Xeon E5-2697 v3 and E5-2698 v3 Behavior on ASUS x99-E - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Xeon E5-2697 v3 and E5-2698 v3 Behavior on ASUS x99-E

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Xeon E5-2697 v3 and E5-2698 v3 Behavior on ASUS x99-E

Hi fellow Xeon users (and non-Xeon users, too!)

I had some strange behavior yesterday. I purchased a few different processors to tinker around with on the weekend:

E5-2697 v3
E5-2698 v3 (x2)
E5-2696 v4 (x2)

I started with the 2697 in the ASUS x99-E motherboard, and went into BIOS and configured for the chip, and ran Cinebench and y-cruncher after Windows successfully installed. When running benches, Windows reported CPU speed of 3.1 GHz on all 14 cores! Yikes! Okay, I'll calm down, that's stock all-core turbo.

What's strange is what happened next. I powered off everything (of course!) and installed the 2698. Had to enter BIOS to configure for new chip, and entered Windows fine. When I ran the same Cinebench and y-cruncher tests, this 16 core behemoth also ran with a Windows-reported CPU speed of 3.1 GHz on all 16 cores. According to Pugetsystems page on the all-core turbo of these chips, the 2698 should boost to only 2.8 GHz. Weird. No, these aren't ES or QS chips, I don't dance that tango.

I'm not sure if something from the 2697 carried over to the 2698 in BIOS settings. I simply went into BIOS after it detected new CPU and demanded F1, saved and exited. Both of these were running with the shipping BIOS, from 2016.

Next, I switched to the 2696, but I was worried that it wasn't working correctly, so I updated BIOS to Version 1801 (2017/11/24) and proceeded to test. All worked as normal, and max turbo was 2.6 GHz (I believe, from memory). I then tested the other 2696 I had purchased (which had a bumped capacitor - I was very leary about trying it, but I wanted to see if the eBay seller had truly verified the chip or whether they were just saying so). It worked, but I sent it back for replacement anyways, I didn't want problems down the road.

Finally, I went back to the second 2698 I purchased, and tested it. Running CB and YC, Windows reported CPU speed of 2.8 GHz, which is what this CPU should run.

This is very strange. I didn't have time to either drop the BIOS back to older version, or repeat the initial tests in order. I'm wondering if:

- BIOS settings from 2697 carried over somehow to 2698
- updated BIOS prevents the 2698 from running at 3.1
- the first 2698 is somehow a better chip and runs 3.1 but the second will only run 2.8

I'll try re-testing this over the coming weeks, but I have some things outside of tinkering with these CPUs that will keep me busy for now. Thoughts?

Last edited by MrFahrenheit; 03-10-2019 at 07:16 AM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 04:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
You've found the reduced price Xeons as well !!!.

I can't confirm 100% but I can mention that V4 E5 2698 is Broadwell CPU architecture as the V3's are Haswell. It may be possible to run the 2697 V3 higher than 3.1 by switching off EIST (not sure 100%) It depends on the board you are using and the BIOS support for it.

So V2 IVY LGA 2011 Xeons & V3 HASWELL Xeons are really good!!!

Tags
asus x99 e , e5-2696 , e5-2697 , e5-2698 , xeon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in