Cooling
ARCTIC Freezer XTREME Rev. 2
Case
Lian Li PC-A75WX
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q
▲ hide details ▲
Knoxx29 is offline  
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Yomny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,138
Rep: 20 (Unique: 16)
So i'm really close to pulling the trigger on a water loop. Sadly, contradicting my initial post, i see this cpu isn't working nicely with air coolers, not mine at least as i need over 1.3vcore for 5ghz. Now the concern, my GPU temps. The only way i could fit a nice 280mm rad is up front(360's don't fit) and that would really require me to use the fans as intake for optimal cooling. The only way to get rid of the hot air coming into the PC and helping rid the GPU of the hot air its generating is having two or three fans sucking all that air out, so negative pressure, hence dust. I dont think using two top fans as intakes will help as the cold air from the top will be pushed by the hot air the GPU is pushing up.

Opinions?

Corsair
(9 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900k 4.9ghz @1.3
Motherboard
Asrock Z390 Extreme4
GPU
RTX 2080 Ti EVGA HC Waterblock
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series F4-3000C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo m.2 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
Cooling
HWL 280-120mm CPU/GPU
Case
Corsair 460x RGB
Operating System
Win 10
▲ hide details ▲
Yomny is offline  
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:07 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Telstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,001
Rep: 24 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by Yomny View Post
The 360 is prob the way ill end up going. I also have it running at 4.9ghz with no avx offset and 46 cache and its really happy there, using 1.27vcore under stress. The thing that bugs me is the difference in vcore in various loads. For example, under gaming i get 1.32vcore, Realbench 1.27

Ive also delidded the bastard and used a bigger cooper IHS which im assuming is helping temps. I'd just hate to spend nearly $200 for a new cooler and have it be worse than what i have lol. All this for the same of overlcocking because the 9900k at stock frequencies is great, it's already pushing 47 on all cores and touches 50 on a few cores while loaded. Mind you, some people get 5.1 at 1.32vcore without issues, not many but 5.0 under 1.3vcore also without hiccups. Ive just never had much luck with that or my testing methods are too strenuous.

I do appreciate your input.
If you haven't bought anything yet, I would consider the Alphacool eisbaer 360 normal or LT version (cheaper no lights). I'm pretty sure it can cool your chip at 5.0 at the required voltage. Less than 150 bucks and it IS better than the noctua "12" and all asetek-based AIOs.

Unfortunately your cpu doesn't look particularly lucky, the upper 30% require only 1.2v for 5ghz all core. But since you delidded it and put a nice copper HS, you should push it!

new rig 2019:
Intel 9900k >5ghz | Asus Maximus XI Gene | Eisbaer 360 LT (custom loop in progress) | bequiet! Dark Base 700 white edition | Team group Nighthawk 16GB 4000mhz | MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Storage: Intel Optane 900p 280GB + Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB + WD Red 3TB | Corsair HX850i | Benq BL3200PT 1440p | 1Gbit ftth |
Telstar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off