8700k to 9700k or finish loop?
As the title states, looking for some opinions on swapping my 8700k for a 9700k before I go and buy a new block for lga115x and my R7, or if I should just go straight for finishing the loop and skip the CPU swap.
Currently my 8700k is not delidded, and basically its impossible to test an OC with the current air cooling config I have (likely to throttle with anything more than 1.25v). I would prefer not to go through the delidding process as I don't want to deal with potential mounting pressure issues, which is one of the two major advantages I see with a 9700k with stock solder (also hardware mitigations for security issues). Other primary questions/statements...
- Do the 9000 series cpus generally have better IMC's? (I do enjoy memory overclocking)
- Do the 9000 series typically require less voltage for similar frequencies? (haven't been able to find a good google doc with data like Ryzen CPUs).
- I'm primarily gaming and overclocking, with some benching here and there
- 9700k swap may give me time to put off building a loop (time I don't really have atm)
- I currently have everything I need for my loop excluding a cpu block and gpu block
ASUS CH8 WiFi
2x8GB DDR4 3200 c14 @ 3800 C16 1T
EVGA 750w G2
▲ hide details ▲