i7-7700K Degrading Single Core Performance | Certain Game FPS Drops/Stutter - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

i7-7700K Degrading Single Core Performance | Certain Game FPS Drops/Stutter

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
i7-7700K Degrading Single Core Performance | Certain Game FPS Drops/Stutter

Hello Overclock.NET
Happy New Year to everyone.

Specs:
- i7-7700k at 5Ghz (Delided) 1.32Ghz Temps: (40c idle - 79c load) Purchased in mid-2017 and running with said specs since
- Corsair Hydro Series H150i (Purchased Dec 18, 2019)
- EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
- Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512MB (Running Windows 10 Pro Build 1909)
- Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V
- ASUS ROG Strix Z270e
- Corsair RM850 PSU

I want to firstly start by saying that I've been driving myself crazy with trying to figure out the FPS drops in certain games likes Diablo 3, GTA 5 and other Titles where the games don't utilize high GPU load or CPU load and Framerate times are high and fluctuate. I've done things like DDU, Fresh Windows install, FPS caps to fine-tune the Framerate times and nothing. I even went as far as purchasing a new Dell S2719DGF to upgrade from my previous limited to 60hz 4k display to see if it would improve the FPS Stutter/Drops/Framerate times, but nothing. I've tried all the g-sync settings that can be recommended from the Blur Busters and other Youtube tutorials to help fine-tune FPS, but that's just the thing, this doesn't happen in all titles, for instance, RDR2 works amazingly fine at 2k with my 2080 Ti and 7700k at 5Ghz. I understand some titles use more cores than others and I understand that maybe 4 cores in today's world might also be bottlenecking the 2080 Ti even at 5Ghz. This was also happening with my 1080 Ti so the video card is ruled out of the picture.

Games to be having FPS Frametime stutter issues: (Are these games single-core dependant?)
-GTA 5 (the same engine as RDR2 and RDR2 works fine)
-Diablo 3
-Control
-PUBG

Just yesterday I decided to run VMWare Workstation Pro to run some old OSs like Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, and even Windows XP Pro and noticed that performance was stuttering on driving through the OS interface (small freezes, lags, mouse pauses) and the settings I have are set to use one core for hardware usage. I don't know if this validates it as a good test or sort of benchmark to rule out that my 7700k can be experiencing single-core performance issues, but once I give another core it obviously performs better. An i7-7700k's single-core should be able to run even Windows XP Pro like a breeze. I am looking to upgrade CPU and motherboard in April 2020 when the new i9-10900k releases, but till then I want to see if I can try and rule out that my processor is just degraded in performance and that it could also possibly be bottlenecking my monster GPU as I don't feel like it should.

Are there any tests or benchmarks that can help someone define/identify any issues on my end that I can run? Any suggestions would help as I've exhausted ideas and things to troubleshoot.

-Nelson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 08:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 1)
Modern games are going to hate a 4c/8thread chip, I think the minimum now is really leaning towards a 6c/12thread. I purchased my 2080TI and lasted 2 weeks on a 6700K @ 4.8Ghz before I went with a 9900K. It's certainly a bottleneck. Games were a hell of a lot smoother; ex, AC:Odyssey had some very noticeable framerate increases, especially in towns where the CPU gets hammered.

Is your overclock stable? I know you've ran it for a while, but sometimes these things happen. I've seen some have had weird issues after the Intel microcode updates. You could also try using Inspectre to turn off the software mitigation, see if that helps you at all. I'm not concerned with Spectre or Meltdown as a normal user, and I'd like my 2-3% performance back, thank you very much
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 09:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Symptoms of CPU degradation would not be FPS drops in certain games.

CPU degradation would show as your current OC becoming unstable, requiring more voltage and\or lowering MHz of OC to maintain stability.

As said previously by acoustic, most likely you are seeing the limits of your CPU core count with games that are taking more advantage of higher core count CPUs.

Most definately your CPU is the bottle neck with a 2080 Ti.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in