6700 K OC - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

6700 K OC

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 12:29 AM
Invalid Media

Rep: 73 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by fra z View Post
Wow your temps are not bad___what were you doing to get these temps? - I'm @ 2hrs_now_P95_29.4_stress_test__temps_hottest_are__ 87_83_82_84 __from experience they don't get any hotter_1_hr_30_is_the hottest-core_even if the test carries on all day (which it won't)__

Hi
...a few sequential Cinebench 20 runs. That said, with extended P95, mid-80s C for Skylake is not 'dangerous'. My personal cut-off with 14nm is 85 C and 1.35v (both on water). Delidding might get you 5c - 7c, liquid metal another 3C or 4c (compared to MX4, per attached). Throwing a big custom cooling setup at the CPU (D5 pump, Heatkiller block, dual 360/60 rads) will get the temps down further - especially in conjunction with delidding and LM, but at the end of the day, for long P95 runs, I think you're ok 'as is'

also, you could just stop doing hour+-long P95 runs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MX4comp.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	348518  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Hi,

You are correct about the 1 hour + P95_runs_but I need to stress test the machine on the test bench - then I do Passmark Scores for some CPU_tests__I did find another stress test software yesterday - LinPack or something which one day I'll explore.

Cinebench I do have somewhere (different versions of it__so I'll look at these another time as I'm in the thick of it at the moment.

I did try RealBench, Asus to start with on my first OC but found it crashed the computer and later learned it was due to the Nvidia GPU and a bug in Asus Real Bench which put me off. Again I could look at this later but for now I'll use 29.4 P95.

What is the difference between P95 29.4 & 26.6? - I have no idea !
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK some good news and bad news.

Bad news is I've trashed a 6700 K CPU with liquid metal - it went all over the PCB - I'm sure others have done this and I think that 6700 K is gone forever !

Good news is I thought about this and de-lidded another on the basis if it goes wrong there will be no more de-lidding.

Good news is it has gone well - I've got a tool to de-lid which makes it easy - Then I decided not to touch the Intel "glue" and focus on the "die" TIM only and remove this - then I applied some Noctura - NT-H1 which has done the job.

Yesterday on the [email protected]_2_hrs_03_mins_were__87_83_82_84
today_on the de-lidded [email protected]_1_hr_45_mins_are____72_73_67_ 70 [email protected]_4438_Mhz_100.9_base_clock
minus_15_15_15_14

Liquid metal may a do a bit better but requires more effort to work with it and to let it dry off___which I will be doing a 7700 K and it's drying off now -- no more mistakes !

If I only ever trash one CPU de-lidding I'll be OK with that (but_no_more_ouch!)_it's a terrible feeling but even the smallest "dot" of liquid metal goes very far.

I've looked for the more viscous "thick" thermal paste and found this and a paste that does not "run" when heated is best with the de-lidded CPU's

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...n,5108-12.html

Last edited by fra z; 05-23-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
Hi
...a few sequential Cinebench 20 runs. That said, with extended P95, mid-80s C for Skylake is not 'dangerous'. My personal cut-off with 14nm is 85 C and 1.35v (both on water). Delidding might get you 5c - 7c, liquid metal another 3C or 4c (compared to MX4, per attached). Throwing a big custom cooling setup at the CPU (D5 pump, Heatkiller block, dual 360/60 rads) will get the temps down further - especially in conjunction with delidding and LM, but at the end of the day, for long P95 runs, I think you're ok 'as is'

also, you could just stop doing hour+-long P95 runs
Proper water cooling may be a little too much bother at the moment though it can't be ruled out at some point but not a 24/7 use in some cases.

Currently got_a_4.5 Ghz_delid_noctura_paste_78_79_75_77 _hot core to go with the 4.4 Ghz clock that's been done. This is the limit on this board but is OK - It's been a big hassle this CPU compared to IVY but it does score more highly!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 06:27 PM
Invalid Media

Proper water cooling may be a little too much bother at the moment though it can't be ruled out at some point but not a 24/7 use in some cases.

Currently got_a_4.5 Ghz_delid_noctura_paste_78_79_75_77 _hot core to go with the 4.4 Ghz clock that's been done. This is the limit on this board but is OK - It's been a big hassle this CPU compared to IVY but it does score more highly!

...so it seems the delidded 6700K w/ the spilled LM-on-PCB per your post above is ok, or did you delid another one ? Did you test out the first one ? If you act quickly enough re. cleaning, it can probably be saved
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

...so it seems the delidded 6700K w/ the spilled LM-on-PCB per your post above is ok, or did you delid another one ? Did you test out the first one ? If you act quickly enough re. cleaning, it can probably be saved
Hi, I did de-lid a 2nd 6700 K - but did not "work" the PCB in any way - eg-Intel_adhesive_remained_on_and only the die was worked gently - All is OK but careful handling needed.

The damaged CPU was cleaned etc....but did not boot - I put it into a bag and will try it again in a day or two - but I fear the LM got into the PCB? - lanes and "broke" them?

A big mistake from me - There is a little nossle that must be used which regulates the flow of LM - And make sure it is done away from the CPU until there is a "dot" to place on the CPU.

The 2nd 6700 K Noctura paste was used - !

I'm trying a 7700 K with the LM and all is done well this time, so fingers crossed!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 08:12 PM
Invalid Media

Hi, I did de-lid a 2nd 6700 K - but did not "work" the PCB in any way - eg-Intel_adhesive_remained_on_and only the die was worked gently - All is OK but careful handling needed.

The damaged CPU was cleaned etc....but did not boot - I put it into a bag and will try it again in a day or two - but I fear the LM got into the PCB? - lanes and "broke" them?

A big mistake from me - There is a little nossle that must be used which regulates the flow of LM - And make sure it is done away from the CPU until there is a "dot" to place on the CPU.

The 2nd 6700 K Noctura paste was used - !

I'm trying a 7700 K with the LM and all is done well this time, so fingers crossed!

...there's some 'pro' material to insulate PCBs from LM, but what also works is nail polish - no kidding. After delidding but before LM, carefully apply nail polish (or the pro material) onto the PCB, other than the top of the die itself. Of course, that doesn't help with actually cutting into the PCB...which I did ages back with a razor blade on a 3770K, long before custom delidding tools were available. Fortunately, I didn't hit any traces or caps, so everything still worked.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

...there's some 'pro' material to insulate PCBs from LM, but what also works is nail polish - no kidding. After delidding but before LM, carefully apply nail polish (or the pro material) onto the PCB, other than the top of the die itself. Of course, that doesn't help with actually cutting into the PCB...which I did ages back with a razor blade on a 3770K, long before custom delidding tools were available. Fortunately, I didn't hit any traces or caps, so everything still worked.
Ah it's good to be talking to another -de-lidder - This was my first. The nail polish idea is good (I've heard this elsewhere but forgot)__but__it was my howler of a mistake but not having used LM before it was a beginners mistake at delidding. Ironically the de-lid was perfect with the tool -

Sorry for repeating but....I'll leave the intel glue/adhesive untouched - work on the basis of less is more - and - only touch the die and use SCOTCH tape when applying the LM - and - keep the LM away from the CPU when trying to obtain "the dot"-like a little ball of LM-through the very fine nozzle - then mistakes can be eradicated.

I'll be doing a 7700 K OC on the delid LM next in a day or two.

Back to 6700 K - The 4.5 Ghz went well enough___which is the limit with delid/Noctura paste - and just working on the 4.0 Ghz NON-OC with lowest v_core__1.200_v__droop_to_1.104_v__approaching_4_h ours__temps__52_54_50_51.

After this I'll do a 4.2 Ghz -!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
Skylake and Kaby Lake basically require a delid. Some are better/worse than others but they're all generally pretty terrible.
Hi,

This 2nd delid was OK - I found that by NOT removing the Intel glue - for fear of damaging another CPU (though the LM knackered the 1st one)___by not removing the Intel glue - I've found that after the CPU was removed after use - The original intel glue is now as it was (almost)_and the IHS is stuck back on !!! - This is good !!!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK,

Having a better time with the Kaby Lake 7700 K - 4.6 [email protected]_1.320_v_in_bios_(6700K_needed_1.380_v)[email protected]_4.5 _Ghz

74_75_70_71_4_hr_P95_29.4_with Noctura NT-H1 on the CPU die
63_60_60_59_currently 25_min_P95_LM_Grizzly_Conductanaut_seriously unbelievable_but it's difficult to work with and some needs to go on die and on inside of IHS - But not much!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in