9900KS OC - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

9900KS OC

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
9900KS OC

How is peoples 9900KS running? What clocks, and on what cooler? I plan to run a 9900KS with a AIO (Asus ryujin 360 or Alphacool Eisbaer 280 Extreme) and wonder if I'll be likely to achieve 5.2 all cores with it for gaming.
Also, has anyone tried running high speed memory on the 9900KS yet? - like around 4133MHz etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 09:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by camaxide View Post
How is peoples 9900KS running? What clocks, and on what cooler? I plan to run a 9900KS with a AIO (Asus ryujin 360 or Alphacool Eisbaer 280 Extreme) and wonder if I'll be likely to achieve 5.2 all cores with it for gaming.
Also, has anyone tried running high speed memory on the 9900KS yet? - like around 4133MHz etc.
Go with the Noctua NH-U12A, it is better / as good as any AIO and gives you better temps long term.

My 9900k ran cooler with the Noctua NH-U12A than with Corsair's 360mm AIO, blew my mind. AIOs are just an option if you want it for the looks. Cooling-wise, you'll gain nothing.

I'd really love to hear about 9900ks sample quality though.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 07:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 32)
Hi Guys,

I haven't really posted or been active in the OC community in a long while. My last real build was in 2013 with a 5ghz 3770k and I haven't upgraded since then.

I ended up getting the itch and purchased a new motherboard, ram, and cpu. That being the Z390 Aorus Master and 9900KS.

I have two 9900KS in my possession, one which is being returned, but I figured I would share some of my findings here. Both chips require at least 1.33-1.34 volts to be stable in Prime95 with AVX offsets at 5ghz stock.

Your chances of overclocking to 5.1 and 5.2 are severely limited on a KS. Voltages may even be high on stock unless I am doing something completely wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by gl0ry View Post
Hi Guys,

I haven't really posted or been active in the OC community in a long while. My last real build was in 2013 with a 5ghz 3770k and I haven't upgraded since then.

I ended up getting the itch and purchased a new motherboard, ram, and cpu. That being the Z390 Aorus Master and 9900KS.

I have two 9900KS in my possession, one which is being returned, but I figured I would share some of my findings here. Both chips require at least 1.33-1.34 volts to be stable in Prime95 with AVX offsets at 5ghz stock.

Your chances of overclocking to 5.1 and 5.2 are severely limited on a KS. Voltages may even be high on stock unless I am doing something completely wrong.
Which P95? How many AVX offsets? Why are you using P95 with AVX off is pretty much the only P95 I would touch. I have yet to ever have my CPU overclocks fail even when P95 will crash them. There just isn't anything out there that I use that will punish a CPU in the same fashion that power virus does. I stick to CB, OCCT, Realbench, AIDA64, and then I go use real world apps like blender, games, and what not. Worrying that you can't pass 72hrs of P95 small FFTs is really a pointless worry. If you really need that type of workload and stability you wouldn't be overclocking in the first place.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Talon2016 View Post
Which P95? How many AVX offsets? Why are you using P95 with AVX off is pretty much the only P95 I would touch. I have yet to ever have my CPU overclocks fail even when P95 will crash them. There just isn't anything out there that I use that will punish a CPU in the same fashion that power virus does. I stick to CB, OCCT, Realbench, AIDA64, and then I go use real world apps like blender, games, and what not. Worrying that you can't pass 72hrs of P95 small FFTs is really a pointless worry. If you really need that type of workload and stability you wouldn't be overclocking in the first place.
I was using Prime95 with AVX on and 0 offsets. 29.8 Build 6, pretty sure. I'm at work so I don't have it in front of me.

I understand that Prime95 with AVX is not realistic, but if one of the work threaders stops almost immediately, don't you think it's a cause for concern?

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

I was using Prime95 with AVX on and 0 offsets. 29.8 Build 6, pretty sure. I'm at work so I don't have it in front of me.

I understand that Prime95 with AVX is not realistic, but if one of the work threaders stops almost immediately, don't you think it's a cause for concern?
Well is anything else crashing or simply P95 with AVX? Did you test Realbench which also uses AVX but is a much more realistic workload for almost all use cases? Like I said I don't mess with P95 AVX, same with OCCT Small data set AVX, etc. I think Silicon Lottery does which is why they use an AVX offset when they certify their CPUs for sale. I suppose they don't want people returning them claiming they can't pass P95 AVX. Again it's up to you and your personal workload. I would personally test your daily workload and software to check for stability after a combo of other 'Stress Tests'.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Talon2016 View Post
Well is anything else crashing or simply P95 with AVX? Did you test Realbench which also uses AVX but is a much more realistic workload for almost all use cases? Like I said I don't mess with P95 AVX, same with OCCT Small data set AVX, etc. I think Silicon Lottery does which is why they use an AVX offset when they certify their CPUs for sale. I suppose they don't want people returning them claiming they can't pass P95 AVX. Again it's up to you and your personal workload. I would personally test your daily workload and software to check for stability after a combo of other 'Stress Tests'.
I did test Prime95 without AVX and I can get that test running just fine around 1.28v. That being said I did not run it for hours, just a quick 5-10 minute thing and then move on to AVX which immediately failed. All my knowledge for OC is outdated and back from Gen 3. I was reading that a lot of people do not use Prime95 with AVX as an indication of a stable overclock these days, so I may have to rethink how I do it.

With that said, I did try 5.1 and it required atleast 1.35 or 1.36 to run Prime95 even without AVX. Not even sure if that's stable, just did a fast test run last night. Needless to say, that's way too many volts and thermals are not great there, so the extra 100mhz just isn't worth it imo.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:48 AM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 179 (Unique: 123)
I did test Prime95 without AVX and I can get that test running just fine around 1.28v. That being said I did not run it for hours, just a quick 5-10 minute thing and then move on to AVX which immediately failed. All my knowledge for OC is outdated and back from Gen 3. I was reading that a lot of people do not use Prime95 with AVX as an indication of a stable overclock these days, so I may have to rethink how I do it.

With that said, I did try 5.1 and it required atleast 1.35 or 1.36 to run Prime95 even without AVX. Not even sure if that's stable, just did a fast test run last night. Needless to say, that's way too many volts and thermals are not great there, so the extra 100mhz just isn't worth it imo.
You can set an AVX offset which will down clock the CPU when running AVX workloads.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1218mV
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
You can set an AVX offset which will down clock the CPU when running AVX workloads.
Yes I am aware, however, for 5.1 even without avx Prime95 was requiring upwards of 1.36v for stability which I cannot even confirm yet. That's just to have it up and running without immediately freezing, which is just too hot for my taste. I fully admit that my tests could be far from optimal, but there are other reports here that the KS requires quite a bit of volts just to stay stable at 5ghz, so I don't think I'm that far off.

Out of the box the KS runs at 5ghz without needing an AVX offset. I'm not sure how I feel about running 5ghz at a lower voltage and maintaining stability by under clocking the chip with AVX offsets.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 12:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Here is my 9900KS running 30 minutes of Realbench Stress test. 5.1Ghz all cores with 0 offsets and 4.7ghz cache with 1.26v BIOS and 1.199v under load. Yes this stress test uses Realbench. If I get a CPU to past this test for 30-1hr it's usually stable under everything normal use I will ever encounter. My next test is BFV as I've found if you're stable in that, you will be stable in most other use case. I think 5.3Ghz would be viable at an acceptable voltage, but I will likely leave it here and run low voltage. I just don't need higher clocks for really anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (101).png
Views:	96
Size:	775.7 KB
ID:	304622  

Tags
9900ks , aio , Alphacool , Overclock , ryujin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in