Intel i9-9900KF, BSODs, voltage and fans working overtime - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Intel i9-9900KF, BSODs, voltage and fans working overtime

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Intel i9-9900KF, BSODs, voltage and fans working overtime

As the title suggests I've been having a tough time getting stability with my latest rig.

The full set up:
- ASUS Maximus XI Code
- Intel i9-9900KF
- Cryorig CR-C1 C1 Cooler
- 64GB RAM (2xG.Skill F4-3733C17D-32GTZR)
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
- ASUS ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GDDR6
- Cooler Master V-series 850W Gold Modular PSU
- Antec DF500 RGB Mid Tower ATX Case
- 2x Corsair CO-9050068-WW HD140 fans, mounted at the top of the case

Running Windows 10 under the stock settings (i.e. no overclock, just OOB) I was getting frequent BSODs including:
- CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
- IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
- WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

After several days of investigation I discovered the problem was caused by insufficient voltage to the CPU. The automatic voltage selected by the motherboard was nowhere near enough to run the 9900KF at 3.60GHz (I recall it was ~0.7v).

Since manually setting the voltage to 1.12v I've been stable, and a stable clocking to 5GHz seems to require around requires 1.35v. However, 1.35v is generating a lot more heat, but surely my air cooling (on low fan RPM) is more than sufficient, but the fan speeds crank up to maximum across the CPU fan and chassis fans which makes this quiet rig sound like a jet engine in reverse thrust.

I appreciate the temperatures of the 9900KF are high; but the idle package temperature of ~45c and a stress test making it reach 90c+ smacks of something not being quite right.

I surely cannot be alone in the undervolting situation, and equally cannot be alone in the battle to keep a similar system cool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 422 (Unique: 295)
Quote: Originally Posted by PeteJUK View Post
As the title suggests I've been having a tough time getting stability with my latest rig.

The full set up:
- ASUS Maximus XI Code
- Intel i9-9900KF
- Cryorig CR-C1 C1 Cooler
- 64GB RAM (2xG.Skill F4-3733C17D-32GTZR)
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
- ASUS ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GDDR6
- Cooler Master V-series 850W Gold Modular PSU
- Antec DF500 RGB Mid Tower ATX Case
- 2x Corsair CO-9050068-WW HD140 fans, mounted at the top of the case

Running Windows 10 under the stock settings (i.e. no overclock, just OOB) I was getting frequent BSODs including:
- CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
- IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
- WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

After several days of investigation I discovered the problem was caused by insufficient voltage to the CPU. The automatic voltage selected by the motherboard was nowhere near enough to run the 9900KF at 3.60GHz (I recall it was ~0.7v).

Since manually setting the voltage to 1.12v I've been stable, and a stable clocking to 5GHz seems to require around requires 1.35v. However, 1.35v is generating a lot more heat, but surely my air cooling (on low fan RPM) is more than sufficient, but the fan speeds crank up to maximum across the CPU fan and chassis fans which makes this quiet rig sound like a jet engine in reverse thrust.

I appreciate the temperatures of the 9900KF are high; but the idle package temperature of ~45c and a stress test making it reach 90c+ smacks of something not being quite right.

I surely cannot be alone in the undervolting situation, and equally cannot be alone in the battle to keep a similar system cool?
If your CPU BSOD's at stock, it's defective and needs to be RMA'd.

Default voltage at 3.6 ghz is *NOT* 0.7v. You may be thinking of C-states which will reduce idle voltage to 0.6v-0.7v and the CPU downclocking. It's hard to troubleshoot when people have c-states enabled because if a CPU runs at 800 mhz or base clocks at idle and 4.7 ghz at load, there's no way to know what their actual voltages really are. And if a 9900KF needs 1.12v to run 3.6 ghz it's defective. My 9900k can run that at 4.5 ghz. the 9900KF should not be running at 3.6 ghz anyway. It should be running at 4.7 ghz at stock unless you disable turbo boost. C-states will cause downclocking to 800 mhz at idle and about 0.7v. If your CPU is running at 3.6 ghz it's being power limit throttled as that's the base clock (turbo disabled).

Also is that load voltage or idle voltage you are talking about? There's a big difference between 1.12v idle and 1.12v load.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I really appreciate your comments with a comparitive environment.

The voltage I refer to is the load voltage. Right now as I type this message the manual voltage is 1.120v and the reported CPU core Voltage is 1.101 at a speed of 3600MHz, and is stable.

The reported voltage of <1v may well have been during idle state so please ignore that.

As you say, needing at least 1.12v to be stable at stock isn't right. I experimented and 1.12v with stock was stable, 1.11v resulted in a lockup shortly after applying and needed a reboot. After just trying a test with 4.5GHz at 1.12v it BSOD'd within seconds after logging in to Windows with a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

I was suspicous of the CPU from the start, and do have time for a return/replacement from Amazon. I know it's the luck of the draw sometimes with CPUs but I will be seeking a replacement here.

With that in mind I guess the CPU fan and case fans were being overworked for nothing really?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

I really appreciate your comments with a comparitive environment.

The voltage I refer to is the load voltage. Right now as I type this message the manual voltage is 1.120v and the reported CPU core Voltage is 1.101 at a speed of 3600MHz, and is stable.

The reported voltage of <1v may well have been during idle state so please ignore that.

As you say, needing at least 1.12v to be stable at stock isn't right. I experimented and 1.12v with stock was stable, 1.11v resulted in a lockup shortly after applying and needed a reboot. After just trying a test with 4.5GHz at 1.12v it BSOD'd within seconds after logging in to Windows with a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

I was suspicous of the CPU from the start, and do have time for a return/replacement from Amazon. I know it's the luck of the draw sometimes with CPUs but I will be seeking a replacement here.

With that in mind I guess the CPU fan and case fans were being overworked for nothing really?
I'm really not sure at all, I can't answer that as I have a Gigabyte board.

But I can tell you, since you have a Maximus XI, your vcore sensor measures voltages accurately within 16 mv disregarding transients which cannot be measured on sensors (just like VR VOUT on other boards, except that's coming from the VRM chip directly within 2mv accuracy, again disregarding transients), but 1.12v at 3.6 ghz is just plain utterly not right. Was that chip new? Did it look used or partially used?

My 9900k is FMA3 prime95 small FFT stable at 4.7 ghz at 1.12v load. At 3.6 ghz, you should be able to run prime95 at 1.0v load voltage or even lower. If I'm not mistaken, the "default VID" (when AC/DC Loadline (SVID Behavior= Typical in your Asus bios, with IA AC and IA DC both set to Auto) are set to Intel spec) at 3.6 ghz should be at or below 1.0v with the CPU "VID" measured at idle in HWInfo64. So needing HIGHER than the base VID to be stable screams very, very defective CPU to me.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Last edited by Falkentyne; 01-18-2020 at 03:26 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The processor appeared new with the Intel seal on the packaging. I've been in touch with Amazon who suggested thermal paste re-application, and in order to proceed with a replacement I need to go through their motions. My heart of hearts screams defective CPU. With regards to the motherboard, it may be/as well defective :/

Running at 4.7GHz at 1.12 seems outrageous to me (in a good way!). What sort of temperatures is that and what cooling do you have? Have you gone 5+GHz?

What's reassured me is that there are users out there who do have success with the same hardware and are willing to support us with our ailments, so thank you!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 06:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

The processor appeared new with the Intel seal on the packaging. I've been in touch with Amazon who suggested thermal paste re-application, and in order to proceed with a replacement I need to go through their motions. My heart of hearts screams defective CPU. With regards to the motherboard, it may be/as well defective :/

Running at 4.7GHz at 1.12 seems outrageous to me (in a good way!). What sort of temperatures is that and what cooling do you have? Have you gone 5+GHz?

What's reassured me is that there are users out there who do have success with the same hardware and are willing to support us with our ailments, so thank you!
That's not outrageous. It's average. Most P0 stepping chips could do reasonably close to that, with some able to do sub 1.10v.

It's a P0 stepping so 5 ghz isn't hard unlike R0 chips that are a huge lottery from the 9900KS binning (P0 chips were in the full lottery range. R0 chips were mostly binned with many of the best samples as KS chips).
However KF chips (regardless of stepping) should have close to the normal lottery for 5 ghz. But I suspect you're probably looking at the wrong voltages/speeds, because if your chip needed 1.12v just to do 3.6 ghz, there is absolutely no way you would be able to do 5 ghz at any voltage.

Are you sure you are looking at the right settings?
If your BIOS is at defaults, then it's set to 4.7 ghz, not 3.6 ghz unless you DISABLE turbo boost. You should look in your BIOS and look at the multiplier settings.

4.7 ghz @ 1.12v is not bios voltage. That's load voltage. Equal to 1.235v Bios set voltage + Loadline Calibration "High". Drops down to 1.12v at full load (Prime95). About 75-76C core temps max with 7C deltas.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 47)
I also have a 9900kf and an Asus board, although I have a cheaper TUFF edition compared to the nice one you got. Voltages have been the hardest thing to pin down. I finally gave up and set everything to manual to keep temps / volts and wattage under control. Auto, offset, adaptive would all spike over 1.4V no matter what settings I changed to control it. Tried disabling Asus multicore enhancement, adjust LLC etc.... still kept spiking over 1.4.

I ended up changing the per core max to 47 on each variation "since it's the max all core boost anyways stock", 1.23V manual voltage, left C states and everything on, 1.24V on the VCCIO / SA because it was pushing that over 1.3 on auto. And now max temps reach into the lower to 70C range during gaming compared to almost 90C when everything was auto under my Noctua NH-U14S and almost silent fan settings. My settings may not be the best but it works for now.

Also have you done the Q-fan tuning under the monitor tab in bios? I ran that and then made my manual adjustments to each fan. If you have a fan plugged into the AIO fan header on the motherboard, you will need to select auto for that fan in bios and then adjust it manually, until I did that, it was running at like 100% non stop.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi all,

Just to follow up on this:

I replaced the thermal compound and reset all the system settings in BIOS to stock. Within minutes I BSOD'd with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I've rebooted a few times and between subsequent BSODs and lockups I was able to grab some screen shots from the Asus AI Suite (1.png and 2.png).

In order to actually open Chrome and write this reply I manually bump the voltage up to 1.345v (3.png) and I'm stable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	18
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	320358  

Name:	2.png
Views:	16
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	320360  

Name:	3.png
Views:	13
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	320364  

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 01:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hi all,

Just to follow up on this:

I replaced the thermal compound and reset all the system settings in BIOS to stock. Within minutes I BSOD'd with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I've rebooted a few times and between subsequent BSODs and lockups I was able to grab some screen shots from the Asus AI Suite (1.png and 2.png).

In order to actually open Chrome and write this reply I manually bump the voltage up to 1.345v (3.png) and I'm stable.
RMA the CPU.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quick update on this --

The CPU was replaced and the problem still exists.

The only remaining suspect component is the motherboard so will be contacting Asus.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in