what is the lowest volt you think for a stable 9700k at default 4.6 ghz all 8 cores, or small oc 4.8 ghz ? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

what is the lowest volt you think for a stable 9700k at default 4.6 ghz all 8 cores, or small oc 4.8 ghz ?

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
what is the lowest volt you think for a stable 9700k at default 4.6 ghz all 8 cores, or small oc 4.8 ghz ?

interested in how much volt the 9700k requires on average at the stock 4.6 ghz all 8 core turbo frequency? I know this can vary depending on cpu quality and motherboard volt settings/motherboard models etc , if i'm not mistaken? this would be with MCE off and multiplier set to 46-48, then lets say we can adjust the LLC and volt method like adaptive/auto/offset etc, what would be best way to get lowest and stable volt for 4.6 ghz all core turbo or small overclock to like 4.8 ghz max?

saw some users getting 4.8 ghz stable all cores at 1.2v for example, this is probably lucky, you think 1.2v for 4.6 ghz all 8 cores should be super easy and no problem? or can you go even lower?

btw I know the single core turbo is set at up to 4.9 ghz, this is irrelevant to me and i'm only interested in all 8 core load frequencies like gaming etc, aswell as other reasons I would like to keep the frequency at 4.6-4.8 ghz max, with as low volt as possible (case airflow/cooling not the best, the cpu cooler itself is also not the largest one to fit into the small case, etc)

appreciate any help and comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:25 PM
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 23 (Unique: 9)
Looks like same question posted here https://www.reddit.com/r/overclockin..._for_a_stable/ which I already provided an answer to there.

Some 9700k overclock results posted here, though nothing at the slower speeds you mention.

FYI, there's no way to "know" the answer to your question. You have to just try and see what test results you get. There's no description of your "not very good" cooler or "not very good airflow" that would give us any idea what it could handle. And, as you already know, chips vary from one to another.

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB OC with Corsair RMx 750W power supply
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case

Last edited by jfriend00; 04-20-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Set LLC so you get a tiny bit of vdroop under load, you need to be in manual mode to test this. Usually the Intel spec of 100% is somewhere in the middle but not always.

You can set voltage as low as you want just like any other CPU, just make sure it's stable. Unless you're thermally limited at a modest 1.25v ther's no reason to find the absolute lowest possible voltage a CPU will run a given speed at. The temp difference from dropping 0.002 is almost nothing, at such low voltage the load is more of a factor than tiny little vcore bumps.
The easiest way to max out what you can do with your cooling is to set the speed to x46 then gradually go up in vcore untill you've found the thermals under load you'd like. Then bump the speed and stress, repeat till you get a crash then back off.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...tatistics.html

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by jfriend00 View Post
Looks like same question posted here https://www.reddit.com/r/overclockin..._for_a_stable/ which I already provided an answer to there.

Some 9700k overclock results posted here, though nothing at the slower speeds you mention.

FYI, there's no way to "know" the answer to your question. You have to just try and see what test results you get. There's no description of your "not very good" cooler or "not very good airflow" that would give us any idea what it could handle. And, as you already know, chips vary from one to another.
indeed, and as I said the last time you replied to me on both boards, I usually do this to cross reference and get as many answers and feedback as possible, or just as quickly as possible

I replied to you on reddit aswell with my reasons of why i'm interested in this, and how i'm aware of the single clock turbo speed and a bit more info about case/airflow/budget reasons,

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Set LLC so you get a tiny bit of vdroop under load, you need to be in manual mode to test this. Usually the Intel spec of 100% is somewhere in the middle but not always.

You can set voltage as low as you want just like any other CPU, just make sure it's stable. Unless you're thermally limited at a modest 1.25v ther's no reason to find the absolute lowest possible voltage a CPU will run a given speed at. The temp difference from dropping 0.002 is almost nothing, at such low voltage the load is more of a factor than tiny little vcore bumps.
The easiest way to max out what you can do with your cooling is to set the speed to x46 then gradually go up in vcore untill you've found the thermals under load you'd like. Then bump the speed and stress, repeat till you get a crash then back off.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...tatistics.html
thanks! i've seen users running the stock 4.6 ghz across all cores at under 1.2v like 1.17 and so on, stable under p95, but anyway I believe I have some ballpark estimates now and a bit more info than previously,

the thermal headroom in my case will be limited under heavy loads on the 9700k even at stock speeds, atleast for the near future until I can make upgrades in other departments like case, airflow, and cpu cooler :S

cheers though
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
My guess is 1.15volts
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 43)
I would try what he says above ^^.

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 16)
I have mine at 1.165v for 4.6ghz all cores.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by R.D.BID View Post
I have mine at 1.165v for 4.6ghz all cores.

sounds good ! thanks for the info
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 526 (Unique: 297)
who knows, I set 1.42 @ 5.3 & called it a day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in