i9 9900k Help - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

i9 9900k Help

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
i9 9900k Help

Been trying my luck at this whole silicon lottery and idk if what I am doing is good or bad honestly. I am kind of new to this whole overclocking deal. I am on a custom water loop with two alphacool slim full copper rads 360mm, Ek d5 xres pump with 250 res, 6 thermaltake riing trio fans. Lian li dynamic. 32gb g skill trident z rgb 3200 (F4-3200C14D-32TZR), thermaltake irgbplus 850 gold, gigabyte aorus xtreme z390 mobo, gigabyte aorus xtreme waterforce 2080ti, 512gb samsung 970 pro, 1tb samsung 970 evo plus.

Memory is set at XMP profile 1 for 3200 at the moment. I do plan on overclocking the memory just trying to make sure CPU is set first. DRAM voltage is set to 1.5v.

CPU has been set to 5ghz.
4.7 uncore
tjmax 110c
enhanced multi core performance, intel speed shift, cpu enhanced halt, c3, c6/c7, c8, c10 state support, ring to core offset, race to halt, disabled, energy efficient turbo, voltage optimization - ALL disabled
CPU Vcore loadline calibration high
cpu Vcore 1.35
cpu vccio 1.2
cpu system agent voltage 1.2
avx offset 0
vtd disabled
internal graphics disabled

Okay when running Prime 95 on smallest, its stable*, can run small FFTs for an hour no crashing or anything. My only concern is that after an hour my average cpu package was 100c, max was 101. My core temps were all mostly average 90c with 2 & 4 being stinkers at 98c with maximum of 103, I watched it spike there for a couple of seconds then back down to 98. core voltage is 1.3v across the board damn near.

I dont exhibit those kinds of temperatures in ANYTHING else besides running small ffts on Prime 95. Prime blend doesnt leave the 60s. Cinebench r15 max core temp is 80. aida 64 averages dont leave the mid 70s and the max was 91 peak and cpu package 80. memtesthelper nothing leaves 59. Heaven nothing goes above the 40s. 15 min of real bench which was weird a couple of times cpu usage dropped to 99% on a few cores while AVX remains 100. Regardless temps were averaging 84 with a spike to 90 on core 2&4 < those guys always run hotter than all the rest. I ran the prime 95 test by themselves but the rest of the tests were run with this chrome tab open as well.

* Ill address the asterisk earlier when talking about prime 95 stability. I can get lower vcore but it will fail prime 95 at about 55 minutes on smallest. My overall concern is, are my temps too high? Should I opt for going for lower voltage and failing the prime 95 small before an hour, sometimes its right after an hour, and getting better temps and still passing absolutely everything else or is this my limit on the silicon lottery for full avx? I havent tried anything higher than 5ghz honestly. Is there anything I can do to improve what I am at now?

Last edited by poopsLIVE; 05-09-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 385 (Unique: 275)
Quote: Originally Posted by poopsLIVE View Post
Been trying my luck at this whole silicon lottery and idk if what I am doing is good or bad honestly. I am kind of new to this whole overclocking deal. I am on a custom water loop with two alphacool slim full copper rads 360mm, Ek d5 xres pump with 250 res, 6 thermaltake riing trio fans. Lian li dynamic. 32gb g skill trident z rgb 3200 (F4-3200C14D-32TZR), thermaltake irgbplus 850 gold, gigabyte aorus xtreme z390 mobo, gigabyte aorus xtreme waterforce 2080ti, 512gb samsung 970 pro, 1tb samsung 970 evo plus.

Memory is set at XMP profile 1 for 3200 at the moment. I do plan on overclocking the memory just trying to make sure CPU is set first. DRAM voltage is set to 1.5v.

CPU has been set to 5ghz.
4.7 uncore
tjmax 110c
enhanced multi core performance, intel speed shift, cpu enhanced halt, c3, c6/c7, c8, c10 state support, ring to core offset, race to halt, disabled, energy efficient turbo, voltage optimization - ALL disabled
CPU Vcore loadline calibration high
cpu Vcore 1.35
cpu vccio 1.2
cpu system agent voltage 1.2
avx offset 0
vtd disabled
internal graphics disabled

Okay when running Prime 95 on smallest, its stable*, can run small FFTs for an hour no crashing or anything. My only concern is that after an hour my average cpu package was 100c, max was 101. My core temps were all mostly average 90c with 2 & 4 being stinkers at 98c with maximum of 103, I watched it spike there for a couple of seconds then back down to 98. core voltage is 1.3v across the board damn near.

I dont exhibit those kinds of temperatures in ANYTHING else besides running small ffts on Prime 95. Prime blend doesnt leave the 60s. Cinebench r15 max core temp is 80. aida 64 averages dont leave the mid 70s and the max was 91 peak and cpu package 80. memtesthelper nothing leaves 59. Heaven nothing goes above the 40s. 15 min of real bench which was weird a couple of times cpu usage dropped to 99% on a few cores while AVX remains 100. Regardless temps were averaging 84 with a spike to 90 on core 2&4 < those guys always run hotter than all the rest. I ran the prime 95 test by themselves but the rest of the tests were run with this chrome tab open as well.

* Ill address the asterisk earlier when talking about prime 95 stability. I can get lower vcore but it will fail prime 95 at about 55 minutes on smallest. My overall concern is, are my temps too high? Should I opt for going for lower voltage and failing the prime 95 small before an hour, sometimes its right after an hour, and getting better temps and still passing absolutely everything else or is this my limit on the silicon lottery for full avx? I havent tried anything higher than 5ghz honestly. Is there anything I can do to improve what I am at now?
Why are you trying to pass prime95? What's the main purpose for your computer work? Which type of Prime test are you using?
The only people who should care about passing prime95 are masochists and people who do number crunching for a living.
If you're just a gamer, for example, passing Realbench 2.56 and Cinebench R20 (3600 second custom run) are far more important.
Prime95 small FFT AVX should be avoided unless you're using that as a heatsink/thermal paste measurement torture test tool, but if you're at lower clocks/voltages and can handle the temps, you can use that as a platinum standard. Small FFT FMA3 is only for people who enjoy self inflicted torture.

I do agree that small FFT with AVX disabled should be passable as the worst case stress test, however, but if you're reaching 100C, you should move on to more realistic things.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I'm not that familiar with 9900k.But your temps are higher than I would be comfortable with, Certainly considering your water cooling.

Think you may want to check cooling system and or consider a delid if you really want this OC.

Sustained 80's and spikes into the 90's I stop stress tests and address cooling.

What is vcore reported as in windows under stress?

XMP enabled I'd check your SA and IMC voltages as they are likely set way above what is needed for 3200.

"The electricity markets in the two most-populous states couldn’t be more different. California government heavily regulates electricity while Texas allows free market competition in most of the state.
Yet, Texas produces more than double the amount of wind, solar and other renewable electricity as California while California’s retail electric rates were 89 percent higher than Texas’ in 2017."
Forbes
Lighthugger
(8 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Hero-X
GPU
1080ti
RAM
F4-3200C14-8GRV
Cooling
Intel Raystorm pro
Cooling
D5
Cooling
HWLABS 560mm
Operating System
Win10
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by gammagoat; 05-09-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Why are you trying to pass prime95? What's the main purpose for your computer work? Which type of Prime test are you using?
The only people who should care about passing prime95 are masochists and people who do number crunching for a living.
If you're just a gamer, for example, passing Realbench 2.56 and Cinebench R20 (3600 second custom run) are far more important.
Prime95 small FFT AVX should be avoided unless you're using that as a heatsink/thermal paste measurement torture test tool, but if you're at lower clocks/voltages and can handle the temps, you can use that as a platinum standard. Small FFT FMA3 is only for people who enjoy self inflicted torture.

I do agree that small FFT with AVX disabled should be passable as the worst case stress test, however, but if you're reaching 100C, you should move on to more realistic things.

Ive just received like SO much conflicting information and tried researching this by myself. Went to reddit first, idk why lol, not much help. Then came here. I tried researching this on my own with a lot of googling and reading similar posts on a vast number of websites and there seems to be a solid line and a divide in all overclocking communities. "If it doesn't pass prime 95 smallest with no avx offset for X amount of time... it aint sh*%" and then you have the other half of people like yourself who say "Just pass aida 64 for an hour or run real bench for an hour and see what the temps are, lower the voltage, get it stable with those and dont use prime 95"

I am going to be using the rig for gaming and streaming and maybe a little video editing/rendering. I want to run it at the fastest stable ghz possible with zero AVX offset. OBS uses AVX and I hear there are some games that do. I will be transitioning between 1440p 165hz display and 4k 60hz display (I have two pg279q's and a 4k sony tv hooked up to the 2080) with the highest quality settings. Stream in the highest quality I get maintaining at least 60fps. So if I can drop the voltage, run prime 95 on small with AVX disabled for how long and real bench for how long? What is a normal amount of time that full avx instructions crashes on prime 95 small? Is it normal that realbench sometimes drops to 99.xxx% CPU usage and still passes? Do you think I have more headroom to run the CPU higher and faster? If I up the total Ghz and get it stable on just realbench and prime 95 small with avx off do you think there's a possibility I can run it at 5.2? Its a nice cooling setup, I mean even after running on prime for an hour, cpu gets to 35c idle in a couple seconds. Do you think I can run this memory at 3733? I just want the absolute most amount of my system maintaining stability for anything I can throw at it in my normal usage.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by gammagoat View Post
I'm not that familiar with 9900k.But your temps are higher than I would be comfortable with, Certainly considering your water cooling.

Think you may want to check cooling system and or consider a delid if you really want this OC.

Sustained 80's and spikes into the 90's I stop stress tests and address cooling.

What is vcore reported as in windows under stress?

XMP enabled I'd check your SA and IMC voltages as they are likely set way above what is needed for 3200.
so does prime 95 small with avx matter that much? with the usage i described? I can get it stable at much lower temps with NUMEROUS benchmarks and stress tests EXCEPT prime 95 smallest ffts with avx for anything much more than an hour. The ones with better temps that pass other stress tests vary from crashing instantly on prime 95 smallest full avx from a few seconds to an hour essentially. The one that passes just under an hour max core is in the 90s, the one that passes about 30 minutes is in 80s spikes into 90s on smallest ffts full avx. passes everything else with MUCH lower temps. This current set that I am running in original post passes real bench with your described temps now. If I lower it I can get WAY better temps than that.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 385 (Unique: 275)
Ive just received like SO much conflicting information and tried researching this by myself. Went to reddit first, idk why lol, not much help. Then came here. I tried researching this on my own with a lot of googling and reading similar posts on a vast number of websites and there seems to be a solid line and a divide in all overclocking communities. "If it doesn't pass prime 95 smallest with no avx offset for X amount of time... it aint sh*%" and then you have the other half of people like yourself who say "Just pass aida 64 for an hour or run real bench for an hour and see what the temps are, lower the voltage, get it stable with those and dont use prime 95"

I am going to be using the rig for gaming and streaming and maybe a little video editing/rendering. I want to run it at the fastest stable ghz possible with zero AVX offset. OBS uses AVX and I hear there are some games that do. I will be transitioning between 1440p 165hz display and 4k 60hz display (I have two pg279q's and a 4k sony tv hooked up to the 2080) with the highest quality settings. Stream in the highest quality I get maintaining at least 60fps. So if I can drop the voltage, run prime 95 on small with AVX disabled for how long and real bench for how long? What is a normal amount of time that full avx instructions crashes on prime 95 small? Is it normal that realbench sometimes drops to 99.xxx% CPU usage and still passes? Do you think I have more headroom to run the CPU higher and faster? If I up the total Ghz and get it stable on just realbench and prime 95 small with avx off do you think there's a possibility I can run it at 5.2? Its a nice cooling setup, I mean even after running on prime for an hour, cpu gets to 35c idle in a couple seconds. Do you think I can run this memory at 3733? I just want the absolute most amount of my system maintaining stability for anything I can throw at it in my normal usage.
The problem with Prime95 isn't passing it.
It's the temps and the vdroop.
Prime95 puts such a load on your CPU that the vdroop winds up dropping the "VCC_Sense" voltage (from high amps) down enough for you NOT to be stable in prime95. That's the main issue.
I do think that passing small FFT with AVX disabled is important. But for AVX enabled, you need a more real world test.

Just to let you know, a CPU that draws 160 amps is basically uncoolable on air unless it's delidded. And Prime95 with AVX small FFT can draw 180+ amps easily, so there's no reason to bother with trying to pass something like that. That's why using something like Realbench 2.56 is better and Cinebench R20, because both R20 and 2.56 use AVX (Cinebench R15 does NOT use AVX). So there you go.

AVX disabled prime95 is important to pass as that's your basic SSE2 instructions and the amps draw is nowhere near as high as AVX small FFT.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:09 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1096 (Unique: 634)

Depends entirely on how you use your system. If you render on your machine 24/7 and it never takes a break, then yeah, I wouldn't take anything less than ~24 hours of Prime95 as a metric of stability. Most people don't use their system that way so it's not really necessary.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Rii RKM709 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

so does prime 95 small with avx matter that much? with the usage i described? I can get it stable at much lower temps with NUMEROUS benchmarks and stress tests EXCEPT prime 95 smallest ffts with avx for anything much more than an hour. The ones with better temps that pass other stress tests vary from crashing instantly on prime 95 smallest full avx from a few seconds to an hour essentially. The one that passes just under an hour max core is in the 90s, the one that passes about 30 minutes is in 80s spikes into 90s on smallest ffts full avx. passes everything else with MUCH lower temps. This current set that I am running in original post passes real bench with your described temps now. If I lower it I can get WAY better temps than that.
I'm gonna give you the best I have, I chased AVX stability all the way to 1.5 vcore on my 8700k before I could pass P95 avx. I spent more time stability testing/temp watching to be sure it stayed stable, then I did using the damn computer for what I was OC'ing it for.

Sustained 80's and spikes into the 90's I stop stress tests and address cooling, Period. Same goes for day to day use.

"The electricity markets in the two most-populous states couldn’t be more different. California government heavily regulates electricity while Texas allows free market competition in most of the state.
Yet, Texas produces more than double the amount of wind, solar and other renewable electricity as California while California’s retail electric rates were 89 percent higher than Texas’ in 2017."
Forbes
Lighthugger
(8 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Hero-X
GPU
1080ti
RAM
F4-3200C14-8GRV
Cooling
Intel Raystorm pro
Cooling
D5
Cooling
HWLABS 560mm
Operating System
Win10
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I have it stable at 5.1ghz 1.34v outside of prime 95 small full avx. I did the small tests with avx turned off and hit 98c spike with it constant at 95 for 30 minutes. Ran a 30 min test on realbench. Hottest spike was 95 with it averaging 90. Cinebench R20 five score average was 5289.6 and never broke 85 on any single core. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility gave me a score of 3508.

I have kryonaut on it. You still think temps are the issue? Doesnt run anywhere close to that hot during things like heaven, valley, superposition, 3d mark time spy etc. most of the time sits in the 50s to low 60s unless its on the cpu test then hits about 80
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	268958  

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

I have it stable at 5.1ghz 1.34v outside of prime 95 small full avx. I did the small tests with avx turned off and hit 98c spike with it constant at 95 for 30 minutes. Ran a 30 min test on realbench. Hottest spike was 95 with it averaging 90. Cinebench R20 five score average was 5289.6 and never broke 85 on any single core. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility gave me a score of 3508.

I have kryonaut on it. You still think temps are the issue? Doesnt run anywhere close to that hot during things like heaven, valley, superposition, 3d mark time spy etc. most of the time sits in the 50s to low 60s unless its on the cpu test then hits about 80
You mentioned encoding earlier, why not try some H265 encoding as stress test. Seems this would be your most stressful use case.

Forbes
Lighthugger
(8 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Hero-X
GPU
1080ti
RAM
F4-3200C14-8GRV
Cooling
Intel Raystorm pro
Cooling
D5
Cooling
HWLABS 560mm
Operating System
Win10
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
9900k , Prime95 , stability , temperatures , test

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in