Messing with a 4790K - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Messing with a 4790K

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Messing with a 4790K

Hi, so I finally got around to messing with my old 4790K again over the last few weeks. I'd always planned on trying to get a decent OC out of it, but in a move, the computer wound up running as a media PC (Mainly because it was the quietest one we had) and now finally freed it from its media duties.

Previously, the best I ever seemed to manage was 4.4Ghz, no matter how many volts I threw at it. I could get into an OS, run a bench or 2, and then somewhere in the realm of an hour, it would halt. I didn't worry too much at the time, 4.4 was still better than the 4770K id replaced. But I was able to get that one to 4.3 stable, and was disappointed that I wasn't able to get this one beyond stock turbo speed.

Well, tonight, I pulled the chip, and lapped the IHS, reassembled, and did a little playing. Tonight, I was able to get 4.7 booted with 1.35v, but not stable with synthetics. So at the moment, im comfortable at 4.5, and 1.275V, but what could be holding me back from getting more. From some of what I've read, at 4.5, I should be stable down near 1.2V, and with 1.35, I should be able to do 4.8?

Temps are pretty good, about 60-65°C when at 4.7 and 1.35. Im running custom loop with 280mm rad. Temps were stable after 15 minutes, so cooling is not a problem.

Would a delid improve my chances, or just give me better thermal headroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 34)
I never managed to get mine stable at 4.7Ghz even with 1.35v
I just keep it at 4.6Ghz 1.28v
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:34 AM
Computer Arsonist

Rep: 89 (Unique: 75)
Personal experience with my 4770k says you probably wouldn't get much further but it is all dependent on the chip itself, better thermals is always good so I'd say give it a shot, putting some conductonaut under the lid makes quite the improvement to the temperatures.

Piledriver Reborn
(20 items)
CPU
Intel I7 4770k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Z97-P
GPU
Gigabyte RX 480 4GB (580 BIOS)
RAM
16Gb Corsair Vengeance PRO (4x4Gb) @ 2600Mhz
Hard Drive
Kingston A1000 M.2 NVME 240Gb
Hard Drive
Seagate Constellation ES 2TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Green 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair Modular RM650X
Cooling
Corsair ML RGB 120mm x3 With Lighting Node Pro
Cooling
Corsair H150i Pro
Case
Gamemax Onyx Tempered Glass RGB
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Samsung 27" Curved S27D590C
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse
Corsair Dark Core SE RGB
Mousepad
Corsair Polaris RGB
Audio
Corsair Void Pro Wireless 7.1
Audio
Blue Raspberry
Audio
Corsair ST100 RGB
Other
Ikea Corner Desk
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm thinking a de lid might be the go. Even after the lapping, I'm seeing a fairly 8°-10° temp difference from cores 1 & 2 to cores 0 & 3 (1 & 2 are usually within a degree or 2, 0 is usually about 6° lower, and core 3 consistently runs 10° lower.

Being that it's a long weekend, and nothing is open to be able to go and buy bits, I'm thinking that I might de lid, and just use some Noctua or arctic silver paste I have available to see if that works, I mean it cant be any worse than Intel's efforts lol.

Figure I might as well mess with this chip until a 9900K becomes an option for me.

Does anyone worry about Uncore ratio? One of my earlier successes, at 4.5, benched way better than the current 4.6 result I've had. I'm not sure, but I believe that I had a little more Uncore ratio in that attempt. But it doesn't matter what I do right now, as soon as I go above 4, it wont even boot, and if I put even .05v more in the ring, it doesn't seem to like that either. Ohwell, time to put the chip in my vice I recon.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:18 PM
Computer Arsonist

Rep: 89 (Unique: 75)
Personally I kept putting up the uncore until I stopped seeing a gain in Aida64 memory benchmark, my chip stopped gaining after 4.5ghz on the uncore even with more voltage.

Piledriver Reborn
(20 items)
CPU
Intel I7 4770k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Z97-P
GPU
Gigabyte RX 480 4GB (580 BIOS)
RAM
16Gb Corsair Vengeance PRO (4x4Gb) @ 2600Mhz
Hard Drive
Kingston A1000 M.2 NVME 240Gb
Hard Drive
Seagate Constellation ES 2TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Green 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair Modular RM650X
Cooling
Corsair ML RGB 120mm x3 With Lighting Node Pro
Cooling
Corsair H150i Pro
Case
Gamemax Onyx Tempered Glass RGB
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Samsung 27" Curved S27D590C
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse
Corsair Dark Core SE RGB
Mousepad
Corsair Polaris RGB
Audio
Corsair Void Pro Wireless 7.1
Audio
Blue Raspberry
Audio
Corsair ST100 RGB
Other
Ikea Corner Desk
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well, I'm now regretting not putting fill & drain points in my loop, such a pain is the A$$ every time I need to drain it. But the de lid went smooth. Just a cheap tiny little hobby vise, only just large enough to fit the chip, and it took very little pressure to pop the lid off. Once off, there was almost no TIM on the chip, it was all on the lid, so thinking that it definitely wouldn't have been making great contact being so baked up like that. I've just used a bit of Arctic for the moment, and the other thing I noticed, after the lap job, pulling the block off, almost lifted the whole machine, that thing had some surface tension going on, usually, it just came right off.

Running P95 at the moment, and so far the temps seem to be about 10 or so lower, so not a huge gain, but the cores are now a little closer to each other.

Now I might see if I can get any more out of it, I'd love to be able to get x47 24/7 stable.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
4790ks had a bunch of possible bins. Some could do 5ghz with 1.4v while others wouldn't pass 4.7ghz no matter what you used. Lowering temps helps but only up to a point...basically once you hit your wall that's it unless you cool a lot more and add gobs of vcore. Consider your self lucky if you can stabilize 4.7ghz with less than 1.4v. These chips hate going over 80c fyi

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well, at least this time, I'm able to boot at 4.7, with 1.290 vcore, and 1.9 input volts, I'm able to run Cinebench, and POV-Ray no problems, temps around 60 or so. p95 crashed, just going to put in .005v at a time until I can run p95 well. Would you rely on p95 results for determining 24/7 stability, or would you prefer an x264 test. Also, I'm still at 4.0 uncore, would it be worth trying to get any more out of that, and would I generally need to increase ring voltage to do so?

If I can get x47 to be stable, I'll settle for that as a 24/7, but still going to see if I can get more just for the heck of it, get a couple successful benches in, Validate, and then dial back to 4.7
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:50 PM
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 105 (Unique: 88)
Quote: Originally Posted by bilbs84 View Post
Well, at least this time, I'm able to boot at 4.7, with 1.290 vcore, and 1.9 input volts, I'm able to run Cinebench, and POV-Ray no problems, temps around 60 or so. p95 crashed, just going to put in .005v at a time until I can run p95 well. Would you rely on p95 results for determining 24/7 stability, or would you prefer an x264 test. Also, I'm still at 4.0 uncore, would it be worth trying to get any more out of that, and would I generally need to increase ring voltage to do so?

If I can get x47 to be stable, I'll settle for that as a 24/7, but still going to see if I can get more just for the heck of it, get a couple successful benches in, Validate, and then dial back to 4.7
X264 or Real Bench are better than p95 for stability testing imo. CPU input of 1.9 is not high at all, I've run over 2.0 before with no problem. I'd raise that as high as you are comfortable with, then get your multiplier and vcore stable, then start to lower your CPU input voltage.

x47 could very well be the max you get out of that chip, and going higher than 4.0 on the uncore is most likely not going to make any difference in performance.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm running x264 right now, ive got it set to 5 loops for a quick'n'dirty test, if that passes, I'll go to x48, then volt until I can get it to pass that again, and until volts & temp reach the ceiling, I'll see how high I can go. I'd love to get into the 5Ghz club, not sure how I'll go. Thinking that I might order some conductonaut for the die, and some kryonaut for the cool block. It's all learning I guess. Like I learned with my 4770, about being more careful when changing anything with the loop, that one cost me a chip AND a board.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in