9700k @ 5ghz on rog maximus xi hero voltage question - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

9700k @ 5ghz on rog maximus xi hero voltage question

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
9700k @ 5ghz on rog maximus xi hero voltage question

I've got it running fine at 5ghz just by simply changing the clock ratio to 50 on all cores and it's stable, i have best case scenario for svid in the bios and it idles fine at 0.6-0.75 v stress testing drops to around 1.27-1.29 and is fine bit normal voltage light loads the voltage is 1.32-1.35, why is light load voltage this high and how can i change it, adaptive voltage doesn't work I've tried all manner of settings, offsets and adaptive and get light load voltage to lower from 1.32-1.35, it's fine on manual fixed voltage but i don't want to use fixed voltage all the time, I've attached some screenshots, thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Can't attach screenshots for some reason it just flashes off when trying to attach?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 372 (Unique: 264)
Quote: Originally Posted by Adrian76 View Post
I've got it running fine at 5ghz just by simply changing the clock ratio to 50 on all cores and it's stable, i have best case scenario for svid in the bios and it idles fine at 0.6-0.75 v stress testing drops to around 1.27-1.29 and is fine bit normal voltage light loads the voltage is 1.32-1.35, why is light load voltage this high and how can i change it, adaptive voltage doesn't work I've tried all manner of settings, offsets and adaptive and get light load voltage to lower from 1.32-1.35, it's fine on manual fixed voltage but i don't want to use fixed voltage all the time, I've attached some screenshots, thanks in advance.
Because vdroop is lower at light load than at heavier load so your vcore will be higher.
Don't compare idle voltage with c-states with any load voltage.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Because vdroop is lower at light load than at heavier load so your vcore will be higher.
Don't compare idle voltage with c-states with any load voltage.
Ok so basically there's nothing that can other than use a manual voltage? Is 1.35 light load safe for long term use.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
You can try experimenting with load line calibration to find a more balanced setting. See if you can find any forum threads or guides for how to best use the load line settings for your specific motherboard.

Gaming
(8 items)
CPU
i3-9350KF @5.15GHz 1.33 VRVout
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI
GPU
Gigabyte 1660 Gaming OC @2100/4700MHz
RAM
16GB G.Skill Aegis 3000 cl16 @3230MHz 15-18-18
Hard Drive
Intel SSD 660p 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 600 BR
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by KinguBah View Post
You can try experimenting with load line calibration to find a more balanced setting. See if you can find any forum threads or guides for how to best use the load line settings for your specific motherboard.
Thank you, I did try a couple of modes 5 & 6 but didn't change the light load voltage, I'll try the rog forum again, it's been a complete nightmare trying to access that forum lately.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Setting LLC is for reducing the voltage drop (vdroop) you experience under high load. If you find a good setting that drops less under high load you could then reduce the voltage to get lower voltage at low load and remain stable.

EDIT: Looked back at the OP again, if using offset to reduce the voltage doesn't work, that seems very strange to me. Missed that part, sorry. Maybe some weird power-management setting or such? Intel XTU is nice for fiddling with the voltage offset in real-time to see what it does.

Gaming
(8 items)
CPU
i3-9350KF @5.15GHz 1.33 VRVout
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI
GPU
Gigabyte 1660 Gaming OC @2100/4700MHz
RAM
16GB G.Skill Aegis 3000 cl16 @3230MHz 15-18-18
Hard Drive
Intel SSD 660p 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 600 BR
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by KinguBah; 05-25-2019 at 10:06 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by KinguBah View Post
Setting LLC is for reducing the voltage drop (vdroop) you experience under high load. If you find a good setting that drops less under high load you could then reduce the voltage to get lower voltage at low load and remain stable.

EDIT: Looked back at the OP again, if using offset to reduce the voltage doesn't work, that seems very strange to me. Missed that part, sorry. Maybe some weird power-management setting or such? Intel XTU is nice for fiddling with the voltage offset in real-time to see what it does.
Thanks I'll try again with the bios if not I'll try the settings in intel xtu.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 372 (Unique: 264)
Thank you, I did try a couple of modes 5 & 6 but didn't change the light load voltage, I'll try the rog forum again, it's been a complete nightmare trying to access that forum lately.
Vdroop is mOhms * Amps.
Level 5 LLC is (estimated) 0.8 mOhms and level 6 is (estimated) 0.4 mOhms.
You pull 30 amps of current (very light load) at level 6 LLC, your vdroop is going to be 12mv (0.012v). Most voltage sensors show 12-16mv granularity anyway so that's not going to give you anything meaningful.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Vdroop is mOhms * Amps.
Level 5 LLC is (estimated) 0.8 mOhms and level 6 is (estimated) 0.4 mOhms.
You pull 30 amps of current (very light load) at level 6 LLC, your vdroop is going to be 12mv (0.012v). Most voltage sensors show 12-16mv granularity anyway so that's not going to give you anything meaningful.
Yes I've tried as low as LLC2 didn't make any difference at all, in fact no matter what I try light load score won't go any lower than 1.32 volts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in