8700k overheating at stock speeds - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

8700k overheating at stock speeds

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:08 AM
New to Overclock.net
broodro0ster Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by TheLastHero View Post
Liquid metal. The problem is that it's sitting in the high 90's to hitting 101C, and the thermal throttling kicks in. At that point I just stop the test
Hmmm, that's a lot then. Do you have another cooler that you can test? Maybe a high end aircooler or something like that?

My Rig
(18 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Hero X
GPU
MSI 1080TI Gaming X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000C15
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM850X
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Cooling
Dual Hardware Labs Nemesis 360GTS with FD Venturi HP-12 PWM fans
Cooling
EK D5 PWM
Cooling
EK 1080 Strix waterblock + backplate
Case
Fractal Design Define R6
Operating System
Windows Pro 10
Monitor
Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Zowie FK-2
Mousepad
Steel Series QCK Heavy
Audio
Sennheiser HD598 + ModMic 4.0
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TheLastHero Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
Hmmm, that's a lot then. Do you have another cooler that you can test? Maybe a high end aircooler or something like that?
Unfortunately no, this is the only cooler I have.

i7 8700K De-lid | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 2666 DDR4 @3200mhz/1.35V | EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Asus ROG Z370-F Gaming | Samsung 850 EVO 256GB x2 | Seagate 1TB HD | Corsair RM650x PSU | Corsair H115i PRO Liquid cooler |Corsair 400C case (White)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by TheLastHero View Post
After looking at the receipt, it's a lot older than I thought... Purchased 3/28/2017. Do all AIO liquid coolers use the "Asetek" pump design? What would you suggest as a good replacement for my H100i? When this thing was working properly, I couldn't even get 4.8ghz out of the 8700k.....which is delidded to boot.
Really? 4.7Ghz can be hit with just MCE right?
Either way yeah almost all CLC use the same pumps and rads. The people that sell them fit them with RGB and fans.
I'd go with high end air, AIO units like the one Alphacool is making or custom water. Swiftec makes a good one but the reliability doesn't seem to be there.

Many were able to get pretty good speeds out of air coolers...fyi high end air is generally better than 240mm AIOs but the 280s and 360s can do a bit better. After the heat soak there is often little difference in most of the reviews I've seen comparing air cooling and CLCs.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:19 AM
Senior OCN Member
shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about

CLC coolers are overrated overhyped overpriced loud and unreliable but some die hard fanboys will disagee with some or all of that
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...lc-cooler.html

A dual tower air cooler would be better option than a H100i its cheaper its just as good if not better its way more quiet and only the fans can go wrong
As for Assetek they are a scumbag company that has a patent on having the pump on the CPU mount which means they have and will sue all companies that have tried or will try to do the same

They should never have been granted a patent for such a loose and undefined concept and its in a way patent trolling
Assetek has a near monopoly on market because of that so dont support them

Seravee
(31 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
Other
CableMod LED Strips
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TheLastHero Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
CLC coolers are overrated overhyped overpriced loud and unreliable but some die hard fanboys will disagee with some or all of that
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...lc-cooler.html

A dual tower air cooler would be better option than a H100i its cheaper its just as good if not better its way more quiet and only the fans can go wrong
As for Assetek they are a scumbag company that has a patent on having the pump on the CPU mount which means they have and will sue all companies that have tried or will try to do the same

They should never have been granted a patent for such a loose and undefined concept and its in a way patent trolling
Assetek has a near monopoly on market because of that so dont support them
This is good to know. I'm not a die hard fanboy when it comes to these things, but I was always under the impression that liquid had the upper hand when it came to OC cooling. Not knowing much about AIO's beforehand, of course.

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Really? 4.7Ghz can be hit with just MCE right?
Either way yeah almost all CLC use the same pumps and rads. The people that sell them fit them with RGB and fans.
I'd go with high end air, AIO units like the one Alphacool is making or custom water. Swiftec makes a good one but the reliability doesn't seem to be there.

Many were able to get pretty good speeds out of air coolers...fyi high end air is generally better than 240mm AIOs but the 280s and 360s can do a bit better. After the heat soak there is often little difference in most of the reviews I've seen comparing air cooling and CLCs.
What's MCE? After messing around stress testing with IBT @ stock CPU settings the max temp hit 93C, with an average of 79C. This is on IBT's "Very high" setting/10 runs. One of the tubes on the cooler feels slightly warm, while the other doesn't. I'm so confused right now as to what the hecks wrong. This whole temp issue has been right out of the blue, and only noticed when updating to the latest bios version, and having to setup my overclock again, and stress test it....

i7 8700K De-lid | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 2666 DDR4 @3200mhz/1.35V | EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Asus ROG Z370-F Gaming | Samsung 850 EVO 256GB x2 | Seagate 1TB HD | Corsair RM650x PSU | Corsair H115i PRO Liquid cooler |Corsair 400C case (White)

Last edited by TheLastHero; 02-11-2019 at 05:36 AM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:40 AM
New to Overclock.net
guidonz

Im currently running custom loop with i7-7700k @ 4.7-5.0GHz, GTX1080Ti SC and an EK240 Coolstream SE.

It's all being driven by the Pump from a Corsair, I think it was originally an H110i.
The pump is just temporary untill I get around to having a custom res. machined for...a more scalable pumping solution.

I write this to tell you that last week, when I received the 2nd (of 3 total) fittings package I bled and reconfigured my loop then had an airlock in that pump.
Its very lucky I was dealing with an open case design because, even full access including ability to invert and shake the pump, it took about 2 hours to clear that airlock!!

It gets noisy, rev's its guts out and is a total pain in the butt to get it fully primed.

During all that time it pumps barely a teaspoon of water over 5 seconds, but I must say, its designed never to be opened and it worked flawlessly for a year or so when sealed in it's original state (untill I pulled it apart )

If yours has got an air bubble locked in there it could be a source of alot of your problems. For the cash and pain you could spare yoursel I would seriously recommend just replacing with a similar AIO unit, however FYI there is a fill/bleed port under the circuit board if you have some skills with tools and a soldering iron...

I highly recommend not to remove the screws that go are on the face where the copper interfaces with the CPU though, they are done up very tight, with quite shallow countersink heads, and made of poor material-I had an embarrisingly high destruction rate on those.

Asetek has the patent for a pump mounted to the cpu cooling block.....so pretty much all Corsair and similar styled AIO units are made by Asetek to the vendors performance and branding specifications.
Of course as a result of blanacing a brands variables such as, size, weight, cost, and ....bling-ness there are numerous differences in performance, but fairly minor I believe.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TheLastHero Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by guidonz View Post
For the cash and pain you could spare yoursel I would seriously recommend just replacing with a similar AIO unit
This is what I'm thinking of doing, assuming that there's a serious issue with my current AIO...which seems to be the case. I have a Corsair 400C case, which isn't too accommodating for a giant air cooler. For that reason, and being that I like the clean look of AIO units in windowed cases is why I went with it in the first place. I'm weary of them now though, being that a lot of people online claim that they don't last more than a few years....maybe 5 max if you're lucky, due to all the things that can go wrong with em.

Being that I live in Canada, RMA'ing my current unit to corsair is probably gonna cost a pretty penny. Don't know if it'll even be worth it

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:21 AM
Senior OCN Member
shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about

If you like the look of a CLC cooler but dont like them because of the poor quality reliability and performance both EK, Swiftech and Alphacool have AIO kits you can buy
The good thing about those is they are open and can be expanded upon if you want to liquid cool something else later and the quality is much higher

The downside to those is higher costs and that you have to maintain them but they are superior in every other way
Either that or go with a good air cooler as CLC coolers gives you the worst of everything

Seravee
(31 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
Other
CableMod LED Strips
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TheLastHero Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
If you like the look of a CLC cooler but dont like them because of the poor quality reliability and performance both EK, Swiftech and Alphacool have AIO kits you can buy
The good thing about those is they are open and can be expanded upon if you want to liquid cool something else later and the quality is much higher

The downside to those is higher costs and that you have to maintain them but they are superior in every other way
Either that or go with a good air cooler as CLC coolers gives you the worst of everything
I just want to make sure that it is indeed the cpu cooler that under performing, before I go buying anything new. CPU package is at around 34-35C right now, with just Firefox, Microsoft edge, and HWinfo64 open. The temps during basic use are nowhere near crazy, it's just under stress testing so far. Gaming it might hit around 70 at times

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

MCE is something used by board makers to force your single core turbo to all cores so your single core 4.7ghz gets applied to all cores. Intel doesn't do that by default to stay within their TDP.
To even get the turbo speeds that Intel advertises on the 9900k and 9700k you must exceede the TDP, this is also considered an overclock.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in