New Overclocker Here - Voltage Question! Help! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New Overclocker Here - Voltage Question! Help!

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
New Overclocker Here - Voltage Question! Help!

Thanks for reading this!

Setup is:
8700K OC to 4.8GHz @ 1.285v & LLC set to Turbo.
Gigabyte Aouros Z390 Gaming mobo
H100i-v2 AIO (stock Corsair paste)
32GB Gskill TridentZ
RTX2060

My question is regarding the difference between the "Core Voltage" in CPU-Z (showing 1.272v) & the PER-CORE "Core #X VID" displaying in HWiNFO (~1.336v). I don't understand why neither of them are at (under load) the 1.285v I set in BIOS & particularly why the values per core in HWiNFO are ABOVE what I set. I hope that makes sense?

I think the temps look pretty solid considering CPU-Z is hitting me with an AVX workload and I do not have it offset in BIOS.

I'm net at this, so any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

-B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CPUZ.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	260846  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HWiNFO.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	260848  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:22 PM
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 19 (Unique: 8)
VID is not a voltage. It's a value the CPU sends to the motherboard to "request" a voltage and that is used by the motherboard in auto, adaptive or offset voltage modes to determine what voltage the CPU wants right now. The CPU varies the VID value according to load. It's not used at all if you have a fixed, manual voltage set.

First choice for newer motherboards is to look at VR Vout (if your motherboard has that in HWiNFO64).

Second choice, look at VCore.

These last two are the actual CPU voltage being supplied. VR Vout is measured closer to the CPU package and will be more accurate if your board shows it (it's a relatively new measurement sensor).

You should think of a voltage you set in the BIOS as a "rough" knob, not an accurate knob. Turn it up a bit, then look at VR Vout/Vcore to see what voltage is actually being supplied to the CPU. Note that it will vary with load because of vdroop (the tendency for the voltage to droop a bit under higher current loads). vdroop is not entirely bad and some vdroop is required and good (it helps with voltage stability and trying to prevent any vdroop can cause voltage spikes when load suddenly changes), it's just something to understand. It can be partially controlled with the LLC setting in the BIOS. Do not pick the highest LLC setting (can cause voltage spikes).

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB OC with Corsair RMx 750W power supply
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
@jfriend00

Thank you so much!

I've been looking at VID in HWiNFO and assuming that was the actual voltage going through a particular core at a given time. Fortunately my board does have the VR Vout sensor so I'll be paying attention to that going forward.

Looks like I have more headroom than I thought!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in