Xeon E5 1680 V2 - Page 9 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Xeon E5 1680 V2

post #81 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 03:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
The rampage IV formula has the same bug.
Board works perfect @2400MHz but in aida64 you will see significantly lower memory write speeds VS read speeds after a cold boot.

Most People wont even Know the bug is there since it doesnt effect stability.

That's why i'm Running my 1680v2 @4,4GHz and ram @ 2133MHz with tighter timing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 04:57 AM
Never Finished

Rep: 275 (Unique: 212)
Ah, you're right. Changing bclk to 125 fixed it for me. Lost about a gig on read, but it brought the write up by 22GBps. Now to see if this strap is stable lol.

Internet says it's the 36:3 ratio that causes mem write issues with X79.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cachemem2333.png
Views:	3
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	346442  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cachemem 2400.png
Views:	3
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	346444  

1680 V2 4.5GHz 1.33v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | Thermalright LGM RT
Logitech G600 | G440 | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Passive Preamp | Emotiva BasX A-100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | 51TB DAS | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW
post #83 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by tcclaviger View Post
Just a datapoint for the masses:
I've had this 1680v2 for a long time, its been flogged over 1.5 volts, seen 1.45v daily for a year, and generally abused quite heavily. It has been cooled well the whole time though.

It's just NOW starting to show signs of degrading. I had to back off from 4.6 to 4.5 daily @ 1.372v (after vdroop), to get stability. So thats like 4 or 5 years getting the balls beat off it and it dropped 100mhz.... lmao, amazing little monster.

Not a chance you'll get 4.5 with a 212. Think more like 4.3ish.

At 4.5 with my monster loop I see 60ish in prime95, but that's with liquid metal TIM, was near 70 with Kryonaut (mount was probably contributing tbh).

Temperatures don't matter much tbh, this chip is voltage limited not thermal limited. In the dead of winter with the water near freezing, it still takes 1.5v ish to get anywhere near 4.8.

LN2 isn't going to make the same difference as it does on some other chips, sure you'll get more, but it'll be limited by the whopping 25MB unified L3 on 1st generation 14nm.

Any X79 board (aside from the weird chinese crap produced recently) with a monoblock will handle a heavily OCd 1680v2. Without monoblock...I'd suggest keep package power around 160watts max.

The power phase thing, it's massively thrown around by people who understand the electronics often (thanks youtube) but don't actually understand what all that cool tech info translates to when pushing a chip to it's limits. Small story below on why you NEED to water cool the VRMs if you're going to load your octocore at 200 package watts for extended periods of time:

//story
I first bought a Rampage 4 Gene, going for a small form factor build when it came out. I threw in my 3960x ES and proceeded to take cracks at records at the time, sure enough, my 3960x ES was an absolute monster, scaling linearly up to 5.1 ghz!! Getting there though took a good chuck of vcore as one would expect, and drew a lot of power. Chip was water cooled and I was doing this in December, with window open, so room ambient was mid 40s f.

Hit it with a realtime priority intel burn test and.... smoke, sparks, and the magic smell. One of the MOSFETs had melted the solder under it and slid downwards on the board, it did autoprotect and immediately hard shutdown :O Like an idiot, I hit the power button to restart it after a minute of head scratching, sure enough, it still worked (lmao). Head straight to the ROG forums posted a picture and Shamino direct swapped my board out for one in his lab via DHL 2 day express, prepaid return provided. He wanted it to inspect and identify the failure mode, as it was one of the first sold in the US, and as far as I know the first pushed that hard, so I left all bios settings as they were and sent it to him to probe and prod.
//endstory

I have had 4 boards that would VRM throttle when pushed really hard and the VRMs were air cooled, every single one stopped doing it when I threw monoblocks on them instead of CPU only blocks. The old "monoblocks are for show" is 100% NOT true if you intend to actually flog your CPU, but, there are not many people out there who do, most people do some crazy OC get some scores and back way off to a middling OC for daily.

NOW: that was a lower power part than a 1680v2 when pushed to it's limits by a good bit. All these people buying ryzen boards, eschewing monoblocks and going with just CPU blocks, are blessed the Ryzen 1k/2k/3k are essentially tirds for OCing beyond what AMD has specced them to. The majority of the non-halo boards out there could not handle 200watt+ draws, air cooled, in a case for extended periods of time.
Hi, I reference the first part of your post and your own OC exploits - ! - I got a Corsair H150i - triple for a test bench - and did a test OC of 4.6 Ghz - @ 1.340_v_tested_in_P95_29.4 __temps reached_77_hottest_core_20k-points in passmark & 2550 single threaded [email protected]_1.110_v_rise_to_1.1 30_v_&_1.136_v_&[email protected]_4.3_Ghz__1.130_v_rise_to_1.150 _to_1.156_v__or in the region_of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mahigan View Post
It's a really good CPU. I now have it in my workstation and I have zero complaints. I did bring down the overclocks on it from 4.6GHz to 4.2GHz because I don't have a need for the super high clocks for the work I do but it has never let me down. I've had it under a custom water loop then went to a simple Cooler Master 212 LED with Dual fans and that keeps the temperatures under control since I didn't need a vCore bump to hit 4.2GHz.

I do recommend it.
snap_4.2_Ghz_with a Be_Quiet_Dark Rock Pro 4 _which is a little smaller than the Noctura D15 but still does really well - 4.2 Ghz can be used with EIST enabled to lower the clocks when full tilt is not used. 4.2 Ghz is a sensible 24/7 super reliable clock with temps under 60 c under full P95 stress - Awesome

4.2 Ghz__1.110_v__asus_x79_deluxe_MID 50'S TEMPS PRIME 95_ <<<< I didn't log all the temps @ 4.2 Ghz because they were so low

Last edited by fra z; 05-21-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in