BIOS option: specific per-core overclocking - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

BIOS option: specific per-core overclocking

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
BIOS option: specific per-core overclocking

I've been looking at this option for my 9700k on a Asrock Taichi z390. It looks like it'll enable me to set the maximum multiplier for each of my 8 cores. Very few of the games I regularly play use more than a 75% load for any particular core and then only for a few cores out of the 8. I was thinking of targeting the best 4 cores and pushing them to the maximum frequency I can get while letting the lousy cores stay at their default multiplier. Would this enable me to get a higher frequency out of those better cores? For example, if cores 0, 2, 5, 7 are the best cores could I potentially get more than 5.12 Ghz. out of them if I leave all the other cores at their default multipliers?

If I were to pick the cores the generate the least temperatures when running a stress test like orthos or prime95 would that be the cores that are the best candidates for preferentially overclocking? Or should I look at the VID's used for individual cores and pick the ones that commonly use the lowest VID's?

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 09:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Even though this is a Haswell guide it seems like a good way of testing the cores individually.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...JPN9WmH7Hgj9sS

Computer Specs: i7-4790K (4.8Ghz), GA-Z87X-UD5H, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 2133, Gigabyte GTX 1070, Corsair TX850M 850 Watt Gold, Noctua NH-D14, Phantom NZXT 410, Dell P2414HB Monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speakers, Ducky Shine DK9008 Keyboard, Zowie Gear FK2 Mouse.

OS: Dual Boot - Mac OS X Sierra & Windows 10 http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The haswell guide is a good start but the BIOS on my Asrock z390 has an option for setting per core multiplier so I can set all the maximum multipliers for all the cores independently of one another. There is a separate option for setting the multiplier based on the number of cores loaded (i.e. 1 core ratio limit, 2 core ratio limit, 3 core ratio limit, 4 core ratio limit etc.).

I was thinking of looking at the temps and vids of cores in HWinfo while running a stress test and determining what my strongest cores were from that data (the lowest temps and lowest vid's to get to a set frequency on all cores).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 11:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
The haswell guide is a good start but the BIOS on my Asrock z390 has an option for setting per core multiplier so I can set all the maximum multipliers for all the cores independently of one another. There is a separate option for setting the multiplier based on the number of cores loaded (i.e. 1 core ratio limit, 2 core ratio limit, 3 core ratio limit, 4 core ratio limit etc.).

I was thinking of looking at the temps and vids of cores in HWinfo while running a stress test and determining what my strongest cores were from that data (the lowest temps and lowest vid's to get to a set frequency on all cores).
So finding the maximum multiplier for the cores is different that setting the "Uncore Ratio" as you can see on my Gigabyte MB. As in the video I would test first: "No. of CPU Cores Enabled" to "1", then running a stress test for to see the maximum it can run at? Then proceed to enabling core 2, test, core 3, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3_CPU_CORE_SETTINGS.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	462.9 KB
ID:	344666  

Computer Specs: i7-4790K (4.8Ghz), GA-Z87X-UD5H, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 2133, Gigabyte GTX 1070, Corsair TX850M 850 Watt Gold, Noctua NH-D14, Phantom NZXT 410, Dell P2414HB Monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speakers, Ducky Shine DK9008 Keyboard, Zowie Gear FK2 Mouse.

OS: Dual Boot - Mac OS X Sierra & Windows 10 http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I wanted to select a multiplier for each individual core. The strange thing is, I managed to get it to limit the maximum multiplier used on a per-core basis -- the highest multipliers I selected for the various 8 cores did determine the limit to which each core would boost, but the Max Turbo Limit in HWiNFO kept kicking in under the Performance Limit Reasons and limiting my multiplier to the lowest multiplier I set for the rest of the cores. So it would occasionally boost to the highest multiplier that I set for some cores, but only under no load conditions and only for short periods of time. So it was a bust.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:34 AM
Facepalm

Rep: 440 (Unique: 306)
I wanted to select a multiplier for each individual core. The strange thing is, I managed to get it to limit the maximum multiplier used on a per-core basis -- the highest multipliers I selected for the various 8 cores did determine the limit to which each core would boost, but the Max Turbo Limit in HWiNFO kept kicking in under the Performance Limit Reasons and limiting my multiplier to the lowest multiplier I set for the rest of the cores. So it would occasionally boost to the highest multiplier that I set for some cores, but only under no load conditions and only for short periods of time. So it was a bust.
You have to combine this with setting affinity for windows processes. You are going to be limited by the lowest ratio if all cores get loaded at once.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 11:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 203 (Unique: 168)
I wanted to select a multiplier for each individual core.
The 9700K uses Intel Turbo Boost 2.0

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-4-90-ghz.html

The BIOS will let you select what multiplier your CPU uses based on how many cores are active. The 9700K does not allow you to run different multipliers on different CPU cores.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post

The BIOS will let you select what multiplier your CPU uses based on how many cores are active. The 9700K does not allow you to run different multipliers on different CPU cores.
Then HWiNFO was incorrectly reporting multipliers, because the highest multipliers I individually set on some cores were occasionally used and only on those cores. Why would the BIOS indicate such options if they weren't available?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 04:03 PM
Facepalm

Rep: 440 (Unique: 306)
Quote: Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post

You can't run different multipliers on different CPU cores, but you can limit the maximum multiplier a core can reach. This is an undocumented feature. This will NOT allow any core to run at a different multiplier than any other core when those specific cores are loaded--If only some cores are loaded, the loaded cores will all run at the lowest multiplier among those specific cores.

This is also known as "favored cores", and is actually documented on 10th gen and apparently should work better with the windows task scheduler than 9th gen.

This feature is basically completely useless on 9th gen unless you are using process affinity. This can actually work as expected in Prime95. Cinebench, not so much.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

According to HWiNFO when I was playing Dying Light and DX:Mankind Divided the cores I had set to the maximum multiplier of 47x were boosting to the 47x multiplier while all the other cores were only boosting to the maximum multiplier I had set for them, 46x. So during this gaming run, some cores were running a 47x multiplier while others were only running a 46x multiplier -- according to HWiNFO. The same data was confirmed by the clock speeds seen during this gaming run, the cores set to use a maximum 47x multiplier was boosting to 5224 Mhz. while the other cores stayed at 5134Mhz. From what I saw in Afterburner the boosts to the 47x multiplier were sporadic and brief. I was using the high performance power profile.

I followed Falkentyne's suggestion and tried setting core affinity for GTAIV to the 4 best cores of my 9700k that had the higher multiplier set, once I did this the frequency with which those cores boosted to a higher multiplier than the other cores increased -- at least according to afterburner and HWiNFO.

Last edited by 8051; 05-22-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in