Is it time to upgrade my i5 3570k? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Is it time to upgrade my i5 3570k?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Bold for emphasis. That shouldn't be happening, a 3570K should be able to play YouTube videos just fine, at the very least at 1080p. Your GTX 1060 should be offloading the decoding of the videos anyway. Try updating your GPU drivers to the latest version (do a clean install), along with the suggestions presented by the others members above.

A 4C/4T CPU will be a limiting factor in gaming at this time though. If you could find an extra cheap 3770K, that would be a worthy consideration, but I'd only do it if I could find some extra cheap 1866 / 2133 Mhz DDR3 RAM to go with it, which brings me to your second problem: while you do have a good amount of RAM, it's a bit slow, at 1333 Mhz. Your CPU's IMC is rated for 1600 Mhz and it can easily do 1866 Mhz or more. However, all things considered, I wouldn't recommend upgrading that or the CPU at this point in time. That low RAM speed will be a factor in your framerates though, especially minimum fps. As I said though, it's hard to make such a recommendation at this point, unless you get a really good deal for both CPU and RAM.

I'd advise you to wait until Zen 2 is released early next month. Even a $199 6C/12T Ryzen 5 3600 paired with a budget B450 motherboard and some 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4 RAM will be a massive upgrade from your current system.
As soon as I saw simple things like youtube videos messing up I knew something was wrong. I did hear that when Zen 2 comes out the price of processors should drop so I'll probably wait till then to purchase a current gen processor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in