XPost from General -2600K vs. Xeon E3 1280 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

XPost from General -2600K vs. Xeon E3 1280

 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
djleakyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eagan, Minnestoa
Posts: 316
Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
XPost from General -2600K vs. Xeon E3 1280

***Cross posting from General, unsure how many will see it there***

Howdy Folks,

Kind of an odd question. I am trying to build a PC with the express purpose of running a few older games & when it comes out, Halo CE....That's pretty much it. I have a GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB (4x4) of EVGA DDR3 1600MHz, a Gigabyte Z68P-DS3, an SSD, an old CX500, and a Corsair 200R to use. I am getting a steal of a deal on a GTX 1060 6GB, a good deal on RAM, and I have to buy a cooler adapter; thats where $178 of my build has gone. Everything else I have sitting around. Here is the actual crux of my question.....

Will it be worth it to spend the extra $25 on the i7 2600K over the Xeon E3 1280. For those that aren't ultra familiar, the E3 1280 is a SB 32nm 3.5GHz 4c/8t socket 1155 CPU, very VERY close to a 2700K in terms of architecture but has a locked multiplier (duh). Will I be able to make up the extra $25 spent with an OC? I have a Corsair H110 cooler sitting around that would work, so it can get some decent cooling. I am only trying to get 1080P with 60+ FPS on a 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 display, no 1440 or 4K interest whatsoever. I have too much invested into my displays to update those anytime soon (reference panels for work).

The total cost of this build is $228 with the Xeon E3 1280, with the 2600K is is $253.

Thanks in advance.

1994 Audi Ur-S4, 300K, Stage 2 TAP chip, Emerald on Ecru.
2001 Audi S8 Quattro, 6M/T conversion, 175K, 4.2 5V V8, stock
2010 Saab 9-3 SS, 54K Miles, 6 Speed Manual. Full bolt on stage 3: Intake, 3" downpipe, 3" exhaust, Evo 8/9 FMIC with 2" piping.
2009 Saab 9-5 SportCombi, 2.3T, 5 Speed Manual, 190K miles.. stage 1.
Ryzen Workstation
(15 items)
Budget Xeon Build
(8 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700X
Motherboard
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon AM4
GPU
ASUS GTX 1070 8GB OC Edition
RAM
G.Skil TridentZ 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Hard Drive
Intel 750 Series 400GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200 512 GB
Hard Drive
3TB Western Digital
Power Supply
PC Power & Cooling 600 Watt Mk 3
Cooling
Corsair H110i
Case
Fractal Design R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Steelseries Sensei
Mouse
Corsair Mouse Mat
Audio
Senheiser HD 280 Pro
CPU
Intel Xeon E3 1245 v2
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77 DS3H
GPU
ASUS GTX 1060 GB
RAM
16GB DDR3 EVGA 1600MHz Kit
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair CX500
Cooling
Corsair H110
Case
Corsair 200R
▲ hide details ▲
djleakyg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:29 AM
Da Boss
 
NexusRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,821
Rep: 149 (Unique: 126)
For something that old, I'd just nab the 2600k. Because it's unlocked, you can clock it up and eeek out extra performance, unlocked the locked E3 1280.
I also see that you are an Euro import kind of guy. I'll put it to that terms. Would you buy an S8 Quattro with a built engine, using stock turbos, or spend a bit more and get the same built engine, but with upgraded turbos and a boost controller?
NexusRed is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
djleakyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eagan, Minnestoa
Posts: 316
Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post
For something that old, I'd just nab the 2600k. Because it's unlocked, you can clock it up and eeek out extra performance, unlocked the locked E3 1280.
I also see that you are an Euro import kind of guy. I'll put it to that terms. Would you buy an S8 Quattro with a built engine, using stock turbos, or spend a bit more and get the same built engine, but with upgraded turbos and a boost controller?
Yeah I opted for the 2700K, I found one for $60. This is just going to be a side rig that doesn't see much use, my Mac Pro is my workhorse. This Gigabyte board will probably **** the bed so I am hoping to get a couple hundred MHz for free out of it. I haven't OC'd on Z68 in YEARS. What do you think I can squeek out for free? 4.3? 4.5? I'll have a Corsair H110 held on with zipties.

I am assuming you are talking about the D4 S8 Quattro. I don't know a whole lot about the D4 cars and the 4.0T in general BUT I do know that the turbos on those like to **** out. If price is no object, go for the one that has the built engine on stock turbos, save up and buy the IROZ RS7 upgrade turbo kit (believe it or not thats actually cheaper by about 2-3K) and you will get more power and a lot more reliability. The turbos being the valley of the V doesn't do a whole lot for their longevity so you may be replacing them sooner than later. Unless you are really ambitious, don't do the work yourself. I am swapping intake manifolds on my D2 S8Q right now & in the process of building another UrS4....those are child's play compared to the D4. It's very very tricky. I really want to like the D4 cars because they are dummy quick but I can't work on them....too busy. Built block will be a better...(ugh i hate this word)...INVESTMENT...there I said it. Built block will always be more worth it in the long run.

1994 Audi Ur-S4, 300K, Stage 2 TAP chip, Emerald on Ecru.
2001 Audi S8 Quattro, 6M/T conversion, 175K, 4.2 5V V8, stock
2010 Saab 9-3 SS, 54K Miles, 6 Speed Manual. Full bolt on stage 3: Intake, 3" downpipe, 3" exhaust, Evo 8/9 FMIC with 2" piping.
2009 Saab 9-5 SportCombi, 2.3T, 5 Speed Manual, 190K miles.. stage 1.
Ryzen Workstation
(15 items)
Budget Xeon Build
(8 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700X
Motherboard
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon AM4
GPU
ASUS GTX 1070 8GB OC Edition
RAM
G.Skil TridentZ 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Hard Drive
Intel 750 Series 400GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200 512 GB
Hard Drive
3TB Western Digital
Power Supply
PC Power & Cooling 600 Watt Mk 3
Cooling
Corsair H110i
Case
Fractal Design R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Steelseries Sensei
Mouse
Corsair Mouse Mat
Audio
Senheiser HD 280 Pro
CPU
Intel Xeon E3 1245 v2
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77 DS3H
GPU
ASUS GTX 1060 GB
RAM
16GB DDR3 EVGA 1600MHz Kit
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair CX500
Cooling
Corsair H110
Case
Corsair 200R
▲ hide details ▲
djleakyg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:54 AM
Da Boss
 
NexusRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,821
Rep: 149 (Unique: 126)
Quote: Originally Posted by djleakyg View Post
Yeah I opted for the 2700K, I found one for $60. This is just going to be a side rig that doesn't see much use, my Mac Pro is my workhorse. This Gigabyte board will probably **** the bed so I am hoping to get a couple hundred MHz for free out of it. I haven't OC'd on Z68 in YEARS. What do you think I can squeek out for free? 4.3? 4.5? I'll have a Corsair H110 held on with zipties.

I am assuming you are talking about the D4 S8 Quattro. I don't know a whole lot about the D4 cars and the 4.0T in general BUT I do know that the turbos on those like to **** out. If price is no object, go for the one that has the built engine on stock turbos, save up and buy the IROZ RS7 upgrade turbo kit (believe it or not thats actually cheaper by about 2-3K) and you will get more power and a lot more reliability. The turbos being the valley of the V doesn't do a whole lot for their longevity so you may be replacing them sooner than later. Unless you are really ambitious, don't do the work yourself. I am swapping intake manifolds on my D2 S8Q right now & in the process of building another UrS4....those are child's play compared to the D4. It's very very tricky. I really want to like the D4 cars because they are dummy quick but I can't work on them....too busy. Built block will be a better...(ugh i hate this word)...INVESTMENT...there I said it. Built block will always be more worth it in the long run.
Yeaa.... I wasn't actually looking to talk about cars TBH lol. I was just using it as an example. The S8 Quattro I was referring to was the one in your sig.
No idea how high you can clock it. Every chip is different, plus there are a bunch of other variables. Hit up the ole Google and see what the average overclock is and push for that. Best advice I can give ya on this.
NexusRed is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
djleakyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eagan, Minnestoa
Posts: 316
Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post
Yeaa.... I wasn't actually looking to talk about cars TBH lol. I was just using it as an example. The S8 Quattro I was referring to was the one in your sig.
No idea how high you can clock it. Every chip is different, plus there are a bunch of other variables. Hit up the ole Google and see what the average overclock is and push for that. Best advice I can give ya on this.
HAhahahaha Gothca! No worries mate. Sadly my S8 is NA. It's the AYS or AQH 40V V8 so I am stuck at 370HP pretty much unless I want to get a PEZ stage 2 blower which is stupid money. Anywayyyyyy.....

Yeah I am guessing I should be able to crush 4GHz easy. I had a 2500K & a 3570K back in the day but that was almost ten years ago now....really stretching my memory. I got the board for free, the chip was $60, and i really have nothing to lose lol.

1994 Audi Ur-S4, 300K, Stage 2 TAP chip, Emerald on Ecru.
2001 Audi S8 Quattro, 6M/T conversion, 175K, 4.2 5V V8, stock
2010 Saab 9-3 SS, 54K Miles, 6 Speed Manual. Full bolt on stage 3: Intake, 3" downpipe, 3" exhaust, Evo 8/9 FMIC with 2" piping.
2009 Saab 9-5 SportCombi, 2.3T, 5 Speed Manual, 190K miles.. stage 1.
Ryzen Workstation
(15 items)
Budget Xeon Build
(8 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700X
Motherboard
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon AM4
GPU
ASUS GTX 1070 8GB OC Edition
RAM
G.Skil TridentZ 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Hard Drive
Intel 750 Series 400GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200 512 GB
Hard Drive
3TB Western Digital
Power Supply
PC Power & Cooling 600 Watt Mk 3
Cooling
Corsair H110i
Case
Fractal Design R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Steelseries Sensei
Mouse
Corsair Mouse Mat
Audio
Senheiser HD 280 Pro
CPU
Intel Xeon E3 1245 v2
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77 DS3H
GPU
ASUS GTX 1060 GB
RAM
16GB DDR3 EVGA 1600MHz Kit
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair CX500
Cooling
Corsair H110
Case
Corsair 200R
▲ hide details ▲
djleakyg is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Da Boss
 
NexusRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,821
Rep: 149 (Unique: 126)
Quote: Originally Posted by djleakyg View Post
HAhahahaha Gothca! No worries mate. Sadly my S8 is NA. It's the AYS or AQH 40V V8 so I am stuck at 370HP pretty much unless I want to get a PEZ stage 2 blower which is stupid money. Anywayyyyyy.....

Yeah I am guessing I should be able to crush 4GHz easy. I had a 2500K & a 3570K back in the day but that was almost ten years ago now....really stretching my memory. I got the board for free, the chip was $60, and i really have nothing to lose lol.
Just make sure your cooler is up to the task is the other thing I would recommend.
NexusRed is offline  
Reply

Tags
2600k , core i7 , sandy bridge , xeon

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off