9900K overclock requires much less vcore that a year ago - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

9900K overclock requires much less vcore that a year ago

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
9900K overclock requires much less vcore that a year ago

I bought a 9900K just over a year ago and spent a good amount of time overclocking it. The best I could do was 5.0ghz at 1.32v. Any less voltage and prime95 would hang after 10-15 minutes. I made my peace with losing the silicon lottery and left it at that.

Fast forward to today, I transplanted my system to a new case. Everything is a the same, except for going from 2x360 radiators to 1x480 and 1x360. Temps are roughly the same, about 2C better with the new setup. I was playing around again and thought I might as well try to drop the vcore. I haven't done a full suite of tests for stability yet, but I've run prime95 for an hour at 1.28v vcore with all other settings the same. Last year that would make the system hang almost immediately.

I've been overclocking for a long time, since the Athlon XP era, but I've never seen a chip improve over time like that. There is a chance I messed up something last year, but if that's the case, I can't think what that could be.
Has anyone had this experience with the 9900K or another CPU before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 08:30 AM
Facepalm

Rep: 440 (Unique: 306)
Quote: Originally Posted by Niju View Post
I bought a 9900K just over a year ago and spent a good amount of time overclocking it. The best I could do was 5.0ghz at 1.32v. Any less voltage and prime95 would hang after 10-15 minutes. I made my peace with losing the silicon lottery and left it at that.

Fast forward to today, I transplanted my system to a new case. Everything is a the same, except for going from 2x360 radiators to 1x480 and 1x360. Temps are roughly the same, about 2C better with the new setup. I was playing around again and thought I might as well try to drop the vcore. I haven't done a full suite of tests for stability yet, but I've run prime95 for an hour at 1.28v vcore with all other settings the same. Last year that would make the system hang almost immediately.

I've been overclocking for a long time, since the Athlon XP era, but I've never seen a chip improve over time like that. There is a chance I messed up something last year, but if that's the case, I can't think what that could be.
Has anyone had this experience with the 9900K or another CPU before?
IO/SA voltages can affect HT stability. And the system shouldn't hang. You either get BSOD or L0 errors or crashes. Hangs are usually overtemp related.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
IO/SA voltages can affect HT stability. And the system shouldn't hang. You either get BSOD or L0 errors or crashes. Hangs are usually overtemp related.
Thanks that's very useful to know. I have to admit, I wrote hang, but I don't remember the actual instability behaviour I encountered last year. I'm not being very helpful, am I?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 12:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Everything is a the same, except for going from 2x360 radiators to 1x480 and 1x360.
Better cooling always help.
Or, you have a magic cpu that ages fine like a good wine, and in few years, will run at 0.00v...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I realise that I did my testing last year with an AVX offset of 3, trying to get stable with that first and then decrease the offset. In contrast, I've been using 0 AVX offset now.
Can the offset affect stability even when testing with AVX disabled in prime95?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Facepalm

Rep: 440 (Unique: 306)
I realise that I did my testing last year with an AVX offset of 3, trying to get stable with that first and then decrease the offset. In contrast, I've been using 0 AVX offset now.
Can the offset affect stability even when testing with AVX disabled in prime95?
AVX offsets will increase instability in non AVX stress tests if any background processes trigger AVX downclocks, which can happen even faster than sensors can pick it up. Even clicking the windows start menu can trigger an AVX offset downclock.
The offset triggers a worst-case transient voltage drop that is much like the voltage drops you can get from using a too aggressive loadline calibration. And cache/ring is very intolerant of transient drops.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...t=explanations

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
AVX offsets will increase instability in non AVX stress tests if any background processes trigger AVX downclocks, which can happen even faster than sensors can pick it up. Even clicking the windows start menu can trigger an AVX offset downclock.
The offset triggers a worst-case transient voltage drop that is much like the voltage drops you can get from using a too aggressive loadline calibration. And cache/ring is very intolerant of transient drops.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...t=explanations
That's a great read, thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in