Upgrade or Wait: i7 930 vs i7 7700k vs 8700k - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Upgrade or Wait: i7 930 vs i7 7700k vs 8700k

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Not a linux lobbyist
 
rluker5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,522
Rep: 42 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by junglechocolate View Post
Hi all

After getting my 1080 Ti and trying to game at 4K3D, i;ve noticed some hiccups on my old X58 rig

I have avoided the upgrade itch for years now and honestly would rather spend the money on other parts of my life but I can afford a little spending despite not wanting to.

The delima here now is, I can buy a used system for 600 bucks that includes an i7 7700k, its water cooler, ram and mobo for 600 bucks: MAXIMUS IX FORMULA
i7 7700k
Corsair cooling system
Vengeance ram sticks

or I can buy a new retail box i7 8700k and Asus Z370-A II mobo for 440. Would have to buy ram and cooler

or I can stay the current path with my 1080 Ti and i7 930 and wait for another year after I get a full time job and think about an upgrade. And or look at Ryzen

Any input?

I was pondering a Xeon upgrade but I don't think it'll help me much with 4K3D seeing as its the same architecture
Try 1080p3d for a while. That will remove the chance the 1080ti is the bottleneck anywhere and expose the shortcomings of your cpu and probably monitor. Almost all monitor setups are lacking in crosstalk performance and 3d has an inherent shortcoming with depth of view that contrasts with 4k's strength of detail. Vr type setups and dlp are good for crosstalk, but the shallow depth of view kind of ruins a lot of the benefits of 4k. At least imo.
If you still think your setup for 4k3d is worth pursuing after a bit of the newness wears off, at least you will have a better idea of how much your cpu is holding you back in your uses.

L5
(19 items)
Lea2
(12 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5950hq
Motherboard
z97 Classified
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 G Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
16 G Team Extreme @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
2xSamsung 840 EVO 250G
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5
Other
Megatron
CPU
4770k
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Asus 780ti DC2OC
GPU
Asus 780ti DC2OC
RAM
8Gb patriot 1600mhz
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
16GB 1600 generic
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
50" samsung plasma 720p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
rluker5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM
Newb to Overclock.net
 
mouacyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,738
Rep: 164 (Unique: 122)
Quote: Originally Posted by junglechocolate View Post
I'd like to as well. Do my part to keep them afloat. I just don't know how it would impact 3D gaming. Its a bit different from standard gaming. Seen some reports of the implemenation requiring stronger performance per core. Which is where Intel beats them.

Also not sure about how well they work with VR for the future
VR has slowed to a crawl now. If 120Hz/eye devices with fov-eated rendering at 1440p+ were being announced, then I'd get excited and pin hopes on a good clocking hexacore coffee-lake. Going AMD for 4K allows you to allocate more of your funds toward the GPU, where it should be (except NVidia intercepted that.) Hopefully Vega VIII will be priced better.

CPU: Q6600 X5470 2100T 1680V2 9900K 5950HQ
GPU: 8800GT 9800GTX+ 750Ti 1080Ti
RAM: 2x8GBTZ
Gentoo64 in Water
(14 items)
LGA775 X5470
(6 items)
CPU
9900K 5GHz 1.224v
Motherboard
EVGA Z370 Micro
GPU
MSI 1080TI GXEK 2100.5/12627
RAM
16GB Trident Z 4000C16
Hard Drive
970 EVO 500GB
Power Supply
Seasonic X850 Gold
Cooling
480mm Radiator Custom
Case
Silverstone FT03
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Operating System
Gentoo Linux 64 Multi-Lib
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271UH 165Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
CPU
X5470 4GHz (stock v)
Motherboard
GA-EP45-UD3P
GPU
EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512MB
RAM
8GB 4x2GB GSkill 1066MHz DDR2
Cooling
XSPC Rasa, D5 + Res, 240mm Rad
Case
Lian-Li PC7-HX
▲ hide details ▲
mouacyk is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
junglechocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 313
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by rluker5 View Post
Try 1080p3d for a while. That will remove the chance the 1080ti is the bottleneck anywhere and expose the shortcomings of your cpu and probably monitor. Almost all monitor setups are lacking in crosstalk performance and 3d has an inherent shortcoming with depth of view that contrasts with 4k's strength of detail. Vr type setups and dlp are good for crosstalk, but the shallow depth of view kind of ruins a lot of the benefits of 4k. At least imo.
If you still think your setup for 4k3d is worth pursuing after a bit of the newness wears off, at least you will have a better idea of how much your cpu is holding you back in your uses.
Yeah so I'm on a C6 55" 4K passive 3D OLED. the crosstalk is actually good with movies. Games is where it veers off and i think its just invetable with games

As for 1080p3D. What tends to happen is that my CPU can't keep up. I know this because I have tried. Even at 1440p, Witcher 3 ultrad will dip in GPU usage. GTA V is the biggest issue because of some bug, it cuts CPU usage on 3D so it almost doesn't matter the resolution

Another thing to note, at 1080p, the games (at least Witcher 3) just doesn't look that sharp. I compromised at 3200 x 1800 to help with sharpness and get a little more usage from my GPU.

its a tricky situation. the 3D to me is worth it. but its stretching my 930 for sure.

i7 930 @ 3.8Ghz HT
Asrock X58 Extreme 3
Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti BE SC
Corsair RMS 750W
LG C6 4K 3D OLED 55", Potalion 1440p Korean IPS "glossy panel", Dell Ultrasharp U2515H
junglechocolate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
junglechocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 313
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
What is this depth of view thing you talk about?

My only issue with 3D games is that there is not enough "coming at you" as I'd like. Its still there and waaaaay much better than flat 2D

i7 930 @ 3.8Ghz HT
Asrock X58 Extreme 3
Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti BE SC
Corsair RMS 750W
LG C6 4K 3D OLED 55", Potalion 1440p Korean IPS "glossy panel", Dell Ultrasharp U2515H
junglechocolate is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:07 PM
Not a linux lobbyist
 
rluker5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,522
Rep: 42 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by junglechocolate View Post
Yeah so I'm on a C6 55" 4K passive 3D OLED. the crosstalk is actually good with movies. Games is where it veers off and i think its just invetable with games

As for 1080p3D. What tends to happen is that my CPU can't keep up. I know this because I have tried. Even at 1440p, Witcher 3 ultrad will dip in GPU usage. GTA V is the biggest issue because of some bug, it cuts CPU usage on 3D so it almost doesn't matter the resolution

Another thing to note, at 1080p, the games (at least Witcher 3) just doesn't look that sharp. I compromised at 3200 x 1800 to help with sharpness and get a little more usage from my GPU.

its a tricky situation. the 3D to me is worth it. but its stretching my 930 for sure.
Passive is better, but crosstalk isn't inevitable in games. VR doesn't have it, and dlp projection is pretty free of it as well, but dlp has to turn off and on very fast and the light is gone from the screen as soon as it bouces off : https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dlp2.htm But dlp projection has terrible blacks in most cases.

The Witcher 3 really does look a lot better at 4k. And the devs switched the physx to cpu after a few updates, but I heard there might be some ini type setting, or maybe a mod to get it back on your gpu. If you could do that it should help where there is a lot of candles/fires around. I played W3 for a while in 3d(at 1080p since the 3d on my VA 4k tv is trash) and I had to replay those parts.

That depth of view term is just some term I came up with to describe how you can't see near and far at the same time in 3d like a regular monitor. You have to change where your eyes focus and that takes time. Everything outside your depth of view is kind of cross eyed, just like real life. I turned the 3d up because I wanted more 3d and my depth of view was pretty shallow and the archers kept taking me by suprise. Then I'd look at them and Geralt would be out of focus and under attack. Maybe there is a better term for it, but that is one of the reasons I don't like 3d gaming. Serious Sam BFE vr kicks butt though.

And a Ryzen, like others have mentioned, sounds like a good upgrade path. If you get tired of 3d at 4k, or not, you can always use it for 4k60 and the 2000 series 6c12t should be a good buy for that.

L5
(19 items)
Lea2
(12 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5950hq
Motherboard
z97 Classified
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 G Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
16 G Team Extreme @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
2xSamsung 840 EVO 250G
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5
Other
Megatron
CPU
4770k
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Asus 780ti DC2OC
GPU
Asus 780ti DC2OC
RAM
8Gb patriot 1600mhz
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
16GB 1600 generic
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
50" samsung plasma 720p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
rluker5 is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:35 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Vici0us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 593
Rep: 20 (Unique: 15)
If you're near a Microcenter then you should take a look at their Ryzen CPU deals. 1700X going for $150 and 1600 going for $100 (was $80 the other day might still be $80). If you get a mobo that's another $30 off. You can't beat those prices and at 1440p & 4K it's all up to your GPU. You won't have any CPU bottleneck.

Rad_Force
(20 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700X 4.0GHz
Motherboard
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU
GTX 1070 (2.1GHz / 9.4GHz)
RAM
16GB DDR4 3600mhz CL18
Hard Drive
500GB SSD WD Blue 3D NAND
Hard Drive
1TB Western Digital Blue
Hard Drive
1TB Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
750W Rosewill Hive (Modular)
Cooling
CM MasterAir MA410P
Case
Thermaltake S71 Full Tower
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
Monitor
Ultrawide LG 25UM58-P 75HZ
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
SteelSeries QCK+
Audio
Eagle Arion ET-AR306-BK 2.1
Other
SADES SA903 7.1 Headset
Other
360 Wireless Controller
Other
EZDIY-FAB RGB RAM Heatsinks
Other
X4 CM Master Fan Pro 140, X2 Corsair AF120
▲ hide details ▲
Vici0us is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
junglechocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 313
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by rluker5 View Post
Passive is better, but crosstalk isn't inevitable in games. VR doesn't have it, and dlp projection is pretty free of it as well, but dlp has to turn off and on very fast and the light is gone from the screen as soon as it bouces off : https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dlp2.htm But dlp projection has terrible blacks in most cases.

The Witcher 3 really does look a lot better at 4k. And the devs switched the physx to cpu after a few updates, but I heard there might be some ini type setting, or maybe a mod to get it back on your gpu . If you could do that it should help where there is a lot of candles/fires around. I played W3 for a while in 3d(at 1080p since the 3d on my VA 4k tv is trash) and I had to replay those parts.

That depth of view term is just some term I came up with to describe how you can't see near and far at the same time in 3d like a regular monitor. You have to change where your eyes focus and that takes time. Everything outside your depth of view is kind of cross eyed, just like real life. I turned the 3d up because I wanted more 3d and my depth of view was pretty shallow and the archers kept taking me by suprise. Then I'd look at them and Geralt would be out of focus and under attack. Maybe there is a better term for it, but that is one of the reasons I don't like 3d gaming. Serious Sam BFE vr kicks butt though.

And a Ryzen, like others have mentioned, sounds like a good upgrade path. If you get tired of 3d at 4k, or not, you can always use it for 4k60 and the 2000 series 6c12t should be a good buy for that.
YEah thats where I see dips, that and night time.

Quote: Originally Posted by Vici0us View Post
If you're near a Microcenter then you should take a look at their Ryzen CPU deals. 1700X going for $150 and 1600 going for $100 (was $80 the other day might still be $80). If you get a mobo that's another $30 off. You can't beat those prices and at 1440p & 4K it's all up to your GPU. You won't have any CPU bottleneck.
What if you can pick up a 9900k for 247 or a 9700k for 190 or a 8700k for 183?

i7 930 @ 3.8Ghz HT
Asrock X58 Extreme 3
Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti BE SC
Corsair RMS 750W
LG C6 4K 3D OLED 55", Potalion 1440p Korean IPS "glossy panel", Dell Ultrasharp U2515H
junglechocolate is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:57 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 17,833
Rep: 848 (Unique: 620)
Quote: Originally Posted by junglechocolate View Post
YEah thats where I see dips, that and night time.



What if you can pick up a 9900k for 247 or a 9700k for 190 or a 8700k for 183?
Buy all of them and resell them. How much? . . . up to you.
rdr09 is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
junglechocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 313
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
Buy all of them and resell them. How much? . . . up to you.
Lol, we got a limit of 3 I think.

I was more asking that if Ryzen would still be better at those pricepoints

i7 930 @ 3.8Ghz HT
Asrock X58 Extreme 3
Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti BE SC
Corsair RMS 750W
LG C6 4K 3D OLED 55", Potalion 1440p Korean IPS "glossy panel", Dell Ultrasharp U2515H
junglechocolate is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:43 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli
 
The Pook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,473
Rep: 952 (Unique: 587)
I have yet to see any benchmark where the Ryzen 7 2700 beats the 9900K, so if you can get a 9900K for $240, then obviously that.

Keep in mind with a 2700 you'd be able to upgrade to the 3000 series without buying a new motherboard, and based on Intel's history in the past you'll likely need an new mobo for whatever they have planned next. I have a feeling the 7nm Ryzen chips are going to stomp all over Intel and I'm really excited to see them.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(7 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 4133
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Keyboard
Rii RKM709 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲


The Pook is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off