overclocking - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

overclocking

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
overclocking

Hi,

Having a go at overclocking the following system on X79 - Asus P9X79 PRO i7 3930K CPU - Kinston Hyper X 2400 Mhz RAM. The cooler is only a small-ish Noctura NH-L9x65 and I know a bigger air cooler is needed for better results and use

OK, I've got my head round the base clock & multiplier and tried out different CPU frequencies and saving a screen shot with some utility software such as Passmark and CPU-Z and I've added a CPU temperature APP as well but no screen shots with this.

Rather than putting all of the screen shots in I've included stock clocks and the 4.6 Ghz screen shot which shows a nice performance boost but temps were going high.

The RAM is only @ 1333 Mhz but I did try the "OC auto" in the BIOS which may have bumped the RAM to 1866 Mhz (I'm not sure I'll have another look)__Also I tried the XMP setting but the system crashed even @ stock clocks.

I do know the way around the BIOS sort of, the DRAM timings page looks complicated if they had to be altered manually - It would be great to be able to choose which RAM frequency is needed but more tweaks may be needed and some advice / pointers on how to do this.

The voltages (which I don't know much about are not touched at this point)__
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	passmark & CPU-Z 3930K @ 4.6 Ghz #2.png
Views:	21
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	260172  

Name:	passmark & CPU-Z 3930K @ 3.2 Ghz.png
Views:	14
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	260174  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

RAM 2400 Mhz

Hi,

OK, in the BIOS there are settings to run the RAM up to 3200 Mhz -I've managed to run @ 2133 Mhz with CPU-Z screen shot below. I did try at 2400 Mhz but the system messed up and light blue screen "crash" before boot up - This is where it gets more technical ! -
Attached Images

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi,

I've copied the screen shot in the BIOS of the voltages - If anything else is needed please mention - I'm keen to know more about this - then I'll put a bigger cooler on! - Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VOLTAGES bmp_result.png
Views:	5
Size:	537.0 KB
ID:	260186  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp VOLTAGES.BMP (2.25 MB, 5 views)

Last edited by fra z; 03-19-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'll have another post or two later on but in the meantime if some of the "clockers" here can chirp up and help to further the understanding then this should come on leaps and bounds......well sort of !

XMP mode crashed - but I thought XMP mode is needed for 2400 Mhz+

What are the best voltage settings / VCCSA (more knowledge needed here) etc....and anything relevant

Current RAM speed is 2133 Mhz > 2400 Mhz crashed****** >>>> and it would be good to getv 3200 Mhz (as it is shown in the BIOS)-Thanks

Last edited by fra z; 03-19-2019 at 11:47 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Which one are you actually trying to OC? The core, ram or cache? You really shouldn't be trying all three at once or you'll likely end up crashing and have no idea what went wrong.
Here's a place to start:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...rclockers.html

A bigger cooler isn't needed unless your thermals won't allow the voltage you need to reach the speed you need.
The core is the most important thing for 90% of uses so you need to get it clocked as high as you want and get it 100% stable before moving onto the cache or ram.
You could leave everything as-is and start with the ram but you need to make sure the core and cache are totally stable first. My prefered stress test is Prime95 v26.6, if you use a later date you'll need to disable AVX and the .txt file can revert it's self after crashing so I just use a version that never had it. For stressing just the core really quick run FFTs in place, enter 1344k in both boxes. Using that will allow you to quickly try a bunch of different speeds and voltages, once you can run it for about 15 minutes you're really close. At that point I use Small FFT and let it run for a few hours. I do pretty much the same thing for the cache so I like do do core then cache then get whatever ram speed I can get after that. For ram I just use Blend.

If anyone has some advice on DDR3 tweaking I'd also really like to know. Plugging in a speed with 1.65v and playing with the primary timings is easy enough but working on the rest of the timings has me a bit lost.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:42 AM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
Did you buy your ram in one kit? Is it a quad channel kit?

XMP is nothing special, it's just the term used to refer to the premade ram profile that tells your motherboard what settings to use for the ram. Try setting it manually meaning set it to the same setting XMP is supposed to use but just do it manually without enabling XMP. Often that works when XMP does not.

What is the model number of your ram kit?

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 03-20-2019 at 01:48 AM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hello White Owl!!! - Your question to me>>>>>!!!

Which one are you actually trying to OC? The core, ram or cache?

my answer = To start off with the OC was for the CPU - manual overclock, sync all cores and trying out the various clock speeds with 100 as BCLK and muliplier as 32, 34, >>>>>>>etc...... >> 4.6 Ghz and @ 4.8 Ghz the system crashed____

Then I was trying to get the RAM to work at higher frequency - 2400 Mhz RAM (standard clock I believe)__2133 mhz is achieved, so next would be trying to get 2400 Mhz then after this try it slightly higher.

As far as CACHE and overclocking the cache is concerned I know nothing about this -Thanks for the link to the other thread I'll read this later.

>>I made note of your Prime 95 26.6 - I'll get this if I can
>>Also you mention blend - do you mean BLENDER ???

>>And yes after studying RAM timings in BIOS I did see the Primary, Secondary and third timings so I know what you are referring to

So for overclocking I'm a novice !!! - but I've made a start, so to overclock the CPU and the RAM (cache overclock confuses me just now)_but after explanation I'll get the hang of it

And generally to know a little more

So far then I've overclocked to 4.6 Ghz but cooling isn't enough to maintain this -- I could dial back to 100 x 36 = all cores sync, turbo on, C1E=enabled C6=enabled - C3=disabled C7=disabled

But on 100 x 36 I think it would be stable - then it would be working to get the RAM more quickly --- but it won't work on 2400 Mhz (but I'll try again

and CACHE - I don't know this yet - thanks

Last edited by fra z; 03-20-2019 at 01:58 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:53 AM
Graphics Junkie

You should be happy if you can get 2133mhz. You are running quad channel ram, and 2400mhz tends to be the max for DDR3 so you are pushing it. QVL hardly ever matters for DDR3 but when you are doing quad channel ram at a high frequency (for DDR3) then it definitely matters. Your ram is not on the QVL because only 4 ram kits at 2400mhz are listed on the QVL for your motherboard and none of them are Kingston.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...683.1537398560

So in a nutshell, it's unlikely you can get to 2400mhz with that ram kit on that motherboard. If you do it definitely won't be with XMP.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
You should be happy if you can get 2133mhz. You are running quad channel ram, and 2400mhz tends to be the max for DDR3 so you are pushing it. QVL hardly ever matters for DDR3 but when you are doing quad channel ram at a high frequency (for DDR3) then it definitely matters. Your ram is not on the QVL because only 4 ram kits at 2400mhz are listed on the QVL for your motherboard and none of them are Kingston.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...683.1537398560

So in a nutshell, it's unlikely you can get to 2400mhz with that ram kit on that motherboard. If you do it definitely won't be with XMP.
Yes well the X79 board I've had a while this is the RAM (I think) https://www.komplett.se/product/825039#

So you are saying I should be happy with 2133 Mhz - but in the BIOS it lists up to 3200 Mhz - (if it isn't possible that's OK)_so for example I could call it a day if that is the maximum of 2133 Mhz DDR3 ? -

Last edited by fra z; 03-20-2019 at 02:04 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:54 AM
Graphics Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by fra z View Post
Yes well the X79 board I've had a while this is the RAM (I think) https://www.komplett.se/product/825039#

So you are saying I should be happy with 2133 Mhz - but in the BIOS it lists up to 3200 Mhz - (if it isn't possible that's OK)_so for example I could call it a day if that is the maximum of 2133 Mhz DDR3 ? -

Your motherboard lists 2400mhz as the max ram speed supported. Anything past that would be overclocking, but DDR3 ram doesn't overclock much and there is very little gain from it. I would say it's not worth trying to overclock the ram at all. Just stick with 2133mhz. 3200mhz is crazy, doubt anyone has ever gotten ram to run at that speed on this motherboard.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in