4790k stable @4.8 but are my BIOS settings OK! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

4790k stable @4.8 but are my BIOS settings OK!

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
4790k stable @4.8 but are my BIOS settings OK!

I decided to leave the comforts of 4.6ghz and strive for 4.8ghz on air! Another change I made was to turn off the "Power Saving Options" and "Voltage Offset" (use a static voltage).

Is there anything that stands out that I could change in my BIOS to get even better temperatures/performance.

Temps are under 75c when stress testing and a game I play has never run so smooth, getting no stutter anymore which was driving me nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6_CORE_VOLTAGE.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	344316  

Name:	5_ADVANCED_POWER_SETTINGS.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	499.3 KB
ID:	344318  

Name:	4_CPU_CORE_SETTINGS.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	344320  

Name:	3_CPU_CORE_SETTINGS.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	462.9 KB
ID:	344322  

Name:	2_FREQUENCY.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	344324  

Name:	1_HOME.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	491.4 KB
ID:	344326  

Computer Specs: i7-4790K (4.8Ghz), GA-Z87X-UD5H, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 2133, Gigabyte GTX 1070, Corsair TX850M 850 Watt Gold, Noctua NH-D14, Phantom NZXT 410, Dell P2414HB Monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speakers, Ducky Shine DK9008 Keyboard, Zowie Gear FK2 Mouse.

OS: Dual Boot - Mac OS X Sierra & Windows 10 http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Last edited by Zomby Woof; 05-06-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 07:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Temps-buy a better cooler.
Performance-ramp up that voltage and multi. You still have some room in the temps,i would go 1.3v-ish and 4.9ghz.

No need for much testing in syntetic benchmarks,just use it every day and if its stable for a couple of weeks, its all good
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by fingon82 View Post
Temps-buy a better cooler.
Performance-ramp up that voltage and multi. You still have some room in the temps,i would go 1.3v-ish and 4.9ghz.

No need for much testing in syntetic benchmarks,just use it every day and if its stable for a couple of weeks, its all good
I will give that a try (1.3v-ish and 4.9ghz) and are my other BIOS settings OK moving forward.

Computer Specs: i7-4790K (4.8Ghz), GA-Z87X-UD5H, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 2133, Gigabyte GTX 1070, Corsair TX850M 850 Watt Gold, Noctua NH-D14, Phantom NZXT 410, Dell P2414HB Monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speakers, Ducky Shine DK9008 Keyboard, Zowie Gear FK2 Mouse.

OS: Dual Boot - Mac OS X Sierra & Windows 10 http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 01:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
It seems fine to me.
Can you enable C states and retain stability? If yes, do it, you dont want your cpu to idle on 1.35v for example
Also, try to reduce loadline calibration a notch
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 06:57 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 358 (Unique: 255)
Depends on your mobo as it seems a bit non standard. For example disabling Turbo on Haswell/DC per Intel specs will disable all OC as well because OC ratio is setting the turbo clock. But Gigabyte probably didn't read the specs and messed up their UEFI in that way where disabled Turbo in UEFI doesn't truly disable it.
I wouldn't use so many auto settings.

Without delid you may want to stop there. Cooling is pointless if you're already on a big cooler, you need a delid with LM to get anywhere.

No idea why you disabled all C states, sure you may not need the deepest ones but anything below C6 I would keep enabled.
LLC depends on your motherboard but in general the highest settings are overly aggressive and overshoot, you would have to measure or dig out someone's measurement/review of the board. Or check the reported voltages in HWiNFO if your board has good reporting chip.

Without knowing how much voltage each of the previous ratio steps took it's impossible to guess what voltage your next ratio may work at if at all. At these voltages it can be +0.1V for x1 extra ratio easily.

You really should test extensively with high load real workloads. The AVX and linpack burners are toasters and not that very useful other than testing cooling and how bad the Intel TIM is.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Depends on your mobo as it seems a bit non standard. For example disabling Turbo on Haswell/DC per Intel specs will disable all OC as well because OC ratio is setting the turbo clock. But Gigabyte probably didn't read the specs and messed up their UEFI in that way where disabled Turbo in UEFI doesn't truly disable it.
I wouldn't use so many auto settings.

Without delid you may want to stop there. Cooling is pointless if you're already on a big cooler, you need a delid with LM to get anywhere.

No idea why you disabled all C states, sure you may not need the deepest ones but anything below C6 I would keep enabled.
LLC depends on your motherboard but in general the highest settings are overly aggressive and overshoot, you would have to measure or dig out someone's measurement/review of the board. Or check the reported voltages in HWiNFO if your board has good reporting chip.

Without knowing how much voltage each of the previous ratio steps took it's impossible to guess what voltage your next ratio may work at if at all. At these voltages it can be +0.1V for x1 extra ratio easily.

You really should test extensively with high load real workloads. The AVX and linpack burners are toasters and not that very useful other than testing cooling and how bad the Intel TIM is.
I followed the Gigabyte OC guide on overclock.net, it showed a few scenarios for setting up the "Turbo & C States" but not much of a explanation in regards to the different combinations:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...-oc-guide.html

Decided since I was only at 1.75V, with temps well under 75c that I could leave those settings off as per the guide.

I agree with you, I also feel that I should stop here. The chip is over 6 years old and I can still play games with a mix of Epic settings & over 100 fps, so not bad in 2020.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Turbo_Modes.png
Views:	8
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	347366  

Last edited by Zomby Woof; 05-19-2020 at 05:54 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in