Overclock.net banner

9900kf only showing 4 cores?

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  philhalo66 
#1 ·
So I just installed a 9900kf into a Z390 MSI ACE MEG and it is only showing 4 of the cores. I was using this computer with another CPU and everything worked properly. I cleared the bios before install and the 9900kf was brand new before install. Bios shows the full 8 cores but in windows I am only getting 4. I have never had something like this happen and I am not quite sure what is causing this. Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
#7 ·
This CPU is already being a pain. So I went to overclock and another issue has popped up. About a minute after it boots up something is setting the CPU to 4.7ghz. I’ve tried setting the CPU ratio to 48, 49, 50. I open cpuz immediately once I boot and it will show the overclock I applied in bios and then a couple second later it will go to 4.7ghz. Even in Cinebench15 or prime95 (tried with avx on and off), it won’t go about the 4.7 regardless of what I’ve set in bios. I’ve overclocked a 9700k on this same board without an issue so I’m not sure why it’s reverting to 4.7 shortly after booting with the oc I applied.

#8 ·
speedstep, eist, all the c-states causing this.. also, go look at your powerplan in windows control panel and set it to either ultimate performance, or performance

#19 ·
that's very interesting. I never would have suspected that. Glad you got it solved though. Enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.