Is delidding a 9900k worth it? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Is delidding a 9900k worth it?

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 173 (Unique: 154)
Quote: Originally Posted by wholeeo View Post
Anyone?
"Hello, as you may know the 9900K is the same form factor as the older CPUs and it will fit in the Rockit 88. However, the Rockit 88 was designed for the older CPUs which are much thinner. The thickness of the 9th gen PCB can cause problems when delidding with the Rockit 88. It can damage the 9th Gen CPU.
Normally I will stand behind my product, if you damage your CPU, I will replace it. But, if you use the Rockit 88 to delid the 9th Gen CPU. I can not stand behind it.
That being said, I have had many reports of the Rockit 88 delidding the 9th Gen CPU with no problems.
Thank you,
James

RockitCool Seller · December 12, 2018
Leave a Comment | Do you find this helpful?"

i7 980x + CF 6970
(11 items)
CPU
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K @ 5.2GHz
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Apex Z390
GPU
ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 Ti O11G
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z Royal @ 4200MHz CL18
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate BarraCuda 8TB
Power Supply
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200
Cooling
Swiftech H360X3 + HardwareLabs Nemesis 360 GTX
Case
Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Samsung CHG70 32" QLED, 1ms 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G815 Tactile
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless
Mousepad
Logitech G840
Audio
Kanto Yu4 + Kanto SUB8 8-Inch
Audio
Audeze LCD-4
CPU
i7 980X 3003B475* @ 4449.1MHz 1.45V (6C-12T)
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage III Extreme - 1208 BIOS
GPU
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
RAM
6GB Corsair Dominator GT 2009MHz / 7-8-7-20 T1 C7*
Hard Drive
RAID 0* OCZ Vertex 3 120GBX2 (OS)+ 4X 2TB WD Green
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME 600 Titanium
Case
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch-2 Cherry MX Red
Mouse
Razor Mamba 4G
Mouse
Logitech G703
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 10:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by ObiWanShinob1 View Post
I've lapped a cpu in the past and will probably lap my cpu die unless I get the rockit kit thing with the bigger pre lapped die but

I saw a YouTube video of someone delidding a 9900k then he scraped off the solder interface, then he lapped the actual silicon on the chip, and I'm wondering how that could possibly be safe. He claimed to get like something like 15C cooler off of it. He removed like a quarter of the silicon on the chip

What I'm wondering is would this be detrimental to the cpu in ways you can't really notice with a stress test? Why would Intel make the chip way thicker than normal? Apparently the thermal conductivity of silicon is much lower than copper and the claim was that going through that fraction of a millimeter of the chip is the main reason why Temps can't be controlled on the 9900k even with the best aio there is. Personally I hate aio coolers and tried one and a 240 rad won't even bolt to my spec 02 case so I'm gunna get a dark rock pro 4 or a noctua d15 chromax. By the way are those perfectly flat and true on the bottom or should they be lapped too?

I'm 100 percent going to have a lapped cpu even to get 2C out of itbecause that makes the noctua keep up with the best watercooling there is even though I know the reason people lap is for liquid nitrogen and the fact it cracks the thermal compound from convexing

But yeah is it worth it to rip my IHS off my cpu, then scrape off the solder then sand a quarter of the silicon off my chip? I wanna overclock my 9900k and it's stock for now til I pick my best thermal solution but it seems like even the best coolers in the world can end up near 100c on these chips and honestly short of trading my Intel mobo and cpu for an AMD thatcan be tamed I don't know what to do about this

Edit: I read up somewhere on reddit and someone was talking about the equation of thermal conductivity of the chip and claimed the cpu would have to produce something like a 900 watt TDP to even have that little bit of silicon sanded down matter to drop the Temps 15C, if that's the case would delidding and liquid metal work almost as s good as sanding the chip?

You can get the delid tool for cheap and delid it. But your taking a risk, just like when you take off your stock video card fans and change it to something more exotic. There is always a chance of a crack on the CPU but if you do it properly and look at some utube videos then you will know how to do it. Then you would put liquid metal on the die and close her up. Your Temps will be 2 to 5c less. More like avg 3c but also your warmest temps will come down couple degrees. You have a nice processor I wouldn't touch it if it was me. Just not worth it... You spin the screw on the delid tool with agression and say goodbye to your CPU and what not.

CPU
INTEL 10980XE @ NO STOCK
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X299X AORUS MASTER
GPU
GIGABYTE WF RTX 2080
RAM
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB @ 64GB 3200 CL16 QUAD CHANNEL B-DIE
Hard Drive
CORSAIR MP510 960GB M.2 GEN 3 SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 500GB 850 PRO 500GB CRUCIAL M4 500GB LaCie EXTERNAL 2TB PORSCHE DESIGN & 500GB eSATA
Power Supply
CORSAIR AX1600i TITANIUM @ CORSAIR 330r BLACKOUT EDITION CASE
Cooling
CORSAIR H115i PRO RGB @ NOCTUA NF-14's INTAKE NF-14 EXHAUST NF-P12
Monitor
AOC 40" CURVED 4k LG 55" C9 OLED G-SYNC 120HZ
Keyboard
LOGITECH 915 LINEAR WIRELESS
Mouse
LOGITECH G PRO WIRELESS
Mousepad
STEELSERIES SMALL
Audio
LOGITECH G935 WIRELESS SCARLETT 2i2 AUDIO INTERFACE KRK ROKITS 10" & SENNHEISER HD 650 & 4.5.0 BTNC SL GRAND 88 Sonar Producer
▲ hide details ▲
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 10:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 45 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by Turtle Rig View Post
You can get the delid tool for cheap and delid it. But your taking a risk, just like when you take off your stock video card fans and change it to something more exotic. There is always a chance of a crack on the CPU but if you do it properly and look at some utube videos then you will know how to do it. Then you would put liquid metal on the die and close her up. Your Temps will be 2 to 5c less. More like avg 3c but also your warmest temps will come down couple degrees. You have a nice processor I wouldn't touch it if it was me. Just not worth it... You spin the screw on the delid tool with agression and say goodbye to your CPU and what not.
If you use the proper Delid kit and you damage the CPU Rockit will replace it. You'll have to send in the CPU for them to confirm that's what broke it but really it's so damn easy to do, you shouldn't run into any problems.

For me going deliidding and going direct I went from close to 100c at 5ghz to at max 64c. It was well worth it.

With how hot these Intel CPU's are getting, IMHO delid and direct die is the way to go. I also can't say enough good things about Rockit's direct die kit, works wonders

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:15 AM
hazed is lazed

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
If you use the proper Delid kit and you damage the CPU Rockit will replace it. You'll have to send in the CPU for them to confirm that's what broke it but really it's so damn easy to do, you shouldn't run into any problems.

For me going deliidding and going direct I went from close to 100c at 5ghz to at max 64c. It was well worth it.

With how hot these Intel CPU's are getting, IMHO delid and direct die is the way to go. I also can't say enough good things about Rockit's direct die kit, works wonders

Make sure you get a delid tool that's made for 9th gen intel cpu when you delid… I recommend the delid and direct die with liquid metal just be carful when you mount your water block/aio use washers.. I used 4 screws and a bunch of washers and nuts from a waterblock I bought from china that I didn't use, comes with the red washers... then I used the stock corsair nuts which had enough clearance with the long washers that came with the rocket direct die kit. ended up working perfect. just put the aio on the die and screw down screws but don't go crazy just enough so its holding it on the die and the liquid metal can connect and work between the die and the copper corsair water block.

I wonder when or if intel has plans to use liquid metal in the cpus anytime soon... its a great way to cool down cpu solder and paste sucks compared to liquid metal
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:11 PM
Pigeon Poop Enthusiast

Rep: 254 (Unique: 187)
Might do direct die but I just put a monoblock on my board...lol Would have to disassemble everything to get to it now

{CPU} i9-9900K @ 5.0 {MB} Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master {Ram} HyperX Predator 64GB DDR4 3200
{GPU} Gigabyte Aorus 5700XT {Case} TT P3 {PSU} Evga SuperNova 1200W P2 {Fans} Corsair ML120 Pros
{Rads} EKWB XE 360 {Pump} EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 {Block} EK Supremacy Evo {Monitor} LG 32" 32UD99-W 4K
{NVME's} {1} Samsung 970 Evo 500GB (MacOS) {2} Samsung 970 Pro 512GB (W10) {3} Inland Premium 1TB (Storage)
{Keyboard} Corsair K70 RGB MK2 Blues {Mouse} Logitech G502
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Just be careful man I mean anyone can do it with the delid tool and a video showing how to do it. I personaly wouldn't take a chance on chipping the CPU and with my luck that would happen and know your clusterfudghed.

CPU
INTEL 10980XE @ NO STOCK
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X299X AORUS MASTER
GPU
GIGABYTE WF RTX 2080
RAM
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB @ 64GB 3200 CL16 QUAD CHANNEL B-DIE
Hard Drive
CORSAIR MP510 960GB M.2 GEN 3 SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 500GB 850 PRO 500GB CRUCIAL M4 500GB LaCie EXTERNAL 2TB PORSCHE DESIGN & 500GB eSATA
Power Supply
CORSAIR AX1600i TITANIUM @ CORSAIR 330r BLACKOUT EDITION CASE
Cooling
CORSAIR H115i PRO RGB @ NOCTUA NF-14's INTAKE NF-14 EXHAUST NF-P12
Monitor
AOC 40" CURVED 4k LG 55" C9 OLED G-SYNC 120HZ
Keyboard
LOGITECH 915 LINEAR WIRELESS
Mouse
LOGITECH G PRO WIRELESS
Mousepad
STEELSERIES SMALL
Audio
LOGITECH G935 WIRELESS SCARLETT 2i2 AUDIO INTERFACE KRK ROKITS 10" & SENNHEISER HD 650 & 4.5.0 BTNC SL GRAND 88 Sonar Producer
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:14 PM
Pigeon Poop Enthusiast

Rep: 254 (Unique: 187)
Quote: Originally Posted by Turtle Rig View Post
Just be careful man I mean anyone can do it with the delid tool and a video showing how to do it. I personaly wouldn't take a chance on chipping the CPU and with my luck that would happen and know your clusterfudghed.
Thanks but I'm sure I'll be fine. I started delidding when the go to tool was just a razor blade..lol

However I'll be buying the complete direct die set which comes with the new tool. Perhaps I'll put it on tour here like I did with the Rockit 88 a while back.

{CPU} i9-9900K @ 5.0 {MB} Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master {Ram} HyperX Predator 64GB DDR4 3200
{GPU} Gigabyte Aorus 5700XT {Case} TT P3 {PSU} Evga SuperNova 1200W P2 {Fans} Corsair ML120 Pros
{Rads} EKWB XE 360 {Pump} EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 {Block} EK Supremacy Evo {Monitor} LG 32" 32UD99-W 4K
{NVME's} {1} Samsung 970 Evo 500GB (MacOS) {2} Samsung 970 Pro 512GB (W10) {3} Inland Premium 1TB (Storage)
{Keyboard} Corsair K70 RGB MK2 Blues {Mouse} Logitech G502
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:40 PM
Water-cooler

Rep: 45 (Unique: 39)
I went ahead and ordered the whole kit for the 9900k. I figured since I have a pretty good clocker the extra temp headroom will help for benchmarking.

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
ObiwanShinobi

Rep: 0
Thanks for the awesome advice guys

I think i'll start off by water-cooling with a custom loop, and then I'll see where my temps are at. I has a 2070 super which I can only get +1100mhz memory clock and 100mhz core atm and gets to 80C during benchmarking so I'm hoping that a full custom loop will help me get more GPU headroom as well. the 9900k thermally throttles like a mofo and honestly my air cooler aint too good for it but I don't wanna waste money on something else to get me by until I get a waterloop in. It's been about 5 years since I uilt a waterloop and I decided soft black rubber tubing is the way to go for me without all those stupid RGB parts.

So I'm gunna have to get a lian li dynamic o11D case soon which is like 140-200 depending on if I want the XL or not, but theres a craigslist add for a non XL for 75 I might pick out. currently trying to decide on the waterblock for GPU I guess a corsair is going to have to do because I hate the look of the bitspower lotan and microcenter only has that for 2080FE version sadly

I got both a D5 and DDC from a friend and two EKWB 5 year old cpu blocks I gotta clean up, I think he burned out the DDC and the D5 mighjt be okay im hoping, gotta hooke a PSU up to them and see if they run later haha, he might give me a radiator as well, I think a 240 would be fine for my GPU and I want a 360 for sure for my cpu.

if I can get a little more headroom with just a waterloop, I might hold off on the delidding for quite a while, just pisses me off how hard this cpu is to cool haha but step 1 is getting water-cooling to work. funny thing is direct die with a 50 dollar air cooler might be just as good but honestly the idea of messing up a $500 chip scares me enough to try water-cooling first lol
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 06:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Just pay silicon lottery to delid it. It forces them to take liability if something goes wrong. It's slightly more expensive than buying the delidding tool yourself and risking damaging your cpu. Just pay them to do it so you can hold them accountable if anything goes wrong since they offer a free replacement chip if they **** up.

RGB increases FPS!
(6 items)
CPU
Motherboard
z390 Aorus [email protected]
GPU
Aorus 2080Ti Xtreme [email protected]/8000
RAM
4x8GB [email protected]/4133
Cooling
NZXT Kraken X72
Monitor
Alienware AW2518HF 1080p/240Hz
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in