Why doesn't Intel make an updated Broadwell 5775c? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Why doesn't Intel make an updated Broadwell 5775c?

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 09:03 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 222 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
What about petitioning Intel to make an updated eDRAM CPU like the 5775c? There seem to be a lot of 5775c fans out there.
too small of a minority, retooling an entire line would cost them months of delay, amounting to hundreds of millions in expenses and losses.
where as a few hundred thousand potential buyers means they only get to earn scrap from each.

to point out, its also one of the reasons why AMD stopped making HBM consumer GPUs, the high cost and low profit margin wasn't making it feasible.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.

Last edited by epic1337; 02-13-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 47)
What about petitioning Intel to make an updated eDRAM CPU like the 5775c?
Dunno, maybe instead of eDRAM using eSRAM, or more L3 cache would be better. In the early days of the Pentium processors some of the mainboard's came with a slot to add cache for the processor. I seem to remember using a 512k module at one time and it being SRAM. Then again my memory is really bad so who knows . With the i7-6800k I have, smartcache technology was introduced which means L3 can be divided up between cores to give some cores more L3 than others but I don't know if there's software that actually makes use of this.

Quote: Originally Posted by rluker5 View Post
my 4980hq is capped at 4.6,4.5,4.4,4.4
It's standard to have a top ratio limit of 46x however there's a bug that enables it to be changed higher, not something the BIOS would do unless modded and XTU wouldn't want to help. The microcode patch fixes the bug.

Here you can see the 4980HQ running with 49x ratio.

Note the presence of TSX indicates that no microcode patch has been loaded. TSX was disabled by early microcode patch due to some problems with it on the Haswell platform. It's not a big deal though for operation with ambient cooling especially given that the BCLK straps work also.

BIOS usually contains a number of microcode patches for different steppings and maybe different families. On the Z97 I have there isn't a patch for the i7-4980HQ but the board will post without one, however I replaced an early Haswell stepping which was the same size as the ver 0x17 patch for the i7-4980HQ. I've never had any ES processors so no need for those early stepping patches although it might be interesting to see what differences there might be between production and ES.

So technically you might not need a processor microcode update patch to post depending what problems exist in it's unpatched state, earlier steppings are likely to be more prone to needing a patch update.

For 8 series and BDW you would likely need Management Engine firmware patching as well as probably having to modify the BIOS to handle the specific CPUID of the processor and any extra functions, if wanted.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 07:56 AM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 51 (Unique: 38)
Quote: Originally Posted by ucode View Post
Dunno, maybe instead of eDRAM using eSRAM, or more L3 cache would be better. In the early days of the Pentium processors some of the mainboard's came with a slot to add cache for the processor. I seem to remember using a 512k module at one time and it being SRAM. Then again my memory is really bad so who knows . With the i7-6800k I have, smartcache technology was introduced which means L3 can be divided up between cores to give some cores more L3 than others but I don't know if there's software that actually makes use of this.

It's standard to have a top ratio limit of 46x however there's a bug that enables it to be changed higher, not something the BIOS would do unless modded and XTU wouldn't want to help. The microcode patch fixes the bug.

Here you can see the 4980HQ running with 49x ratio.

Note the presence of TSX indicates that no microcode patch has been loaded. TSX was disabled by early microcode patch due to some problems with it on the Haswell platform. It's not a big deal though for operation with ambient cooling especially given that the BCLK straps work also.

BIOS usually contains a number of microcode patches for different steppings and maybe different families. On the Z97 I have there isn't a patch for the i7-4980HQ but the board will post without one, however I replaced an early Haswell stepping which was the same size as the ver 0x17 patch for the i7-4980HQ. I've never had any ES processors so no need for those early stepping patches although it might be interesting to see what differences there might be between production and ES.

So technically you might not need a processor microcode update patch to post depending what problems exist in it's unpatched state, earlier steppings are likely to be more prone to needing a patch update.

For 8 series and BDW you would likely need Management Engine firmware patching as well as probably having to modify the BIOS to handle the specific CPUID of the processor and any extra functions, if wanted.
My h81 booted the 4980hq just fine without a patch as well, but I had windows 1803 and newer on that Mobo/cpu combo the whole time I've had it so it has always been patched. I'll try removing the mcupdate.dll to see if I can get unlocked. Don't think my 4980hq will be able to but 4.9 like yours though, that's pretty good.

Thanks for answering my question about the broadwell compatibility. I didn't think it would be easy or else somebody would have done it.

L5
(17 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
8 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
1Tb Team ssd
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, HE4xx, DT990pro w b.boost earpads
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
8Gb 1600 samsung
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 05:23 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3140 (Unique: 1873)
I really wish I had bought a 5775c system instead of my 5820k system.
The 5820K is a faster all-round part and should even be doing better in most modern games. There will certainly be some exceptions though.

Also some software will benefit more than others, Winrar shows this well.
Archival software in general and WinRAR in particular is phenomenally latency and cache sensitive. It's about the best case scenario test you'll see for something like this.

Dunno, maybe instead of eDRAM using eSRAM, or more L3 cache would be better. In the early days of the Pentium processors some of the mainboard's came with a slot to add cache for the processor. I seem to remember using a 512k module at one time and it being SRAM.
Cache is traditionally SRAM, which is faster and more power efficient (relative to a given performance level) than DRAM because it doesn't need to be refreshed. However, SRAM is also much less dense (traditionally it takes six times as many transistors to for a given capacity of SRAM), which is one of the big reasons eDRAM was used as an alternative.

Making cache's bigger has a lot of trade-offs. Die size ballons and, all other things being equal, a larger cache will need to be higher latency to achieve the same yields.

And yes, older CPUs had back-side buses for connecting external cache to the CPU. This was largely abandoned because integrated caches could be much faster.

I still have a K6-III+ setup with 2MiB of L3 cache on the motherboard (soldered in this case, but some did come on SIMMs).

With the i7-6800k I have, smartcache technology was introduced which means L3 can be divided up between cores to give some cores more L3 than others but I don't know if there's software that actually makes use of this.
All the cores have access to all of the L3.

Cache is also entirely transparent to most software. The CPU itself decides what to keep and what to evict, and the CPUs always check lower cache levels before moving on to higher ones, or the main memory.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 01:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 47)
Quote: Originally Posted by rluker5 View Post
I didn't think it would be easy or else somebody would have done it.
A closer look shows some hardware modification may be necessary too due to some special standby state, setting up some pins. So yes, not easy at all.

BTW that 4.9GHz wasn't a 24/7 OC, just for demonstration. TBH though I was hoping for something better with it being a $600 CPU when launched.

Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
All the cores have access to all of the L3.
SOP but with Cache Allocation Technology that can be changed. This article is a nice example.
http://www.belvederetrading.com/blog...hing-around-me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in