8700k overheating at stock speeds - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

8700k overheating at stock speeds

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TheLastHero Level 1

8700k overheating at stock speeds

I recently updated the bios on mobo the latest version, and ever since then my 8700K can't overclock at all without getting way above safe temp during stress testing. Even at STOCK running IBT on "very high", it pushes over 90C. MY chip is delidded with grizzly, and I've re-applied the thermal paste to see if that would have any impact on it...but didn't do anything. I've also tried checking my H00i V2 cooler, and I can feel vibration on the coolant lines, So I'm assuming the pump it working (currently running at full speed 3K RPM). The fans on it are also running at the same percentage that they were prior to the bios update (50%). Prior to the update, I was running the cpu at 4.7ghz, @ 1.3v.

Any ideas as to what's causing this? I can't see a bios update screwing things up this bad.

i7 8700K De-lid | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 2666 DDR4 @3200mhz/1.35V | EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Asus ROG Z370-F Gaming | Samsung 850 EVO 256GB x2 | Seagate 1TB HD | Corsair RM650x PSU | Corsair H115i PRO Liquid cooler |Corsair 400C case (White)

Last edited by TheLastHero; 02-10-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TheLastHero Level 1

Update:

I reverted back to the old bios version that I was using before (v616), and the issue still remains. Do all roads lead to failure in the cooling department? It's weird because I never noticed any issues with this after setting the overclock late last year. Idle temp and gaming temps were well within acceptable range, around 70C max gaming and 40ish idle or while doing basic stuff.

Doesn't matter if it's IBT or realbench, the high CPU temp happens on both during testing. Overclocked or not

i7 8700K De-lid | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 2666 DDR4 @3200mhz/1.35V | EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Asus ROG Z370-F Gaming | Samsung 850 EVO 256GB x2 | Seagate 1TB HD | Corsair RM650x PSU | Corsair H115i PRO Liquid cooler |Corsair 400C case (White)

Last edited by TheLastHero; 02-11-2019 at 12:35 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:18 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Can't be 100% sure but the CLC is likely dying. Do you feel much heat on the lines? Is the rad pumping out warm air? What are the coolant temps?

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TheLastHero Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Can't be 100% sure but the CLC is likely dying. Do you feel much heat on the lines? Is the rad pumping out warm air? What are the coolant temps?
Don't feel any heat in the lines, vibration is there which should mean that the pump is working. I have the fans on the H100i configured in a "pull" configuration, no heat coming off that thing either. I went ahead and tried re-applying the thermal paste a second time, and really making sure that the block is making proper contact with the cpu.....and I'm 100% positive it's sitting right.

Note: The cpu is clocked at 4.7 in the screenshot 1.25v
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	600.6 KB
ID:	252862  

Last edited by TheLastHero; 02-11-2019 at 02:55 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:55 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by TheLastHero View Post
Don't feel any heat in the lines, vibration is there which should mean that the pump is working. I have the fans on the H100i configured in a "pull" configuration, no heat coming off that thing either.
If there's no heat in the lines I'm 99% sure it's broken. Vibration doesn't mean it's not broken, it just means the pump is doing something (not 100% dead). Could be a clog inside the cooler but that isn't likely.
For heat to leave the CPU in must go through the lines and be expelled by the rad. If that isn't happening the cooler isn't working.

Rule of thumb:
If you have a CLC and your temps were once fine and now they aren't, there's a really good chance it's dying. The pumps on CLCs are already very weak so it doesn't take much to render them ineffective.
This is probably the 10th thread I've posted in since being back on OCN where the exact same thing happened to someone else, pump still running, temps keep climbing. Broken CLC every time. Maybe I'm wrong this time but it would be the first.

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 02-11-2019 at 03:03 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TheLastHero Level 1

If there's no heat in the lines I'm 99% sure it's broken. Vibration doesn't mean it's not broken, it just means the pump is doing something (not 100% dead). Could be a clog inside the cooler but that isn't likely.
For heat to leave the CPU in must go through the lines and be expelled by the rad. If that isn't happening the cooler isn't working.

Rule of thumb:
If you have a CLC and your temps were once fine and now they aren't, there's a really good chance it's dying. The pumps on CLCs are already very weak so it doesn't take much to render them ineffective.
If this is indeed the case, it's pretty sad because I don't think this cooler is even a year old. Will have to find the receipt for it. So is it eligible for an RMA? I might buy a H150i instead (or something better, not sure what's good), and try selling whatever the send me as a replacement.

To sum things up, a simple bios update would cause an issue like this? Doesn't make any sense to me why it would, but I've never run into this kind of issue before.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

I would hope they'd RMA it. They deal with this all the time, some have good luck with them but many do not.
Personally I wouldn't support the Asetek pump design with money but to each their own. Almost all CLCs share the same pumps so I doubt there would be much difference in reliability between them all. To be much cooler than a good air cooler most CLCs also need to be louder so that's something to consider. Requiring a 280mm/360mm radiator to pull past an air cooler seems a bit inefficient to me but that's just me.

I doubt the BIOS update broke the cooler, that's likely just when you noticed it.

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 02-11-2019 at 03:17 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TheLastHero Level 1

I would hope they'd RMA it. They deal with this all the time, some have good luck with them but many do not.
Personally I wouldn't support the Asetek pump design with money but to each their own.
After looking at the receipt, it's a lot older than I thought... Purchased 3/28/2017. Do all AIO liquid coolers use the "Asetek" pump design? What would you suggest as a good replacement for my H100i? When this thing was working properly, I couldn't even get 4.8ghz out of the 8700k.....which is delidded to boot.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:57 AM
New to Overclock.net
broodro0ster Level 1

What kind of Grizzly did you use for the delid? Conductonaut (liquid metal)?
If you seeing 90°C under stress testing, then 70°C under gaming sounds right.

I'm seeing 75°C on my under stressing and 50-55°C under gaming load on my [email protected] with a custom loop.

My Rig
(18 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Hero X
GPU
MSI 1080TI Gaming X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000C15
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM850X
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Cooling
Dual Hardware Labs Nemesis 360GTS with FD Venturi HP-12 PWM fans
Cooling
EK D5 PWM
Cooling
EK 1080 Strix waterblock + backplate
Case
Fractal Design Define R6
Operating System
Windows Pro 10
Monitor
Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Zowie FK-2
Mousepad
Steel Series QCK Heavy
Audio
Sennheiser HD598 + ModMic 4.0
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TheLastHero Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
What kind of Grizzly did you use for the delid? Conductonaut (liquid metal)?
If you seeing 90°C under stress testing, then 70°C under gaming sounds right.

I'm seeing 75°C on my under stressing and 50-55°C under gaming load on my [email protected] with a custom loop.
Liquid metal. The problem is that it's sitting in the high 90's to hitting 101C, and the thermal throttling kicks in. At that point I just stop the test, prior to this I'd be hitting around 83C max during stress testing...so somethings definitely up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in