Yes, I'm actually going to ask about an i7 920 in 2019 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Yes, I'm actually going to ask about an i7 920 in 2019

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 347 (Unique: 285)
Yes, I'm actually going to ask about an i7 920 in 2019

Hey all!

I've had my trusty D0 920 for about 10 years now (wow time flies!), and recently I've been having trouble keeping my OC at 4ghz with HT on like I have been doing for years on a Rampage II Extreme. With this in mind, I have several questions:

- My stock voltage is a super-low 1.18v. I was able to get to 3.8ghz HT-on at 1.20v and 4ghz with HT-on at 1.22v for years, but now my 4ghz OC is failing even at 1.26v with HT-on. Is this just obvious chip degredation, or do you think my IHS has possibly just become separated a bit and I would be able to go back to my old voltages with a delidding?

-I was running a Prolimatech Megahalems for years, but it doesn't fit in my case so I got a Corsair H150i. My temps on the Megahalems were rising for years and I thought maybe I hit the limit of the heatsink, but I am getting the same temps on my H150i. Again, I'm thinking a delidding might help this (P95 small FFT temps are up around 80c at load now, 4ghz HT-on). This also seems WAY too high for my voltage, unless all the temps I'm seeing reported online are with HT off, in which case this would make sense.

- If I turned HT off in order to lower my voltage and heat output, would I really see much of a hit in performance? I do a gazillion different things on this computer from gaming to encoding video, so I definitely use all the threads at least part of the time. Would 3.6-3.8ghz HT-on perform better in general than 4ghz HT-off?

Thanks in advance everyone! I'm sad my little trooper is slowing down in his old age, but I'm hopeful he can be revived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainok go_quote.gif
Then, once the Maclovers feel safe and come out of hiding, we strike. Take their Macs, throw them into a huge pile, and burn them. Burn them into ash. Then put an Apple logo on that ash, and sell it back to them for $400 an ounce.
We'll be filthy rich.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:04 PM
Missing the Old days

Rep: 251 (Unique: 217)
EDIT: its soldered... my bad

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
Folding Rack
(9 items)
Work Folder
(7 items)
CPU
AMD r7 2700x
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Nvidia Titan X Pascal
RAM
PNY Anarchy-X 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
256GB Plextor M8Pe m.2
Power Supply
Corsair RM750X
Case
big metal box
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 x64
Monitor
DELL S2716DG
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G602
Mouse
Steelseries Mat
Audio
Logitech G602
Other
steam controller
CPU
AMD r7 1700x
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP!
RAM
Geil EVO 1x4GB DDR4
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB
Power Supply
Silverstone ST-1000PT
Case
4U Rosewill
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04LTS
Monitor
Headless
CPU
AMD FX8350
Motherboard
BIOStar TA970
GPU
AMD FURY X
GPU
Zotac GTX 960
RAM
Gskill 2x8GB DDR3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair 650w
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Cerberus; 07-19-2019 at 06:13 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
i7 920 is soldered, I would be surprised if delidding and going LM is going to help a lot. If the chip sat OC'ed for years it could just be worn out.

Core i9 9900K @ 5.2 || EVGA Z390 DARK || 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 4600 C18 @ 4266 C17 || GPU: EVGA Kingpin RTX2080Ti @ 2130MHz || Samsung 970PRO 1TB + 860EVO 2TB || Lian Li O11 Dynamic White || Corsair AX1600i || Screen: LG B8 OLED 55 and LG 34GK950F
Corsair H150i PRO + Noctua NF-A12x25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Da Boss

Rep: 145 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by slothfish View Post
Hey all!

I've had my trusty D0 920 for about 10 years now (wow time flies!), and recently I've been having trouble keeping my OC at 4ghz with HT on like I have been doing for years on a Rampage II Extreme. With this in mind, I have several questions:

1-My stock voltage is a super-low 1.18v. I was able to get to 3.8ghz HT-on at 1.20v and 4ghz with HT-on at 1.22v for years, but now my 4ghz OC is failing even at 1.26v with HT-on. Is this just obvious chip degredation, or do you think my IHS has possibly just become separated a bit and I would be able to go back to my old voltages with a delidding?

2-I was running a Prolimatech Megahalems for years, but it doesn't fit in my case so I got a Corsair H150i. My temps on the Megahalems were rising for years and I thought maybe I hit the limit of the heatsink, but I am getting the same temps on my H150i. Again, I'm thinking a delidding might help this (P95 small FFT temps are up around 80c at load now, 4ghz HT-on). This also seems WAY too high for my voltage, unless all the temps I'm seeing reported online are with HT off, in which case this would make sense.

3- If I turned HT off in order to lower my voltage and heat output, would I really see much of a hit in performance? I do a gazillion different things on this computer from gaming to encoding video, so I definitely use all the threads at least part of the time. Would 3.6-3.8ghz HT-on perform better in general than 4ghz HT-off?

Thanks in advance everyone! I'm sad my little trooper is slowing down in his old age, but I'm hopeful he can be revived!
I've added numbers to your question and will label my answers accordingly.

1. Can't delid. It's soldered on. It can take quite a lot of heat to melt it so your gucci on that front. This is a clear example of chip degredation. Running past stock clock and voltages will do this.

2.Again, degredation. Sorry friend but your chip is getting close to the end. If you want to prolong, you will need to either back off on the voltage/clocks or get into some serious sub zero cooling.

3. Lots of reviews out there show that a slightly lower clock with HT is better than HT off at higher clocks. You may see some gains with higher clock/HT off, but you also have to remember that the extra threads will help with secondary/background tasks.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:50 PM
Expert pin bender

Rep: 152 (Unique: 91)
Not sure if you are aware of this, but X58 still has some life to give if you throw a Xeon 6 core cpu for dirt cheap in it. some x58 boards require a hardware mod. I think yours though may not, may only need to update to latest bios even if at all.

You can get a xeon x5650 for literally less than 10$ on ebay. There are other options in the same family range. they overclock really nicely also. I personally would go for like an x5675 as they usually are binned better then the lower models. Those are roughly 30 or so dollars. Best bang for buck would be like an x5650 because like the 920 D0 all the xeons will easily overclock past 4ghz. The issue only becomes multiplier depending on your range of OC you want.

there is an x58 thread dedicated to this very thing in fact i think 2 long time threads still going. also check out TechYesCity on youtube he has many videos about it as well.

Just throwing it out there for a mere ~10 dollars or so you can get 6 cores/12t @ 4ghz or more with ease. The biggest hurdle is if you need any mods done to the mainboard or bios updates.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-in...ks-inside.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-in...xeon-club.html

GPU i currently own: 390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/RX 580 - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post
Not sure if you are aware of this, but X58 still has some life to give if you throw a Xeon 6 core cpu for dirt cheap in it. some x58 boards require a hardware mod. I think yours though may not, may only need to update to latest bios even if at all.

You can get a xeon x5650 for literally less than 10$ on ebay. There are other options in the same family range. they overclock really nicely also. I personally would go for like an x5675 as they usually are binned better then the lower models. Those are roughly 30 or so dollars. Best bang for buck would be like an x5650 because like the 920 D0 all the xeons will easily overclock past 4ghz. The issue only becomes multiplier depending on your range of OC you want.

there is an x58 thread dedicated to this very thing in fact i think 2 long time threads still going. also check out TechYesCity on youtube he has many videos about it as well.

Just throwing it out there for a mere ~10 dollars or so you can get 6 cores/12t @ 4ghz or more with ease. The biggest hurdle is if you need any mods done to the mainboard or bios updates.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-in...ks-inside.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-in...xeon-club.html

Amazing! Just bought an X5680 for $40. From what I've read so far, my mobo should support it without any mods.

Seriously thank you all. Can you tell I've been gone a while?

Quote:
Then, once the Maclovers feel safe and come out of hiding, we strike. Take their Macs, throw them into a huge pile, and burn them. Burn them into ash. Then put an Apple logo on that ash, and sell it back to them for $400 an ounce.
We'll be filthy rich.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well, I turned HT off just to see how things would go, and I've been running P95 small FFTs for about an hour now with my highest core temp reaching 69C max, but hanging out around 63-65C most of the time. That's nuts, I didn't expect so much of a difference. I would reach 80C+ within seconds with HT turned on.

I'm going to run this for a week while I wait for my "new" Xeon, maybe try pushing it to 4.2 or 4.4 with HT off. I feel like if I just had HT off all this time I could have been overclocking it way higher.

Thanks again guys!

Edit: I just accidentally launched Final Fantasy 15 4k pack while running Prime 95 @4GHz and it didnt skip a beat. Nuts! I noticed was a little audio stuttering in the main menu, but otherwise the computer didnt seem to slow down much at all. Color me impressed!

Quote:
We'll be filthy rich.

Last edited by slothfish; 07-19-2019 at 09:00 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:59 PM
Professional Proletariat

Rep: 478 (Unique: 192)
Damn and I felt old with my 4930K lol. If you ever desire more performance, I'll gladly sell you my setup when I finally upgrade to something more modern lol.

Sorry for the OT, carry on.

- 4930K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus X79-Deluxe
- MSi 980 Ti Gaming @ 1500/8000
- 4x4 GB Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz
- 2x 850 Pro 2TB
- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850W
- Phanteks Enthoo Primo
- Custom watercooling (420+360+240)
- XB270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:57 PM
Expert pin bender

Rep: 152 (Unique: 91)
Well, I turned HT off just to see how things would go, and I've been running P95 small FFTs for about an hour now with my highest core temp reaching 69C max, but hanging out around 63-65C most of the time. That's nuts, I didn't expect so much of a difference. I would reach 80C+ within seconds with HT turned on.

I'm going to run this for a week while I wait for my "new" Xeon, maybe try pushing it to 4.2 or 4.4 with HT off. I feel like if I just had HT off all this time I could have been overclocking it way higher.

Thanks again guys!

Edit: I just accidentally launched Final Fantasy 15 4k pack while running Prime 95 @4GHz and it didn't skip a beat. Nuts! I noticed was a little audio stuttering in the main menu, but otherwise the computer didn't seem to slow down much at all. Color me impressed!
Congratulations on the Xeon, hopefully it will just drop in and rock on. The overclocking is slightly different than your i7 920D0 but not by much. The xeon will or can use less voltage and run cooler depending on how hard you push it. I still have 2 xeon setups from this era and i love them.

If i recall the audio stuttering is something you will get when your pushing the bclk to near the limit of stability. i have a i7 930 sitting on my desk as well lol. I don't think it will ever be used again but i don't throw away my old cpus hah.

GPU i currently own: 390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/RX 580 - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Hey all!

- My stock voltage is a super-low 1.18v. I was able to get to 3.8ghz HT-on at 1.20v and 4ghz with HT-on at 1.22v for years, but now my 4ghz OC is failing even at 1.26v with HT-on. Is this just obvious chip degredation, or do you think my IHS has possibly just become separated a bit and I would be able to go back to my old voltages with a delidding?

-I was running a Prolimatech Megahalems for years, but it doesn't fit in my case so I got a Corsair H150i. My temps on the Megahalems were rising for years and I thought maybe I hit the limit of the heatsink, but I am getting the same temps on my H150i. Again, I'm thinking a delidding might help this (P95 small FFT temps are up around 80c at load now, 4ghz HT-on). This also seems WAY too high for my voltage, unless all the temps I'm seeing reported online are with HT off, in which case this would make sense.

- If I turned HT off in order to lower my voltage and heat output, would I really see much of a hit in performance? I do a gazillion different things on this computer from gaming to encoding video, so I definitely use all the threads at least part of the time. Would 3.6-3.8ghz HT-on perform better in general than 4ghz HT-off?

I unfortunately just had a very similar situation happen with an i7-6850k that I recently Purchased. The Guy had been running his OC Stable for years at 4.5Ghz with 1.3v and 3000Mhz DDR4. And as of a few weeks before I ended up with the platform for incredibly cheap, it started blue screening like crazy. He had to bring his OC down to 4.2Ghz to keep it stable at 1.35v, this was on the same h150i that you are using, and he had to drop the Quad Channel Ram down to the JDECC Speed of 2133Mhz or it wouldn't even post. Furthermore even at 2133Mhz it would only read 4 of the 8 4GB Sticks of Ram, no matter what he did he could only get Dual Channel to boot.

So he ended up trying all different manners of things with his limited knowledge, and long story short ended up both bending the pins in his socket, AND Corrupting the Boards CMOS, making it completely unusable for him. Because of this, he was just trying to sell it to get something towards a new Ryzen Build. I offered $200 thinking there was no way he would say yes, and he countered with $250 and I bought it. I have years of experience fixing Bent Pins in LGA Sockets, so after a few hours of very Intricate work I was able to fix that issue. Next I pulled the CMOS Chip out and stuck it in my EPROM Reader and succesfully flashed a fresh new UEFI on it. Stuck in just 4 Ram Modules and it booted right up in Quad Channel Mode.

But to make a long story short, after extensive testing, I found that the Memory Controller had degraded, making 8 DIMM Quad Channel impossible at any Speed, 4 DIMM Quad Channel was still possible at 3000Mhz but required 1.2v SA Voltage which is WAY HIGHER than I would ever normally run. And to top it off the CPU could still run a 4.5Ghz All Core OC, but needed 1.45v to do it, which would end up with TEMPs Close to throttle Territory, even when just doing a CB15 run.

I have seen it many times before, and in both your case and mine this is what CPU Degradation looks like and will only continue to happen if the CPU's Continue to be pushed to its limit. In these cases if you intend to continue to use your CPU you can either Raise your Voltage to get back to where you were and hopefully get another Year out of your platform (while continuing to raise Voltage every few months to compensate for the loss of stability). Or if you want it to last another few years or more you should Lower the Voltage by about .1V and then find your Highest all Core OC at that point. This should reduce the heatload on your CPU and therefore slow down the rate of degradation. When doing this in the past I have gotten a CPU that was on its last Leg to last in its Server home for almost 4 More Years before I finally replaced it. This is by no means a guarantee, each architecture is different, and even each Individual CPU reacts differently, but you definitely will have the most luck if you reduce the heat load, and reduce any high LLC settings you may have had.

Also, others in this thread have recommended X58 Xeons, that is another excellent way to extend the life of your platform, just remember these CPUs have often been running for just as long as yours has, in fact its likely that they have been running non stop for their entire life. But because they were most likely in actual servers, they likely were not pushed to their maximum, so you can slot it in an x58 mobo and really push it, in some cases past your original i7 part. Just also remember once you find your Maximum OC of that part, if you want it to last for another 3 to 5 years, its best to back off your Core Voltage to around 1.25v or so and then find your highest All Core OC there, then you will have much more manageable Heat, which will allow your build to purr along for years to come. If you don't really care and just want to push it to the max, then you can really get some high performance out of the part, just beware of the degradation and have another Chip on Stand by in the event that this one finally gives out.

Anyways, hope that helps.

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 2 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by oreonutz; 07-20-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in