9900k Direct Die Overclock Help Needed - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

9900k Direct Die Overclock Help Needed

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
9900k Direct Die Overclock Help Needed

I need some help guys. I have seen a lot better results than what I am getting and I am not sure if its a bad mount, too little liquid metal, somethings too tight, not changing the correct settings, lost the silicon lottery or what and maybe you guys can help me. I am having some temperature and stability issues especially running prime 95 small ffts with AVX.

• 9900k @ 5.3ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus z390 XTREME (F7 Bios)
  • EK Velocity CPU Block
  • EK X Res Pump w/250 reservoir
  • All EK PETG Tubing & Fittings
  • Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce Extreme 2080ti
  • x2 Alphacool Slim 360 Copper Rads
  • x6 Thermaltake Riing Trio Fans
  • Thermaltake irgb Plus 850w gold PSU
  • Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic
  • 512gb Samsung 970 Pro m.2 (Boot)
  • 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus m.2 (Storage)
  • 16gb x2 G Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 Memory (F4-3200C14D-32GTZR) 14-14-14-34 1.35v

Here is a link to my work on the removal of the solder and using Fitz polish https://flic.kr/p/2gXQHxF

I used Der8auer's delidding tool and also the OC Frame.

So as it stands right now. Idle temps are right at about 33C ambient is 23C. Idle Core Voltage is at 1.296v. VID is 1.31v. When I start up Cinebench r20 the 2 hottest cores hit 90c with the core voltage hitting 1.47v and VID bouncing between 1.3 and 1.29. Its kind of concerning how high the voltage reaches will complete with a 5456 score. Now in OCCT I let it run for about 10 min and I had a whea error and I shut it down which I know means the OC is not stable and needs further work. Realbench will hit 94c after about 2 minutes of stress testing. Prime 95 with AVX small ffts will crash immediately and temps are over 100c. Prime 95 small ffts NO AVX my max temps are 90c after a few minutes. Core voltage there is hitting 1.416v.

I pretty much used this guide at first https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/...le/525/946.pdf and temps were just really wild with manually setting VCORE to 1.39, turbo loadline and following the rest of the instructions.

I have the xmp profile activated but manually put in my timings and set dram to 1.35.

I am including all of my bios screenshots and hopefully someone can help me out as to what is going wrong. I have see a few 5.5ghz 9900ks direct die with liquid metal. Surely I was hoping to get 5.3. Before decapitating the chip I had a 5.1 ghz build pseudostable outside of prime 95 full avx, would hit 100c after just a few minutes.

What could be wrong and how can I fix it. I would like to at LEAST get 5.3ghz out of this guy, higher if its possible, I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I am finding better temps and possibilities with dynamic Vcore and that is what I am doing now and the screenshot will show.

Could it just be something simple as I need a little more liquid metal or the cpu block being too tight or something stupid?

I need help

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5010.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	289360  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp 190815174019.BMP (2.25 MB, 25 views)
File Type: bmp 190815174029.BMP (2.25 MB, 20 views)
File Type: bmp 190815174041.BMP (2.25 MB, 17 views)
File Type: bmp 190815174054.BMP (2.25 MB, 17 views)
File Type: bmp 190815174058.BMP (2.25 MB, 16 views)
File Type: bmp 190815174105.BMP (2.25 MB, 14 views)
File Type: bmp 190815174111.BMP (2.25 MB, 16 views)
File Type: bmp 190815174117.BMP (2.25 MB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 383 (Unique: 274)
Quote: Originally Posted by poopsLIVE View Post
I need some help guys. I have seen a lot better results than what I am getting and I am not sure if its a bad mount, too little liquid metal, somethings too tight, not changing the correct settings, lost the silicon lottery or what and maybe you guys can help me. I am having some temperature and stability issues especially running prime 95 small ffts with AVX.

• 9900k @ 5.3ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus z390 XTREME (F7 Bios)
  • EK Velocity CPU Block
  • EK X Res Pump w/250 reservoir
  • All EK PETG Tubing & Fittings
  • Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce Extreme 2080ti
  • x2 Alphacool Slim 360 Copper Rads
  • x6 Thermaltake Riing Trio Fans
  • Thermaltake irgb Plus 850w gold PSU
  • Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic
  • 512gb Samsung 970 Pro m.2 (Boot)
  • 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus m.2 (Storage)
  • 16gb x2 G Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 Memory (F4-3200C14D-32GTZR) 14-14-14-34 1.35v

Here is a link to my work on the removal of the solder and using Fitz polish https://flic.kr/p/2gXQHxF

I used Der8auer's delidding tool and also the OC Frame.

So as it stands right now. Idle temps are right at about 33C ambient is 23C. Idle Core Voltage is at 1.296v. VID is 1.31v. When I start up Cinebench r20 the 2 hottest cores hit 90c with the core voltage hitting 1.47v and VID bouncing between 1.3 and 1.29. Its kind of concerning how high the voltage reaches will complete with a 5456 score. Now in OCCT I let it run for about 10 min and I had a whea error and I shut it down which I know means the OC is not stable and needs further work. Realbench will hit 94c after about 2 minutes of stress testing. Prime 95 with AVX small ffts will crash immediately and temps are over 100c. Prime 95 small ffts NO AVX my max temps are 90c after a few minutes. Core voltage there is hitting 1.416v.

I pretty much used this guide at first https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/...le/525/946.pdf and temps were just really wild with manually setting VCORE to 1.39, turbo loadline and following the rest of the instructions.

I have the xmp profile activated but manually put in my timings and set dram to 1.35.

I am including all of my bios screenshots and hopefully someone can help me out as to what is going wrong. I have see a few 5.5ghz 9900ks direct die with liquid metal. Surely I was hoping to get 5.3. Before decapitating the chip I had a 5.1 ghz build pseudostable outside of prime 95 full avx, would hit 100c after just a few minutes.

What could be wrong and how can I fix it. I would like to at LEAST get 5.3ghz out of this guy, higher if its possible, I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I am finding better temps and possibilities with dynamic Vcore and that is what I am doing now and the screenshot will show.

Could it just be something simple as I need a little more liquid metal or the cpu block being too tight or something stupid?

I need help

I have seen ZERO 9900ks at 5.5 ghz with hyperthreading ON, on any above zero cooling. Zero.
I've seen a couple that had most of the cores disabled. But zero 8/16's that weren't suicide runs at like 1.5v or something.
I believe I MAY have seen a 5.4 ghz 9900K *without* hyperthreading (8/8), but I don't remember where.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 131 (Unique: 116)
Direct Die?
You are saying you removed the IHS? You can't just run a CPU like that.
Back when IVY Bridge and Debadging first begun you needed to purchase a naked ivy kit, which was basically shortened screws and removing the stock retention bracket.
I still have this kit, it's awesome, the way they measure things is including the IHS not without it so you have very minimal contact with your die, without the kit.

I like to have fun.
https://hwbot.org/user/sockskeepyouwarm/
https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/II+TH3PRO+II
16 Threads is Good
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core I9 9900K 4.8Ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Elite
GPU
Aorus 2080Ti Xtreme Waterforce WB 11GB
RAM
Trident Z
Hard Drive
Samsung 250 SSD
Power Supply
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid
Cooling
Watercooling Custom
Case
900D
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
28" ACER 4K Monitor
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
I have seen ZERO 9900ks at 5.5 ghz with hyperthreading ON, on any above zero cooling. Zero.
I've seen a couple that had most of the cores disabled. But zero 8/16's that weren't suicide runs at like 1.5v or something.
I believe I MAY have seen a 5.4 ghz 9900K *without* hyperthreading (8/8), but I don't remember where.

Maybe the cores were disabled then. Hmm.. Do you suggest 5.3 all core being too far of a reach even with my direct die setup??
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Socks keep you warm View Post
Direct Die?
You are saying you removed the IHS? You can't just run a CPU like that.
Back when IVY Bridge and Debadging first begun you needed to purchase a naked ivy kit, which was basically shortened screws and removing the stock retention bracket.
I still have this kit, it's awesome, the way they measure things is including the IHS not without it so you have very minimal contact with your die, without the kit.
I have the Der8auer OC frame as described in the OP. 2 things, this is an old pic, I had to remove the o rings to make the velocity block sit a little lower as I was having issues with the spacers. Also this was pre liquid metal. The cpu block (Velocity) also has a bit of liquid metal on it as well. Its all about getting the right tension on the OC frame as well. I got it on just as I feel the screws grabbing, and just a little bit more love after that. I don't know how to describe it, maybe an 1/8th of a turn or a little more. I was worried I possible had my CPU block on a too tight or something and heat transfer messed up. Ive done it with thermal paste back in the day first starting out. The "feel" is just a little different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5426.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	289390  

Last edited by poopsLIVE; 08-15-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Are you needing 1.416v with turbo llc under load? As i'm sure you know, that means you're getting well past that with transient jumps that software can't measure. Have you tried using a static vcore and figure out what you're stable at first before messing around with offset? You can drop the temps a fair bit by disabling HT unless you really need it for your use case.

Last edited by robertr1; 08-15-2019 at 03:47 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by robertr1 View Post
Are you needing 1.416v with turbo llc under load? That means you're getting well past that with transient jumps that software can't measure. You might want to just use static vcore and figure out what you're stable at first before messing around with offset. You can drop the temps a fair bit by disabling HT unless you really need it for your use case.
Prime 95 no AVX small ffts under load voltage hitting 1.416 according to CPU Z and sometimes higher
Prime 95 AVX instant BSOD
Cinebench R20 upwards to 1.47 core voltage under load and completing
Idle core voltage 1.296

I was having to put the Vcore manually above 1.4 on Turbo to start finding stability and AVX temps are hitting 100 instantly with no dynamic offset putting it back to auto without AVX small ffts are in the 80s and starting to find stability
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Prime 95 no AVX small ffts under load voltage hitting 1.416 according to CPU Z and sometimes higher
Prime 95 AVX instant BSOD
Cinebench R20 upwards to 1.47 core voltage under load and completing
Idle core voltage 1.296
It's your chip n all but 1.47v is *really* high for everyday use. As I said, that means you got some spikes happening on top of that which very much your cpu in degradation range. You're absolutely going to have issue cooling t hat much voltage regardless of direct die or not.

Unfortunately, winning the silicon lottery means the world on these chips.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by robertr1 View Post
It's your chip n all but 1.47v is *really* high for everyday use. As I said, that means you got some spikes happening on top of that which very much your cpu in degradation range. You're absolutely going to have issue cooling t hat much voltage regardless of direct die or not.

Unfortunately, winning the silicon lottery means the world on these chips.
What would your suggestion on absolute max voltage considering the setup in question for everyday gaming/local recording while streaming?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 131 (Unique: 116)
I have the Der8auer OC frame as described in the OP. 2 things, this is an old pic, I had to remove the o rings to make the velocity block sit a little lower as I was having issues with the spacers. Also this was pre liquid metal. The cpu block (Velocity) also has a bit of liquid metal on it as well. Its all about getting the right tension on the OC frame as well. I got it on just as I feel the screws grabbing, and just a little bit more love after that. I don't know how to describe it, maybe an 1/8th of a turn or a little more. I was worried I possible had my CPU block on a too tight or something and heat transfer messed up. Ive done it with thermal paste back in the day first starting out. The "feel" is just a little different.
Damn i have been out of the loop for years! That's so cool it used to be dangerous stuff running bare die setups as the CPU was only held in by the block nothing else lol. I would say you haven't got good contact with your block though. Have you checked your block? Might need lapping.
EDIT: The 9900K is also a very hot chip, i am literally going today to buy another 360 rad just to try and cool this thing down.

I like to have fun.
https://hwbot.org/user/sockskeepyouwarm/
https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/II+TH3PRO+II
16 Threads is Good
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core I9 9900K 4.8Ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Elite
GPU
Aorus 2080Ti Xtreme Waterforce WB 11GB
RAM
Trident Z
Hard Drive
Samsung 250 SSD
Power Supply
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid
Cooling
Watercooling Custom
Case
900D
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
28" ACER 4K Monitor
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
9900k , direct die , Overclock , temperature , water cooled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in