MSI X79 OC - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MSI X79 OC

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
MSI X79 OC

Hi,

I'm back! - this time to OC the E5 1680V2 to 4.6 Ghz - This OC though is on an MSI X79 Big Bang X Power II - All previous OC's have been done on Asus motherboards for Z77 & X79 motherboards. I find I'm stuck a little bit and need some assistance.

When P95 29.4 is launched - the x46 (4.6 Ghz)_would be expected to remain static at 4600 Mhz wouldn't it? - eg inside CPU-Z? - I find the frequency is jumping around a little - This is my 1st OC on an MSI board - I've tried several options but still this is happening - What is the setting I'm missing? - Apart from this I'm good to go with a Corsair H150i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

ok it was an option in windows and re-doing the BIOS options - It's off -!

OK, the OC is being stress tested in P95 29.4 blend test. There have been some BSOD's - currently the core voltage is 1.340_v_in BIOS v-rising to 1.368_v __with Corsair H150i 360mm. Is this voltage too much for the CPU? -Current hot core is 73 C after 25 minutes. I expect temps (hope) they stay under 80 (upper ceiling)_TJ_MAX is 95 C for this CPU

Before the P95 I did a quick Passmark and the score was 19,954_multi_2554 for single threaded (wow)[email protected]__4.6 Ghz__OK__back to this OC I'll post a screen shot later__FWIW__9900K gets just under 3000 for single threaded so this 2554 is very useable

Any tips and pointers please

Last edited by fra z; 10-21-2019 at 01:41 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hello,

A screen shot of a clock in progress - this is the mightiest one yet ! - well sort of! - A bit too close for comfort and not much thermal headroom left!

I would have a question, lets say someone here realized they're out of headroom to stress test another frequency eg, 4.7 Ghz or 4.8 Ghz - but wished to use 4.8 Ghz in the real world where temps do not get anywhere near as high as they do in P95 - How much further would the voltage need to go?

And how much lower are real world temps? - for gaming, music or other CPU intensive tasks used in the real world? - Please see attached screen shot - this is good and over 2 hours so looking OK but will leave it on a while longer

I'll try to include a Passmark result later on - Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen e5 1680 v2 msi big bang p95_&.png
Views:	18
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	301694  

Last edited by fra z; 10-21-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK as mentioned earlier a screenshot of E5 1680 V2 @ 4.6 Ghz - Quite incredible!!!

There is a mystery to me as to why C-state seems to disable itself in this MSI BIOS - Please will someone explain why this occurs? - a bug in BIOS (latest 2.8)_for MSI X79 Big Bang X Power II__eist is enabled and turbo and enhanced turbo-but why c-states disables itself.

So I go to BIOS set c-states then go to desktop then back to bios only to find out it has disabled itself somehow - Please explain - Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	passmark 1680 v3 4.6 ghz #3.png
Views:	10
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	301744  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in