8700k Voltages Stability OCing - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

8700k Voltages Stability OCing

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
8700k Voltages Stability OCing

I'm looking to get some help with my overclock, and some clarity on voltages using an Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard.

VCCPLL I have read is supposed to help OC stability? What exactly does this help/do. For example if I am borderline stable at a certain voltage of 1.32 vcore & would prefer not to go any higher, can I raise my VCCPLL voltage to get it to stabilize? if not, what's the real point of this voltage?
then, VCCPLL OC & VCC Sustained. I cannot find any information on these voltages other than people talking about how lowering VCCPLL OC "lowers temp" but then state it throws off the sensors.

If I can get some clear answers on VCCPLL, VCCPLL Sustained, & VCCPLL OC this would help a lot. Along with safe maximum voltages for 8700k, mainly I'm looking for what will help stability for above said example. Then there's RING OC etc.. that's another topic I can't find info on other than just try it and see.

I have been digging around and found VCCSA & VCCIO info reasonably, so those make more sense now (a little more refined answers would be nice if you have a good one?) Appreciate your time!

System Spec: 8700k, 32gb 2666mhz ddr4, Aorus Gaming 7, 850w G PSU, Vega 64, 1tb ssd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 377 (Unique: 269)
VCCPLL and PLL OC have something to do with stabilizing very high frequencies on subzero cooling. PLL is phased lock loop which is for the clock. It doesn't exactly help with instruction registers getting corrupted because your temps are too high or vcore too low for the cores or L1/L2 caches to run stable.

Lowering PLL OC voltage does absolutely nothing to improve stability even if some of the sensors report lower temps or get thrown off, it doesn't do a thing. Not sure if real temps are actually lowered or not--if the entire core is a tiny bit cooler, maybe only 1 or 2C max.
Going too low on PLL OC voltage will cause you to BSOD with a clock watchdog timeout at load (usually this is below 1.10v). Going even lower than this (although PLL OC voltage must be higher than VCCPLL) will stop the system from even booting. VCCPLL can go down to 0.9v, but unknown if this actually drops the core temps any or has some strange drawback. VCC Sustained (misspelled as Substained) is for some sort of standby voltage.
CPU Core PLL Overvoltage +mv was apparently able to improve overclocking slightly on some engineering samples (no information on whether this was on air or not). No effect on air at all on retail chips. But usually these +mv settings are used for high BCLK speeds. System agent +mv always makes things worse. Increasing both core and ring PLL +mv at the same time will just give you a clock watchdog timeout.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
VCCPLL and PLL OC have something to do with stabilizing very high frequencies on subzero cooling. PLL is phased lock loop which is for the clock. It doesn't exactly help with instruction registers getting corrupted because your temps are too high or vcore too low for the cores or L1/L2 caches to run stable.

Lowering PLL OC voltage does absolutely nothing to improve stability even if some of the sensors report lower temps or get thrown off, it doesn't do a thing. Not sure if real temps are actually lowered or not--if the entire core is a tiny bit cooler, maybe only 1 or 2C max.
Going too low on PLL OC voltage will cause you to BSOD with a clock watchdog timeout at load (usually this is below 1.10v). Going even lower than this (although PLL OC voltage must be higher than VCCPLL) will stop the system from even booting. VCCPLL can go down to 0.9v, but unknown if this actually drops the core temps any or has some strange drawback. VCC Sustained (misspelled as Substained) is for some sort of standby voltage.
CPU Core PLL Overvoltage +mv was apparently able to improve overclocking slightly on some engineering samples (no information on whether this was on air or not). No effect on air at all on retail chips. But usually these +mv settings are used for high BCLK speeds. System agent +mv always makes things worse. Increasing both core and ring PLL +mv at the same time will just give you a clock watchdog timeout.
So if I gather correctly, raising VCCPLL voltage with not help with introducing a more stable system? my Vcore is at 1.32, 4.9Ghz, VCCPLL set to 1.060 but the system isn't quite stable. Since I have a lot more headroom in VCCPLL I figured it may help with stabilizing. Is this not the case & should I just lower this setting to the lowest voltage allowed for stability? I know there is headroom in Vcore as well, But I would like to use other voltages that I can to get her stable where she is at Vcore now, so I will have more headroom available for pushing 5.0 in hopes of more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 10)
Quote: Originally Posted by RedBlueHue4 View Post
So if I gather correctly, raising VCCPLL voltage with not help with introducing a more stable system? my Vcore is at 1.32, 4.9Ghz, VCCPLL set to 1.060 but the system isn't quite stable. Since I have a lot more headroom in VCCPLL I figured it may help with stabilizing. Is this not the case & should I just lower this setting to the lowest voltage allowed for stability? I know there is headroom in Vcore as well, But I would like to use other voltages that I can to get her stable where she is at Vcore now, so I will have more headroom available for pushing 5.0 in hopes of more.
What you are doing to check stability? Personally i have cronic issues with p95 AVX, since 6700K i cant manage to beat it, but im a lazy man and i eventually rest when i can pass several hours of realbench.
My current 8700K is doing 5ghz under noctua dh-15 and 1,34v. I never had stability issues, apart from p95.

If i had to tell you, you would probably get a performance uplift if you could increase ram frequency, but since you use 32gb, it could be a bit pricey to get a 3400/3600 set of 32gb.

VCCPLL and PLL OC will not help you, at least with the kind of OC you are pursing. You probably need to increase vcore, you have still headroom, i would bet 1,35-,1,37 is safe as long as you can keep temps stable.

VCCSA (system agent) is related to BCLK & VCCIO is related to memory controller stability. Since you are running 2666 kits, you dont really need to change this, you are basically running memory as JEDEC specs.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...tually-do.html

RING is actually your CPU cache, and your cache frequency and voltage. Usually i keep RING around 4.5 - 4.6 ghz; its been tested extensively around here, and on skylake arch (the same that is base for kaby and coffee lake), performance gain is barely noticiable, while you will increase temps trying to match RING to CPU frequency/multiplier.

https://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/s...ith-statistics

There is also some discussion around here, about how much temperature increase can require more voltage to bring a cpu to stability; having dellied all my recent non soldered cpus, i can say its much easier to reach a stable working voltage than doing it without. Plus, for 5ghz+ frequencies, unless you have some golden sample, its really hard to tame temps without delliding, intel TIM/Glue really cant transfer temperatures fast enough.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 10)
Quote: Originally Posted by RedBlueHue4 View Post
I would recommend you to keep VCCPLL on auto. Going under can get you weird and unexpected results. You should try to raise some milvolts on vcore to try to stabilize it. 1.35 isnt that far and it may (or may not) stabilize your frequency. 0,03v will not raise your temps to absurd levels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in