9700k delid - Great! and then not... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

9700k delid - Great! and then not...

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
9700k delid - Great! and then not...

For the past year I've been running:
9700k @ 5.3Ghz @ 1.35v
MB: Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
Cooler: EVGA CLC AIO 280mm

I only use this rig for gaming and it's been really stable for a year. Peak per core temps rarely exceed 70C when gaming. Stress test in Intel XTU for 30 min would peak at 85C.

Last week I decided to delid and go direct to die to see how my temps would be affected so I ordered delid kid and direct to die frame from rockitcool. I wasn't too intimidated given I'd delidded before, however this would be my first time delidding a CPU with soldered TIM.

I followed the videos on rockitcool website and delidding / removing old TIM from die went smoothly. I installed the direct to die frame and applied thin layer of liquid metal to die and copper heat sink on the EVGA CLC. I also used the spacers rockitcool included on the EVGA CLC backplate to make up for the extra space now that the IHS was gone.

Direct to die frame and EVGA CLC were attached at a tightness of "stop tightening at first resistance"

I fired everything up and was excited to see average peak temps drop by 10C across all cores. Used the rig for about 12 hours of benchmarking, stress testing and gaming afterwards.

The next day I was running the TimeSpy benchmark and out of curiosity I reached over to feel how hot the CPU VRM heatsink was on the MB. (I have an open air case - the heat sink was only slightly warm). I held my finger on the heat sink for maybe 3 seconds and then the whole computer shut off and then turned back on but wouldn't POST - it just hangs with no debug code and the red CPU status light glows on the MB. Clearing CMOS, etc does nothing. When I power on it just hangs before POST. Checked PSU with multimeter and all is fine.

I'm completely stumped as to what happened. I asked myself how, if I had somehow damaged the CPU during delidding/reinstallation, the rig had worked for several hours before? Is it just a coincidence that everything went to hell when I touched the VRM heat sink? (I have a habit of doing this during more rigorous computing out of curiosity)

I took everything back apart checking first to confirm liquid metal hadn't leaked out and caused a short - it had not. I've also tried adjusting the tightness settings of the die frame and cooler heat sink having read that sometimes the socket will not make appropriate contact with CPU if the tightness is off. I feel like a tightness problem would explain me never being able to turn on the system in the first place, not this type of incident. I've also cleaned off all liquid metal from the die and there is no visible damage - it still looks brand new....I paid special attention to corners to make sure one hadn't flattened. The pins in the CPU socket also look fine.

Any ideas? I would be blaming the motherboard if I hadn't just delidded the CPU a day prior, but still not ruling out a MB problem.

Thanks for reading this long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:41 PM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 30 (Unique: 16)
You had static charge within your body which caused a short the moment you touched metal heatsink. Basically - you most likely killed something.

PC for all
(21 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
Soon to be 2070 Super FE
RAM
KHX24C11T3K2/16X 11-12-12-32-1T-250
Hard Drive
Corsair MP510
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Power Supply
SeaSonic Focus Plus 750W
Cooling
Raijintek Tisis lapped+ Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Cooling
Arctic P12 PWM x2
Cooling
Arctic P14 x4
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Samsung C24FG73FQUX
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red Silent
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 600
Mousepad
Artisan FX Raiden
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808 + MUSES8820 + 2x 2xLME49990
Audio
AKG M220
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300 Arcade Stick
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:29 PM
Da Boss

Rep: 145 (Unique: 123)
Looks like you learned a valuable and expensive lesson. Never touch a running rig unless you've ground yourself first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:43 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1120 (Unique: 647)
please show me static discharge (lol) killing a PC component several seconds after you touch it. if that was the case the second he touched it it'd have flipped its ****.

Far more likely you pushed the VRM heatsink too hard and it caused a short, but if it happened a few seconds after you touched it like you said then that's out too. I'd probably still take off the VRM heatsink and take a peak.

You also can't check if a PSU is good or not with a multimeter, just because you used a multimeter and it passed your multimeter test doesn't mean it's good. Unlikely it's the issue but a multimeter doesn't rule it out.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Dierya DK63-BT 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 8)
I would think you would feel the static shock. If the heatsync caused a short, I would guess there would be an ozone smell.

I wager it's just coincident that something failed about the same time you were touching the heatsync.

Go slow and troubleshoot.

I always start with resetting everything. Also, if I have other parts, i would swap out (memory, video card, PSU etc...). Remove anything you don't need (GPU, 1 memory stick, etc....)

After the initial step, try reinstalling the stock CPU socket, place the CPU into the socket, add the IHS, and close the stock CPU hold down plate and see if it boots. If it does, you probably didn't have enough mounting pressure.

If it doesn't boot, assume something is broken. So now you have a decision point. Start RMAing and/or purchasing very cheap board/CPU to test.

I would start with purchasing a cheap 1151 CPU. If that doesn't work, RMA the board. If it works, assume you need a new 9900k or retry with different mounting pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80677...8832011&sr=8-3

If you want, a cheap LGA1151 board can help solidify the issue but I don't think its needed:

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Performan...s%2C172&sr=8-7
(Double check compatibility of course).

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
I would think you would feel the static shock. If the heatsync caused a short, I would guess there would be an ozone smell.

Actually, the amount of static discharge it takes to create issues with computers is less than would be felt.

That being said I am not advocating that is what happened here, just making an observation

Open Air Build
(13 items)
CPU
i9
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
GPU
MSI GEFORCE GTX1080 TI GAMING X 11G
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA
Cooling
All PrimoChill parts (Rad 360, Pumps D5, Fittings, and Acrylic Tubing), Byskey CPU&GPU Blocks
Case
Praxis Wet Bench
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus Predrator
Other
Thermaltake Commander F6 Fan Controller
Other
DIY Sleeved Cables
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:14 PM
Gamer and overclocker !

Rep: 56 (Unique: 46)
Liquid metal applying issue ?
In contact with some SMD components ?

My war machine
(21 items)
CPU
INTEL Core i7-6900K : [email protected],4GHz (44x100MHz) / [email protected],7GHz (37x100MHz) / Vccin=1,84V (LLC7) / Vcore=1,37V (Adaptative mode) / Vcache=1,27V to 1,28V (Offset mode, offset=+0,294V) / Vccsa=0,8V (Offset=-0,145V) / Vccio=1,048V
Motherboard
ASUS X99-Deluxe II (BIOS Beta 2101)
GPU
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti SEA HAWK X // Gaming overclock settings in MSI Afterburner (Except for BFV with DXR enabled and CoD MW with DXR enabled) : [email protected] (Offset=+160MHz) / [email protected] (Offset=+1100MHz) / Vddc=1,05V // BIOS GALAX RTX 2080 Ti OC Reference PCB (2x8-Pin) power target 380W version 90.02.0B.00.A9 // Liquid metal paste THERMAL GRIZZLY Conductonaut
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4-3200 32GB(8GBx4) CL14 (F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ) @ 3400MHz @ 14-15-14-34-250-1T @ Vdimm=1,41V
Hard Drive
SSD SAMSUNG 860 PRO 2TB (System)
Hard Drive
HDD WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Blue 1TB SATA3-600 64MB cache (Data)
Optical Drive
LG BH16NS40
Power Supply
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M2 1000W
Cooling
EVGA CLC 280 with Push-Pull fans configuration (2 fans "EVGA CLC 280" in push and 2 fans "NOCTUA NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 PWM" in pull / Thermal paste NOCTUA NT-H1)
Case
ANTEC Nine Hundred Two V3 (Opened side panel)
Operating System
MICROSOFT Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Monitor
ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
Keyboard
LOGITECH K120
Mouse
LOGITECH G402 Hyperion Fury
Audio
SPEAKERS CREATIVE Inspire T6160
Audio
HEADSET ACER Predator Gaming
Audio
SOUND CARD REALTEK ALC1150 on-board
Other
PRINTER EPSON DX8450
Other
WEBCAM LOGITECH C170
Other
FTTH INTERNET CONNECTION : 1Gbps DL / 300Mbps UL
Other
RAZER Goliathus Control (Small)
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 8)
Btw, when you get it figured out, dont use liquid metal with CU. Ni plate the copper first.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 06:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 396 (Unique: 283)
Quote: Originally Posted by Stockman View Post
For the past year I've been running:
9700k @ 5.3Ghz @ 1.35v
MB: Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
Cooler: EVGA CLC AIO 280mm

I only use this rig for gaming and it's been really stable for a year. Peak per core temps rarely exceed 70C when gaming. Stress test in Intel XTU for 30 min would peak at 85C.

Last week I decided to delid and go direct to die to see how my temps would be affected so I ordered delid kid and direct to die frame from rockitcool. I wasn't too intimidated given I'd delidded before, however this would be my first time delidding a CPU with soldered TIM.

I followed the videos on rockitcool website and delidding / removing old TIM from die went smoothly. I installed the direct to die frame and applied thin layer of liquid metal to die and copper heat sink on the EVGA CLC. I also used the spacers rockitcool included on the EVGA CLC backplate to make up for the extra space now that the IHS was gone.

Direct to die frame and EVGA CLC were attached at a tightness of "stop tightening at first resistance"

I fired everything up and was excited to see average peak temps drop by 10C across all cores. Used the rig for about 12 hours of benchmarking, stress testing and gaming afterwards.

The next day I was running the TimeSpy benchmark and out of curiosity I reached over to feel how hot the CPU VRM heatsink was on the MB. (I have an open air case - the heat sink was only slightly warm). I held my finger on the heat sink for maybe 3 seconds and then the whole computer shut off and then turned back on but wouldn't POST - it just hangs with no debug code and the red CPU status light glows on the MB. Clearing CMOS, etc does nothing. When I power on it just hangs before POST. Checked PSU with multimeter and all is fine.

I'm completely stumped as to what happened. I asked myself how, if I had somehow damaged the CPU during delidding/reinstallation, the rig had worked for several hours before? Is it just a coincidence that everything went to hell when I touched the VRM heat sink? (I have a habit of doing this during more rigorous computing out of curiosity)

I took everything back apart checking first to confirm liquid metal hadn't leaked out and caused a short - it had not. I've also tried adjusting the tightness settings of the die frame and cooler heat sink having read that sometimes the socket will not make appropriate contact with CPU if the tightness is off. I feel like a tightness problem would explain me never being able to turn on the system in the first place, not this type of incident. I've also cleaned off all liquid metal from the die and there is no visible damage - it still looks brand new....I paid special attention to corners to make sure one hadn't flattened. The pins in the CPU socket also look fine.

Any ideas? I would be blaming the motherboard if I hadn't just delidded the CPU a day prior, but still not ruling out a MB problem.

Thanks for reading this long post.
Was the CPU in an open air case or in open air without a case? (test bench, etc?).
What kind of case was it? One of those strange glass cases that is made to be used as a test bench?

Touching a heatsink wouldn't cause a short 3 seconds after you touched it.
How hard did you press on the heatsink?

As others said, remove the VRM heatsink and take a look underneath, and also look at the underside.
I've touched heatsinks before and never saw something like this happen. The only thing I can think of is that there was a bad soldering job, and touching the heatsink jarred something. But even that doesn't make much sense, as I'm sure the heatsink was "violated" when the board was first removed out of the box and installed !

Again, how was this board installed? Do you have pictures?
I'm guessing pressing down on the VRM heatsink (again--how hard did you press?) caused something to short underneath the motherboard. Still don't see how this would kill something completely. Again, what sort of case was this? Glass? Metal? What standoffs? Did the back of the CPU socket touch anything?

BTW did you switch to the backup BIOS? Flip the dual bios switch to "Single bios mode" and then switch the bios switch to bios 2 and see if that does anything.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi all and thanks for all the replies.

I bought a new G5400 CPU tonight, installed and I'm still getting the same issue. It's crazy how with either CPU the MB makes zero effort to POST. The CPU status light illuminates the instant the PSU clicks on and it halts there. BTW, I installed new CPU using the socket bracket that came with the board ( i.e. no rockit cool parts)

More details on touching the heat sink -
I placed my index finger on the side, close to pcb, under the fins. I didn't apply any pressure. Finger was on it probably close to 5 seconds before everything shut off. For better or worse I touch this area frequently when stress testing or after many hours of gaming. It's just a habit that began with how impressed I was with this board's ability to keep VRM cool.

The case is the Thermaltake Open frame.

Not sure what taking off the VRM heatsink would reveal other than a voided warranty. I didn't smell any burning or see smoke.

Tried booting to backup bios. When I do this the machine will immediately turn off then back on one time before it hangs at the usual spot. But I can confirm from the bios led that the backup was referenced. I also changed out the CMOS battery.

The only test I did to the EVGA 850 G2 was to ensure 12v was being supplied to the CPU power connector. This PSU is a year old.

Any other ideas before I RMA the board / buy a new one?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in