Xeon E5-2697 v3 and E5-2698 v3 Behavior on ASUS x99-E - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Xeon E5-2697 v3 and E5-2698 v3 Behavior on ASUS x99-E

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Xeon E5-2697 v3 and E5-2698 v3 Behavior on ASUS x99-E

Hi fellow Xeon users (and non-Xeon users, too!)

I had some strange behavior yesterday. I purchased a few different processors to tinker around with on the weekend:

E5-2697 v3
E5-2698 v3 (x2)
E5-2696 v4 (x2)

I started with the 2697 in the ASUS x99-E motherboard, and went into BIOS and configured for the chip, and ran Cinebench and y-cruncher after Windows successfully installed. When running benches, Windows reported CPU speed of 3.1 GHz on all 14 cores! Yikes! Okay, I'll calm down, that's stock all-core turbo.

What's strange is what happened next. I powered off everything (of course!) and installed the 2698. Had to enter BIOS to configure for new chip, and entered Windows fine. When I ran the same Cinebench and y-cruncher tests, this 16 core behemoth also ran with a Windows-reported CPU speed of 3.1 GHz on all 16 cores. According to Pugetsystems page on the all-core turbo of these chips, the 2698 should boost to only 2.8 GHz. Weird. No, these aren't ES or QS chips, I don't dance that tango.

I'm not sure if something from the 2697 carried over to the 2698 in BIOS settings. I simply went into BIOS after it detected new CPU and demanded F1, saved and exited. Both of these were running with the shipping BIOS, from 2016.

Next, I switched to the 2696, but I was worried that it wasn't working correctly, so I updated BIOS to Version 1801 (2017/11/24) and proceeded to test. All worked as normal, and max turbo was 2.6 GHz (I believe, from memory). I then tested the other 2696 I had purchased (which had a bumped capacitor - I was very leary about trying it, but I wanted to see if the eBay seller had truly verified the chip or whether they were just saying so). It worked, but I sent it back for replacement anyways, I didn't want problems down the road.

Finally, I went back to the second 2698 I purchased, and tested it. Running CB and YC, Windows reported CPU speed of 2.8 GHz, which is what this CPU should run.

This is very strange. I didn't have time to either drop the BIOS back to older version, or repeat the initial tests in order. I'm wondering if:

- BIOS settings from 2697 carried over somehow to 2698
- updated BIOS prevents the 2698 from running at 3.1
- the first 2698 is somehow a better chip and runs 3.1 but the second will only run 2.8

I'll try re-testing this over the coming weeks, but I have some things outside of tinkering with these CPUs that will keep me busy for now. Thoughts?

Last edited by MrFahrenheit; 03-10-2019 at 06:16 AM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
asus x99 e , e5-2696 , e5-2697 , e5-2698 , xeon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in