New 9980XE 00 Error code and it turns out to be a fake cpu! - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New 9980XE 00 Error code and it turns out to be a fake cpu!

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hwgeek View Post
Maybe manufacturing problem? the protecting sticker on the IHS material wasn't peeled before etching?
Nope it didn't look like that, it just looked like a perfectly placed protecting sticker on the cpu. I actually noticed its edges after it was on motherboard for a few minutes. When I pulled it off, writings stucked on the sticker. Then I left it on the box for a few seconds and it got half of the Intel logo from the cpu box aswell

I also feel like that, I hope it is a manufacturing problem but I will need more information ofc. Such as: amount of security seals on the box, if it has a hole, if writings can peel off like previous generation. I remember using Arctic Silver solution to clean thermal paste and it washed out everything on the surface a gen ago or two so maybe my only issue was the sticker but heat caused chain of events )

I also created a support ticket on Intel, hopefully they will help me as soon as possible. Surely they can identify if it is a fake.

Quote: Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post
No picture sorry, but yes there is a little hole on the IHS. Just a seal on the box, plastic clips with the inner box.

You see a hole mark on your sticker but nothing on your IHS. Looks like a fake cpu to me. Just the sticker alone means scam. Never seen a sticker on the IHS on a cpu in my life.

Scam most likely happened at the factory.
Oh wow, there is no hole on it indeed. Really? How can they do that at the factory?

Amazon doesn't have 9980XE in stock anymore do you think Intel can take care of it as long as I have a receipt, item and its box? Since it has a serial code I'm sure they can find out who did that aswell.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBlademaster01 View Post
Even if it was a manufacturing issue, that is still a reason to RMA it. Of course that would still not solve the issue you are having (unless there were further issues making it DoA).

I just want to say that the parties making counterfeit CPUs are getting more advanced and it isn’t the first time Amazon is hit by these issues.
This is unbelievable, it had everything legit. Security seal, nothing was touched.. Even the cpu looks exactly like 9980XE. I am out of words.

Last edited by andrews2547; 03-04-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:27 AM
Overclocked

Rep: 92 (Unique: 63)
Quote: Originally Posted by Nihaan View Post
Oh wow, there is no hole on it indeed. Really? How can they do that at the factory?

Amazon doesn't have 9980XE in stock anymore do you think Intel can take care of it as long as I have a receipt, item and its box? Since it has a serial code I'm sure they can find out who did that aswell.

This is unbelievable, it had everything legit. Security seal, nothing was touched.. Even the cpu looks exactly like 9980XE. I am out of words.
If everything was legit it would not have had a sticker on ihs. I would not have even installed it. Immediate return.

If it was legit it would not have had a sticker on ihs. Immediate return, shouldnt have even tried to install or remover sticker.

Last edited by andrews2547; 03-04-2019 at 06:23 AM.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:24 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 46 (Unique: 37)
Hi,
Post a link to the add on amazon.

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-99400x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:16 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 293 (Unique: 214)
Well my first guess is you bought it from Amazon probably in US aka the scam heaven. Take an Asian made fake or sticker a cheap 7 series IHS/CPU to make it look as an expensive 9 series CPU.

There is a difference between laser engraved and printed sticker, plus 7 series doesn't have a hole in IHS does it but 9 series does hence the black dot in corner to fake it, although some review photos of which there are very few for some reason on Google also look as if they have fake black dot yet other look to have a real air hole with thermal paste in it after use.

Amazon could have also chosen a "cheap" supplier as they probably love to do and got scammed themselves. Or some nifty person or rather group swapped their products to which Amazon is highly susceptible.

You really believe in "security" seals, holographs and what not? Any schmuck especially in Asia with crap ton of manufacturing capabilities available down the street can make a box, stickers, ... Elsewhere... sure it's harder because all the manufacturing has moved away thanks to useless governments. You can get anything etched in China in 10min walk in a city, they etch phone backs and anything else you want. But that takes too long, someone is probably mass producing fake Intel CPUs as always. Lookalike PCB and IHS with no die, or if Intel is real dumb they sell defects in Asia for scrap and subsequently get "repurposed" as fakes.

Why do you think Amazon has such a "consumer" centric service? Because if they didn't a lot of people would be royally pissed due to all the fakes, scams and other issues there are on Amazon, not only with 3rd party sellers... that's to be expected... don't even buy from them, but with Amazon as a seller itself.
They love to sell open box as new. Huge amounts of automation but not enough verification. A lot of (high volume) "low quality service" sales, sort of Aliexpress/Ebay of the "west" in other words order and hope you get what you ordered.

Of course it's more profitable to fake a 9980XE than it is to fake lower priced CPUs. Same thing was happening to Intel and AMD before. Various older generation CPUs being IHS moded to look as latest releases.

You will have to take it up with the seller, be it 3rd party or Amazon itself.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by hotrod717 View Post
If it was legit it would not have had a sticker on ihs. Immediate return, shouldnt have even tried to install or remover sticker.
Everything a part from that looked legit, like its box, seals, etc. I'm so curious about how they managed to swap it and seal everything back on perfectly fine. and cpu didn't look like a fake one otherwise I would notice it earlier and wouldn't even install it on the motherboard. And if it was some other fake cpu it would bend pins on the motherboard.

I contacted both Intel and Amazon, one way or another I'm sure they will help me but I will make sure they catch that p.o.s.

Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Post a link to the add on amazon.
It was a direct purchase from Amazon so as soon as they send me a refund or a replacement I will add a link and leave a review under the product page.

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Well my first guess is you bought it from Amazon probably in US aka the scam heaven. Take an Asian made fake or sticker a cheap 7 series IHS/CPU to make it look as an expensive 9 series CPU.

There is a difference between laser engraved and printed sticker, plus 7 series doesn't have a hole in IHS does it but 9 series does hence the black dot in corner to fake it, although some review photos of which there are very few for some reason on Google also look as if they have fake black dot yet other look to have a real air hole with thermal paste in it after use.

Amazon could have also chosen a "cheap" supplier as they probably love to do and got scammed themselves. Or some nifty person or rather group swapped their products to which Amazon is highly susceptible.

You really believe in "security" seals, holographs and what not? Any schmuck especially in Asia with crap ton of manufacturing capabilities available down the street can make a box, stickers, ... Elsewhere... sure it's harder because all the manufacturing has moved away thanks to useless governments. You can get anything etched in China in 10min walk in a city, they etch phone backs and anything else you want. But that takes too long, someone is probably mass producing fake Intel CPUs as always. Lookalike PCB and IHS with no die, or if Intel is real dumb they sell defects in Asia for scrap and subsequently get "repurposed" as fakes.

Why do you think Amazon has such a "consumer" centric service? Because if they didn't a lot of people would be royally pissed due to all the fakes, scams and other issues there are on Amazon, not only with 3rd party sellers... that's to be expected... don't even buy from them, but with Amazon as a seller itself.
They love to sell open box as new. Huge amounts of automation but not enough verification. A lot of (high volume) "low quality service" sales, sort of Aliexpress/Ebay of the "west" in other words order and hope you get what you ordered.

Of course it's more profitable to fake a 9980XE than it is to fake lower priced CPUs. Same thing was happening to Intel and AMD before. Various older generation CPUs being IHS moded to look as latest releases.

You will have to take it up with the seller, be it 3rd party or Amazon itself.
Yes it is from Amazon.com (US)

Your theory makes sense this is some hardcore level scamming. Everything looks legit, seller is Amazon.com, it is not a returned product with broken seals that Amazon sells. It even became available on Amazon recently, it wasn't listed before so I'm sure I'm one of the first buyers from Amazon which means their supplier is the issue here.

Well I contacted Intel and Amazon already and tomorrow I will make some phone calls about this. Considering I still have the serial code and batch id they should be able to track this down and find out who is behind it.

post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 46 (Unique: 37)
Hi,
I agree probably a return someone scammed the rma department with lol

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-99400x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Looking Ahead

Rep: 785 (Unique: 536)
Everything a part from that looked legit, like its box, seals, etc. I'm so curious about how they managed to swap it and seal everything back on perfectly fine. and cpu didn't look like a fake one otherwise I would notice it earlier and wouldn't even install it on the motherboard. And if it was some other fake cpu it would bend pins on the motherboard.

I contacted both Intel and Amazon, one way or another I'm sure they will help me but I will make sure they catch that p.o.s.

It was a direct purchase from Amazon so as soon as they send me a refund or a replacement I will add a link and leave a review under the product page.

Your theory makes sense this is some hardcore level scamming. Everything looks legit, seller is Amazon.com, it is not a returned product with broken seals that Amazon sells. It even became available on Amazon recently, it wasn't listed before so I'm sure I'm one of the first buyers from Amazon which means their supplier is the issue here.

Well I contacted Intel and Amazon already and tomorrow I will make some phone calls about this. Considering I still have the serial code and batch id they should be able to track this down and find out who is behind it.
Keep us updated. It definitely sucks that you had to waste your time like this, but I'm also interested in seeing how exactly the scam was done.

post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comme...0x_7_year_old/

I've been checking similar cases like mine but so far mine seems to be a superior way compared to the others. I wish I took a picture of it before I opened the box and before I peeled it off of IHS.

This comment is interesting...

Quote:
If you are a third party and sell through Amazon, they give you the choice of sending your inventory to their warehouses and they will ship it for you (for a slightly higher seller fee then normal, but everything is shipped via 2 day prime then, making you get more sales, especially if you undercut the Amazon price with no tax). The issue is, as far as I am aware, Amazon mixes your inventory with their own. You can be a shady 3rd party seller, send in fake products, and a fair amount of your customers will get real products.

The moral of the story is, Amazon's supply chain is severely compromised for certain products. I avoid Amazon for high value CPUs, SSDs, and a few other goods that are frequently swapped out. Those products tends to have pretty similar prices between websites because there is such high competition in price for them, so I buy from websites with, ironically, worse/more strict return inspection policies since you're less likely to get scammed.

Unfortunately Amazon will likely change their very consumer friendly policies because some ****heads like to scam it.

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)

Nothing hardcore about it. All they had to do was print out a fake box. For all you know the PCB is just fiberglass with dots glued to the bottom.
Everything is easy to make in China, especially in bulk and especially if it's worth good money.
Amazon is a breeding ground for fakes into the US market.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Great.......

Now my motherboard is dead and I don't think this is a coincidence.

What kind of damage can a fake cpu cause to the rest of the system a part from motherboard? I'm assuming it effects vrm or pins and probably it pulls so much voltage because of that. Can it effect rest of the parts such as gpu, rams, ssds etc.

Can someone provide technical information regarding this ?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in