Is my CPU faulty? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Is my CPU faulty?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
wanna_buy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 346
Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Is my CPU faulty?

I got Xeon E5-2687W for cheap on eBay a while ago. I also got an Intel X79 motherboard. When I assembled the PC and stress-tested, I noticed that Turbo Boost was not working and even the CPU was downclocking to 3.0 GHz after exceeding 63°C on 100% load. Max temps under 100% load were around 78°C. I tried resetting BIOS several times, swapped the PSU and finally I assumed that the mobo was not compatible.

Today I got ASUS P9X79 motherboard with i7 3930K, which did not show any kind of problem. I reset the BIOS and as soon as I inserted my Xeon, it again downclocked to 3.0 GHz after exceeding 63°C. So that rules out the faulty mobo. Thermal throttling on Intel CPUs generally occurs after about 90°C. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility does not report any thermal throttling. Is such behavior normal for this Xeon model or is there any other explanation?

UPDATE: Read post #8 for today's findings.

Last edited by wanna_buy; 08-22-2019 at 07:17 AM.
wanna_buy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:21 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli
 
The Pook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,543
Rep: 1067 (Unique: 629)
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...intel-qpi.html

Quote:
TCASE* - 67°C

*TCASE is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Rii RKM709 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲


The Pook is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:26 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
unclewebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 958
Rep: 202 (Unique: 167)
If the Xeon E5 is throttling at full load, it is likely reaching either one of the turbo power limits or the current limit. Try running HWiNFO. See if it can report the throttling flags for this CPU. Go into the bios and try raising the long and short turbo power limits.

Intel CPUs do not thermal throttle based on the TCase temperature. This specification is intended for computer manufacturers. TCase can only be accurately measured by hacking up the IHS with a Dremel or similar tool. To measure TCase you need to mount a thermocouple so it is flush with the IHS and this temperature sensor has to be located at the geometric center of the IHS.

unclewebb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
wanna_buy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 346
Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
I tinkered with the BIOS settings on intel mobo and disabled some Dynamic Power settings and Turbo Boost and max temps dropped during full load. During gaming the CPU was around 60°C under 100% load and temps mostly didn't exceed 63°C, therefore the CPU was running at 3.1 GHz.I don't think that was the power/current limit issue.

I didn't change anything in the BIOS on ASUS mobo yet.
wanna_buy is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:37 PM
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 1,189
Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by wanna_buy View Post
I tinkered with the BIOS settings on intel mobo and disabled some Dynamic Power settings and Turbo Boost and max temps dropped during full load. During gaming the CPU was around 60°C under 100% load and temps mostly didn't exceed 63°C, therefore the CPU was running at 3.1 GHz.I don't think that was the power/current limit issue.

I didn't change anything in the BIOS on ASUS mobo yet.
I'm not sure what you're worried about. for the CPU you have, temps are fine and always have been. You can safely go up to at least 85c with your CPU.

Tcase is basically a meaningless figure that intel doesnt use anymore.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
UltraMega is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
wanna_buy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 346
Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
I'm not sure what you're worried about. for the CPU you have, temps are fine and always have been. You can safely go up to at least 85c with your CPU.

Tcase is basically a meaningless figure that intel doesnt use anymore.
I clearly stated in the OP that the CPU frequency drops down when it reaches a certain temp under the full load. I don't think that the CPU should downclock under 90°C.
wanna_buy is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:37 PM
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 1,189
Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by wanna_buy View Post
I clearly stated in the OP that the CPU frequency drops down when it reaches a certain temp under the full load. I don't think that the CPU should downclock under 90°C.
Oh sorry I misread.

Have you tried overclocking the CPU at all? Maybe just give it a little more voltage.

On a CPU like the one you have, the only point in having one today is if it can be overclocked. You have the right kind of motherboard to do that so just try a mild overclock and see how that works.

Also if you do see a turbo power limit setting, turn that up by like 50%. The CPU wont use more power that it needs and it will still throttle If it gets to hot so there is not much to worry about when setting the turbo power limit higher.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 08-21-2019 at 11:41 PM.
UltraMega is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
wanna_buy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 346
Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Xeon E5 models for dual socket systems don't have the unlocked multipliers. The only way to overclock them is to adjust BCLK, but changing BCLK may affect the overall system stability. I like old Xeons because they have many cores and you can get the comparable performance for a fraction of the price of the latest CPUs.

I gave away Intel motherboard, but I still have the screenshots showing the issue on that motherboard. The first attached image shows the issue while I was running Prime95 v26.6.

Today I got MSI X79A-GD65 motherboard. I booted with the default BIOS settings and I ran Prime95 v29.8 several times, but after exceeding 63°C, the CPU frequency was stable at 3.1 GHz. See the second attachment. On intel mobo, the CPU frequency was dropping to 2.8 GHz while running Prime95 v29.8.

I was pleasantly surprised. I then enabled XMP in the BIOS to set the RAM frequency at 2133 MHz and Windows booted fine. While Prime95 was running, the temps on some cores reached 84°C after several minutes and HWinfo was showing these temps in red, but the CPU frequency was still stable at 3.1 GHz. Suddenly the screen turned off and the PC shut down. I unplugged the power cord and the CMOS battery. When I tried to turn the PC on again, plume of smoke appeared. The motherboard fried. I swapped the mobo for ASUS P9X79 to test the rest of the parts except the cooler and luckily all other components were just fine. I ran again Prime95 v26.6, but there was no more throttling on ASUS mobo as evidenced on the third attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intel_3Ghz_Throtlling_64C.png
Views:	13
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	290758  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MSI_P95-298_Phanteks.png
Views:	9
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	290760  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASUS_P95-266_CoolerMaster.png
Views:	12
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	290762  

wanna_buy is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:08 PM
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 1,189
Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by wanna_buy View Post
Xeon E5 models for dual socket systems don't have the unlocked multipliers. The only way to overclock them is to adjust BCLK, but changing BCLK may affect the overall system stability. I like old Xeons because they have many cores and you can get the comparable performance for a fraction of the price of the latest CPUs.

I gave away Intel motherboard, but I still have the screenshots showing the issue on that motherboard. The first attached image shows the issue while I was running Prime95 v26.6.

Today I got MSI X79A-GD65 motherboard. I booted with the default BIOS settings and I ran Prime95 v29.8 several times, but after exceeding 63°C, the CPU frequency was stable at 3.1 GHz. See the second attachment. On intel mobo, the CPU frequency was dropping to 2.8 GHz while running Prime95 v29.8.

I was pleasantly surprised. I then enabled XMP in the BIOS to set the RAM frequency at 2133 MHz and Windows booted fine. While Prime95 was running, the temps on some cores reached 84°C after several minutes and HWinfo was showing these temps in red, but the CPU frequency was still stable at 3.1 GHz. Suddenly the screen turned off and the PC shut down. I unplugged the power cord and the CMOS battery. When I tried to turn the PC on again, plume of smoke appeared. The motherboard fried. I swapped the mobo for ASUS P9X79 to test the rest of the parts except the cooler and luckily all other components were just fine. I ran again Prime95 v26.6, but there was no more throttling on ASUS mobo as evidenced on the third attachment.
You said you had an i7 3930K in ur OP...

Sounds like a capacitor on ur motherboard leaked or something... shouldn't have anything to do with the CPU temp.

Your CPU is running a little hot for stock. Maybe you just need better thermal paste. Also make sure the heatsink and CPU surfaces are clean before putting thermal paste on.

Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong from anything you've said. How experienced are you with building computers?

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
UltraMega is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:20 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli
 
The Pook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,543
Rep: 1067 (Unique: 629)
at least you got it sorted.

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
You said you had an i7 3930K in ur OP...

Sounds like a capacitor on ur motherboard leaked or something... shouldn't have anything to do with the CPU temp.

Your CPU is running a little hot for stock. Maybe you just need better thermal paste. Also make sure the heatsink and CPU surfaces are clean before putting thermal paste on.

Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong from anything you've said. How experienced are you with building computers?

how experienced are you with building computers?

it's an 8 core 32nm CPU running P95, his temps are fine.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Rii RKM709 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲


The Pook is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off